Builds Another OM617 in an FJ40 thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

back at it: I'm frustrated as I have rebuilt the motor and transmission mounts several times and can't find the sweet spot to shoehorn the OM617 and five speed into. It may be that it is too big to fit into a 90" wheelbase.

As it sits the motor is tilted back at an angle, yet the driveshaft is far steeper than is optimal...arg.

On the positive side, I did drive it around the block and it drove surprisingly well.
IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG
The issue with running the engine at an angle (hard to measure exactly what the angle is as the driveway is sloped), is that oil is leaking out of the rear of the valve cover gasket where it pools. A quick look at the valves indicates that the OM617 is designed to operate on level ground as it does not have a deep basin for the oil coming off the valves to drain into-hence when at an angle, it seeps out of the valve cover gasket.

Long story short, if you plan on running a OM617, it is important to make sure you are able to mount the motor level.

Well, I am glad you got to drive it. I still want to change stuff on my swap. I assume you can't drop the front because of the oil pan and axle/ diff issues.

I think that a leaky valve cover gasket is pretty commonplace with those engines (don't know how bad yours is though). On my G-Wagon the engine was slightly angled back and it always leaked some, even after a brand new gasket. I have heard that the aluminum valve covers tend to warp slightly with age, making them nearly impossible to seal completely.

Airhead-that is good to know. It is currently leaking more than can be driven, after I adjust the valve I'll try a new gasket, and if that doesn't work a little form-a-gasket may be in order.

Kief-That's exactly the issue. When I took the preliminary measurements it had really tired springs and the original axles, so things moved around.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove, only got to about 30mph, but no vibrations or steering issues.

If I were to do it over, I would just go with the four speed as that would solve most of the issues, and the OM617 has such a wide rpm range it wouldn't be much of a problem.

IMG_1428.JPG

I'm running a 5 speed in mine too. I just put the tranny frame mounts on the tranny and mounted it in the stock location of the mounts on the frame and then set my motor mounts. Here is my build thread if you want to take a look at my engine angles. Second 40

Last edited:
...the OM617 is designed to operate on level ground..
Well you'll just have to drive it downhill all the time.

I'm running a 5 speed in mine too. I just put the tranny frame mounts on the tranny and mounted it in the stock location of the mounts on the frame and then set my motor mounts. Here is my build thread if you want to take a look at my engine angles. Second 40

I had missed your thread when I searched a while back-I posted a few questions there.

Well you'll just have to drive it downhill all the time.

Lol, that might be one solution!

Played hooky from work, and fixed three things: New valve cover gasket (I hope it holds). Next I removed the redundant electric fuel pump, and it runs much better. I had used an extra electric pump on my last project and liked it as when the truck sat for a while I could let the electric pump run for a few seconds, and save the starter from having to work to pull the fuel to the motor. For some reason, the OM617 doesn't like it. Either that, or the electric pump was not working.
Third, and the big victory, is that the vibration in the motor was caused by the the pulley being a little bent. Don't know how that happened, but if all the things it could have been, that is the easiest to fix.

Now she is running like a champ, tomorrow may go to DMV. Maybe.

Edited because it is hard to write on an Iphone....apologies to those who have suffered due to my poor grammar.

IMG_1563.JPG

Last edited:
I think I've harped on the fact that it is bad idea to pick up someone else's half-finished project unless you get a screaming deal...

But it almost bit me in the tail-end again: One of the last things I needed to do before she is roadworthy is to fix the alternator mount as it appears the PO lost the adjuster bolt. Turns out that bolt costs $60-$90 depending on the source. Since I am cheap/over budget/in a hurry thought I'd make one welding two bolts together. Problem solved. At least, that problem is solved...

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

Took her for the first real drive today-just to the hardware store-but still, the first of what I hope to be many, many drives.

First impression? It drives better than expected, and doesn't feel sluggish (unresponsive) and heavy like the F motor. Almost peppy, especially when the turbo spools up. Even with a straight exhaust, the motor is reasonably quiet.

I don't know how much less the front end weighs with the lighter motor and axle, but I see no need for power steering. Steers pretty easy even at low speed.

I'm running the stock 4:10s, and with the 5-speed first gear is short, as in it feels like it is ready to shift as soon as it gets rolling. If I swap to 4.88s or 5.38s, first will effectively become a granny gear. Won't know which ratio to use until it is more roadworthy. I'm hoping to cruise comfortably in 5th gear at 60, maybe 65. Anything over that is sketchy in an early FJ40.

Not an exciting pic other than the fact it wasn't taken in my driveway

IMG_1572.JPG

YeeeHaw! Crusty lives!!! OK, that's what we used to call it. I told the kids they couldn't play in it any more when I caught them climbing on the hood... Nice job, that is awesome!

Congrats!
I pick up a 144k mile 300d tomorrow. Going to drive it a little but ultimately it'll make its way into a 40/45.

Congrats!
I pick up a 144k mile 300d tomorrow. Going to drive it a little but ultimately it'll make its way into a 40/45.

300d are not turbocharged but makes good parts cars as I have 1 as my parts car. The model number that has the turbocharger is 300td. Also do some research in the good and bad years for that motor. 1984 is one of the best years.

It must be an SD and not a D because it is factory turbo charged. And it is an '84.

300d are not turbocharged but makes good parts cars as I have 1 as my parts car. The model number that has the turbocharger is 300td. Also do some research in the good and bad years for that motor. 1984 is one of the best years.
300D is the sedan, 300TD is the wagon, 300CD is the coupe. All us imported 300's after 1981 are turboed

YeeeHaw! Crusty lives!!! OK, that's what we used to call it. I told the kids they couldn't play in it any more when I caught them climbing on the hood... Nice job, that is awesome!

Crusty? Think their name might stick as it needs a name!

Congrats!

Congratulations on the purchase. As mentioned, I think this motor would work better with a four-speed if you are assembling parts. Good idea to drive it for while and get familiar with the motor so you are not trying to diagnose issues without knowing how, or if, things are working correctly.

Crusty? Think their name might stick as it needs a name!

Congratulations on the purchase. As mentioned, I think this motor would work better with a four-speed if you are assembling parts. Good idea to drive it for while and get familiar with the motor so you are not trying to diagnose issues without knowing how, or if, things are working correctly.
Yup. I'll drive it for a few weeks to ensure she's worthy. I will run an H41 or 42 to make the swap as easy as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom