Annual Ouray trip Aug 4th-7th, 2021 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are around 50/50, I would wait. You can cancel pretty close to last minute without a problem.

I realize I could cancel much later but I want to pass it on to someone else while there is time for them plan appropriately to use it. If I cancel last minute another member may not be able to adjust there plan to take advantage of it.

Looks like @emoto would like it, so I work with him to try and transfer it.

Hopefully it comes together and I will see you all up there.

@Tank5 - did @emoto grab your spot from you?

Anyone else play musical camp sites? If so, let me know so that I can update the list on post #1.

I tried but since I was on the road it took me a day to get back, so it went someone else.

I tried but since I was on the road it took me a day to get back, so it went someone else.

Oh bummer to hear that, hope you're on the campground's list as people do cancel. We've had good luck in placing folks in a camp spot in the past.

I'll update the list.

I was able to book a room at the Tiber Ridge Lodge so I'll be there. I have a couple of Midland FRS/GMRS radios, is there a chance they can hit a ham radio frequency? Seems like some use Ham, others use CBs, and still, others use FRS/GMRS so I was still trying to figure out which one to go with and the easiest was a couple of Midland handhelds.
Does anyone have a plan for which trails we will be running?

I was able to book a room at the Tiber Ridge Lodge so I'll be there. I have a couple of Midland FRS/GMRS radios, is there a chance they can hit a ham radio frequency? Seems like some use Ham, others use CBs, and still, others use FRS/GMRS so I was still trying to figure out which one to go with and the easiest was a couple of Midland handhelds.
Does anyone have a plan for which trails we will be running?
Hey Phil,

Good job on securing lodging in Ouray, not an easy task! Regarding to trail comm, your FRS radios aren't designed to hit the HAM freqs. As suggested, please pick up a Baofeng HAM radio for comm with the group. These things are pretty inexpensive on Amazon!

This group has switches over to HAM years ago. The cool thing is that you can use the CB antenna mount and coax just not the actual antenna. So, if you've already run the wires from the front to the rear of your rig, a simple antenna swap might be all that's needed. On the front end, you might need a tiny connector adapter called SMA adapter to go between the Baofeng radio antenna port and the vehicle antenna coax.

An externally mounted antenna will allow a hand held radio operator to communicate effectively with the group as the terrain makes it challenging to have a line of site between vehicles.

As far as which trails, that is TBD based on weather, group size and ability. We'll setup daily trail rides in the morning during the driver's briefing.

Hey Ali I actually have Spot#4 electric only in front of the office, not the hillside spot. Just wanted to update accurate info. Thanks!

Hey Phil,

Good job on securing lodging in Ouray, not an easy task! Regarding to trail comm, your FRS radios aren't designed to hit the HAM freqs. As suggested, please pick up a Baofeng HAM radio for comm with the group. These things are pretty inexpensive on Amazon!

This group has switches over to HAM years ago. The cool thing is that you can use the CB antenna mount and coax just not the actual antenna. So, if you've already run the wires from the front to the rear of your rig, a simple antenna swap might be all that's needed. On the front end, you might need a tiny connector adapter called SMA adapter to go between the Baofeng radio antenna port and the vehicle antenna coax.

An externally mounted antenna will allow a hand held radio operator to communicate effectively with the group as the terrain makes it challenging to have a line of site between vehicles.

As far as which trails, that is TBD based on weather, group size and ability. We'll setup daily trail rides in the morning during the driver's briefing.

Thanks Ali,

I just order one on Amazon, looks like it should get me by until I put on a real antenna Ham Radio Walkie Talkie (UV-5R 8W)

Some folks here have a decent luck with a longer, floppy antenna for those radios. I'm not sure exactly which one but @lurch might've posted up some info on it. Some folks are using a simple mag mount external antenna to extend the Dx of their radios.

Hey Ali I actually have Spot#4 electric only in front of the office, not the hillside spot. Just wanted to update accurate info. Thanks!
oh gotcha, will update. Thx.

Hey guys, is plan to hit the trails starting on the morning of the 4th, or is that the morning everyone is arriving?

Thanks!

My Spot is going to open up soon. going to need to bail on the trip. Let me know if you want my spot before I cancel it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, is plan to hit the trails starting on the morning of the 4th, or is that the morning everyone is arriving?

Thanks!

we will be running trails starting Thurs am, which is the 5th. But there's no reason why you can't check out the trails on the previous day.

For anyone going up early or departing late, I just came across this notice today.

550 closure.jpg

Never mind.
never mind.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom