For Sale Another Price drop and update -1966 Proffitts Stage 3 resto, Cummins 4BT H55F, ARB - Sale or trade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For Sale or Trade: updated thread below, price drop to $39k

This is a Proffitt's cruisers Stage 3 frame off restoration of a 1966 FJ40 from a few years ago (EDIT: Now that we have hands on it, the most recent tire is 35th week of 2007, so lets say a late 2007-2008 build). 3500 miles since the rebuild. It is a Cummins 4BT swap. H55f 5 speed transmission with split case. ARB lockers front and rear. Spring over and shackle reversal lift. Full cage, Vintage Air AC system. Warn 8274. Updated seats, stereo, Dune Beige paint.

Truck is new to me, I acquired it in a trade for a Jeep LJ that I built over the past 2 years. I have a thread detailing the trade here Jeep LS-LJ/4BT FJ trade.

It is currently on its way from Toledo Ohio to my house in Maine via shipping transport. As discussed in the thread above, I am not convinced that this engine and SOA combo are what I would like to have long term. Since posting that thread, I have also found a 1967 FJ40 in original condition that I would like to do a patina-resto on. I don't really need 2 FJ40s in my life, as different as this one and the patina rig would be.

My plan was to get this truck to Maine and completely baseline it when I am up there in early October. It needs new tires, and I would likely replace the wheels with FJcruiser steelies. I would baseline all of the fluids, belts, and other small wear items for time, not mileage. AC needs a charge. It does not appear to have any other needs from my test drives and inspection. There is a single paint crack in the hood where the underside came in contact with the battery terminal that will need to be touched up, otherwise cosmetically it is clean.

All that said, I am going to offer this up and see if anyone is interested in the truck as it sits now. Decide on your own tire and wheel combo, do your own fluid baseline, etc. You can have the rack that I was planning to unload immediately. It would save me time and money on a rig I will realistically not keep long term.

I spoke with Jeremiah Proffitts and he confirmed that it is a stage 3 frame off from before the original Proffitt's folded its tent in 2013. It does have an aqualu tub, in my opinion a good thing as it's far from original anyway. It was stored winters in Toledo, so has no salt exposure or rust anywhere. These are the pictures I have for now, but I can get more when it arrives in Maine.

This is a good BAT candidate, but I'll offer it up here on Mud first. Price as it sits is $42k. Clean VA title in hand. This is substantially below what Jeremiah quoted as a retail price (60k, which I thought optimistic) and just above what he offered to buy it from me for. I'm open to reasonable discussion.

Even more, I am quite open to trades, as it's always fun to have something new. I now have the patina rig FJ40, so I am pretty set there. I would consider a rust free FJ45, Troopy, LV, Pig (as rust free as an LV or Pig can be) or 60 preferably closer to stock as partial trades. As I need a new wheeling rig, I am also very interested in partial trades for built 60s or 80s.. Rust free and turn key preferred. Tacoma or 4runners built considered. Other oddball stuff might strike me as interesting, it never hurts to ask.

Not in a hurry, but thought I would put it out there before I start sinking money into the truck. Thanks!

EDIT: thread has gotten long, here's an updated pic.
20191003_174253_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122849_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122909_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122919_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122926_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122933_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122828_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122836_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122944_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122949_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123007_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123013_HDR-L.jpg

Resized_20190223_140949-L.jpg

20190901_124220_HDR-L.jpg

Last edited:
Interested in your 40.
Spoke Jeremiah Proffitt this morning, looking for a 40 to build, recently sold my crawler he built for me in 2007.
He told me about this 40.
Please contact me at 406-459-0140.
Thanks.

Hi Paul,

This is a nice truck, but has a few issues as I've described. Having built an LS converted jeep LJ, I know what goes into these. I don't want to speak poorly of Proffitt's on a public forum, but there are some things here that I wouldn't tolerate in a high end build. The hood was painted directly on bare metal. The fitment of the drivers door is poor, but perhaps that was damaged after the build. Butt connectors on the wiring, and the dual battery setup isn't particularly clean. It's all functional, and would clean up easily. Mechanically it seems excellent. I estimate it would be around $4k or so to fix it up here, hence the price drop from 46k to 42k last night. I can't put this on BAT in its current state, but that's the plan if I hang onto it. Do what it needs, I can't in good conscience misrepresent something.

Jeremiah told me it's a 60k truck, and to replicate it would be 120k for him to do it today. I think this could be purchased, shipped and completely sorted for 50k max, so it's a good value for what it is.

Happy to talk.
Steve

Last edited:
I know what goes into these. I don't want to speak poorly of Proffitt's on a public forum, but there are some things here that I wouldn't tolerate in a high end build. The hood was painted directly on bare metal. The fitment of the drivers door is poor, but perhaps that was damaged after the build. Butt connectors on the wiring, and the dual battery setup isn't particularly clean. It's all functional, and would clean up easily.

If you watch Proffit's YouTube Series you will see he still sucks badly at electrical work and when he details what they do he is oblivious to how to do it correctly. I see that on a lot of builds done by others shops.

My point ,however, is not to have a go at Proffit's I think they are on par with most places my point is that a BIG THUMBS up on you recognizing and detailing the issues as opposed to trying to hide them. I think that add's more value to the sale than the detriments of having the issues.

It is a refreshing change to see someone selling what would be a considered a high end build and acknowledging it is not perfect and any buyer should not buy it expecting to be so.

If I wasn't half way into several builds I would buy it as no way in hell could I build it for what you are listing it at and I could be driving by the weekend hmmmmm :)

GLWS and Congrats on being a stand up guy with your description.

Oh and Jeremiah if your happen to be looking up from your Kanban board and happen to read this PLEASE review how you are doing wiring and have a look at getting a qualified guy onto your team to help you out. Failing that HP Academy (Wiring Fundamentals) has some very informative training courses which could help you out a lot in getting your builds to the next level, apart from that your YouTube stuff is a great watch. Not as funny as Project Wrong way but entertaining non the less.

If you watch Proffit's YouTube Series you will see he still sucks badly at electrical work and when he details what they do he is oblivious to how to do it correctly. I see that on a lot of builds done by others shops.

My point ,however, is not to have a go at Proffit's I think they are on par with most places my point is that a BIG THUMBS up on you recognizing and detailing the issues as opposed to trying to hide them. I think that add's more value to the sale than the detriments of having the issues.

It is a refreshing change to see someone selling what would be a considered a high end build and acknowledging it is not perfect and any buyer should not buy it expecting to be so.

If I wasn't half way into several builds I would buy it as no way in hell could I build it for what you are listing it at and I could be driving by the weekend hmmmmm :)

GLWS and Congrats on being a stand up guy with your description.

Oh and Jeremiah if your happen to be looking up from your Kanban board and happen to read this PLEASE review how you are doing wiring and have a look at getting a qualified guy onto your team to help you out. Failing that HP Academy (Wiring Fundamentals) has some very informative training courses which could help you out a lot in getting your builds to the next level, apart from that your YouTube stuff is a great watch. Not as funny as Project Wrong way but entertaining non the less.

Thanks Yo. I actually thought I was responding via PM, and not on this post, but the statements are true and not really trying to lay blame or publicly call out a builder. I'll leave it up. I've offered it back to Proffitt's directly, and he pointed Paul in my direction. As I said, there is nothing dangerous or wrong about the wiring, just not how I would do it in the high end market. Thanks for the kind words. I don't have it in me to misrepresent something or have there be any surprises. I've been burned before, but will never be an intentional burner. Life is too short, and it's a really small world...especially in a niche like Mud and these old FJs.

@navydivedoc Quick question regarding the attached photo. Below the rear tub, is that storage or fuel tank? Any details on it either way? Both are of interest to me. Thanks

1569975586419.png

Fuel tank. Not sure on details, but the original 1966 under seat tank is not present.

Fuel tank. Not sure on details, but the original 1966 under seat tank is not present.

Ok, I've got a '69 and thinking a fuel tank is my future. I've done some moderate searching and it appears most replacements are the 70s and newer. Not much for auxiliary tanks for the older rigs. Some have suggested having one custom made. Thanks for the quick response.

Ok, I've got a '69 and thinking a fuel tank is my future. I've done some moderate searching and it appears most replacements are the 70s and newer. Not much for auxiliary tanks for the older rigs. Some have suggested having one custom made. Thanks for the quick response.
CCOT has replacement tanks for 68 and up. I've been looking at options for my 67 patina rig.

CCOT has replacement tanks for 68 and up. I've been looking at options for my 67 patina rig.

I was looking for a larger auxilarry tank to mount under the rear tub versus the replacement of the original. Looking for a little bit more than 12 gallons.

It's hard to believe what a difference taking 200 lbs off the roof can make. It looks infinitely better, but even more it is now a reasonable driver. It's still tall, but it doesn't rock and lean in corners like it did with the ridiculous rack up there. I've never been a fan of things on the roof if there is any other way, and this sure solidifies that belief. It's a whole new animal, and I like it a lot more than I did this morning.

20191002_174219_HDR-L.jpg

I thought I would put up some more pics of the electrical since I've gotten a few PMs. I may have made it seem worse than it is. I am finicky in this area. I would have created a separate mounting plate for wires that are on the battery terminals, vs these that are wired directly.
20191002_162950_HDR-L.jpg

Here are a couple of crimp fasteners for the overhead light in the cab.
20191002_174406-L.jpg

As before, there is nothing unsafe or inherently wrong. In my opinion, a repower should look and function as close to OEM as possible.

In other news, looking around underneath and at the switches, there is a front ARB but a rear autolocker of some variant.

Bottom line, this truck keeps getting better. MUCH improved without the roof rack. It will not return.

It looks so much better without the rack!

Get the wheels and tires on! Haha!

I see what you mean about wiring - Not “bad” but not impressive either.

I know this is not a tech discussion. The wiring. A few things. Crimp is better than solder in many applications were vibrations are involved. Heat shrink tubing or heat shrink connectors will help your wiring last for years. That wire going through the steel panel with no protection is a failure waiting to happen. Also buy some wire colors. You can get many many options yet you see a lot with 2 or 3 colors from the parts store. Carroll Smith has some books about racecar building which cover wiring.

New tires on today. I wondered if the narrower wheels (7 vs 10), narrower tires (255 vs 12.5 inch) and narrower track due to wheel offset would make the truck feel narrower and more off balance. Definitely not, and these tires are more confidence inspiring than the balloon 12.5s. I continue to like this more and more. I think it looks more in proportion now, but then I've always liked skinnies.
20191003_174325_HDR-L.jpg

Before

Took a few glamour shots on the rock beach near my house. Still need to clean the truck up and break out the real camera.
20191003_171849_HDR-L.jpg

@Will Van here you go. Easy change to Freeborn Red, 3 panels need paint anyway!

New tires on today. I wondered if the narrower wheels (7 vs 10), narrower tires (255 vs 12.5 inch) and narrower track due to wheel offset would make the truck feel narrower and more off balance. Definitely not, and these tires are more confidence inspiring than the balloon 12.5s. I continue to like this more and more. I think it looks more in proportion now, but then I've always liked skinnies.
20191003_174325_HDR-L.jpg

Before

Took a few glamour shots on the rock beach near my house. Still need to clean the truck up and break out the real camera.
20191003_171849_HDR-L.jpg

@Will Van here you go. Easy change to Freeborn Red, 3 panels need paint anyway!

Looks awesome! Do want.

I edited your photos to showcase the new wheels/tires.

E3-FD53-EF-5-C8-C-4-E21-9631-213747-A1-D1-F8.jpg

B9-F05-D67-8-BF2-4-D0-F-AF42-7-C97-B05-F0-ABF.jpg
Thanks! On vacation with only a crappy tablet and slow Internet...I'm lucky to just get them to load.

200 miles of national park cruising over the past 10 days. Rides well, SOA really is a soft and capable offroad option. Leans a bit into a corner, but not frightening as it sits now.

The 4bt is what it is. Industrial, not subtle, but not intolerable. Quite smooth at idle. There's a resonant frequency around 2000 rpm that sets off the center console and the drivers upper door frame into a rattle. I'll need to track those down if I keep this truck.

In the end, it puts a smile on my face driving it around. Thumbs up and smiles from lots of people.

It's headed into shallow storage as of Saturday in my brother's shop, and he'll pick away at the electrical over the winter as it's slow boat season in Maine. For now, it's still for sale at $42k. Partial trades still considered, but I'm liking it more all the time. In the end, I may have to choose between this and my patina rig, as I need to draw the line at 1 FJ40. I've been on a 55 kick lately, need to leave some room in my life for fine swine.

Needs hubcaps :)

Needs hubcaps :)
Yes, I agree. But, @Racer65 are back ordered and the > $1000 difference for his wheels and a set of caps was hard to swallow on a +/- keeper truck. When we swap this truck for the Pig you built for me, I'm sure we can figure out the hubcap situation ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom