annoying things after 7mos and 3500miles on my 21HE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.

As the title says, had my silver HE since FEB and I absolutely adore it. There are a few very annoying things though:
1)Would the reflash of the trans for the prior LC's apply to mine? Most of the time, I'm hearing clunks during shifting between 1st and 2nd. The early upshifting is also annoying too. Im considering disconnecting the battery so my LC could be a relearn.

2)Even though I thought I got used to how this baby brakes, it's always an hairy adventure. (I would press on the brakes like 6 car lengths before the car stopped ahead of me and still not smoothly come to a NON-head jerking stop)

3)Sometimes on the freeway, my lc feels underpowered. I would press on the gas and there would be no OOOMPH

any thoughts?

The brakes took getting used to because of a non linear friction coefficient. They do eventually bed in and smooth out. I have 22,500 miles on my 2020 HE

1) I doubt the early 8-speed reflash would apply. The lower gears are a really low and there is some jerkiness.

2) Seems odd. I don't ever have a head jerking stop

3) Press harder. The transmission like to shift early into a high gear and stay there to maximize mpg. Once it downshifts, the LC will scoot right along.

My 16 had that odd jerk between first and second. They did the tsb and that jerking went away even wife noticed it drove better.

I wish mine only had 3,500 miles on it lol.

17,000 miles, and it is stopping more smoothly. But I've had to max brake at 75mph for deer, and you have to hold on, it is a violent slowdown, great brakes!

Wide-open throttle is plenty impressive after my 80s and 100, but you can't be gentle on the throttle. It is smooth and no drama, so doesn't feel like it is accelerating as much as it is.

Hello all.

As the title says, had my silver HE since FEB and I absolutely adore it. There are a few very annoying things though:
1)Would the reflash of the trans for the prior LC's apply to mine? Most of the time, I'm hearing clunks during shifting between 1st and 2nd. The early upshifting is also annoying too. Im considering disconnecting the battery so my LC could be a relearn.

2)Even though I thought I got used to how this baby brakes, it's always an hairy adventure. (I would press on the brakes like 6 car lengths before the car stopped ahead of me and still not smoothly come to a NON-head jerking stop)

3)Sometimes on the freeway, my lc feels underpowered. I would press on the gas and there would be no OOOMPH

any thoughts?
ECT PWR button. I drive with it on all the time.

4) the cooled seats SUCK. They don't blow nearly hard enough. My 2016 ram froze my butt. Kinda pissed the cooled seats, especially on the bottom, are so poor.

4) the cooled seats SUCK. They don't blow nearly hard enough. My 2016 ram froze my butt. Kinda pissed the cooled seats, especially on the bottom, are so poor.
They’re not ‘cooled’. They blow ambient cabin air and do not have a direct vent HVAC connection.

The 100 series at least has a ball vent under the steering wheel which was quite nice.

Yes, Toyota simply blows whatever the cabin air temp is currently set at, they don't have a direct A/C vent, that's why they call them "ventilated". They don't have much in way of velocity/force, I have always been disappointed in them in every Toyota I've owned with the feature. The blower motor for the seats is rather noisy as well too, I hardly noticed them in my buddies GMC the other day.

1. No refresh available for your 21. Disconnecting the battery will do nothing. Try the etc button as mentioned.
2. Hmm. Don’t know what to say about this one. Put more miles on the truck. I’ve not had this issue. First land cruiser ?
3. This is a 6000 lbs land tank. You do need really step on the accelerator for it to respond. This is an old school SUV.

You can take care of 1 and 3 with the pedal commander and tranny reflash. I'm not convinced the newer ones come from the factory with the flash. Number 2 is just something you either get used to or you don't, but there is nothing wrong with it (the 100 series is even more "grabby"). You can read this whole thing if you want, but I suggest you just buy off Amazon and return if you don't like it...and I bet you love it.

I was disappointed in the power of my 2019 and installed a pedal commander. It was ok but sorta felt like it was hunting at interstate speeds. I took it out after a few thousand miles. I now have about 55k on mine, mostly interstate driving between 85 and 90. I noticed an significant increase in power and throttle response after about 35k miles. Its stronger now than its ever been. Im about to pull it off commuter duty by the end of the year and relegate it to play vehicle so it can live out its next 30 years at my farm.
The brakes are strange. I think the jerks you are feeling are happening as the transmission downshifts while you are coming to a stop. If you watch the tach you can see it jump in concert with what feels like the brakes grabbing. This is exaggerated by rutted or grooved pavement at intersections. I actually find myself modulating the brakes to smooth out the jerks subconsciously. Have you hit the brakes somewhat firmly yet and had the cruiser try to help you out by locking them up? 90’s technology at its finest!

They’re not ‘cooled’. They blow ambient cabin air and do not have a direct vent HVAC connection.

The 100 series at least has a ball vent under the steering wheel which was quite nice.
My first gen Tundra had this. It was amazing. Very dissatisfied my 200 didn’t have one.

Re 1st-2nd…

Even my 08 has always had this tendency between 1st and 2nd…most noticeably when sort of “coasting” between the two gears in, for example, highway slow-downs or traffic.

I really notice the downshifting during decel, not thrilled with that whole approach. Mildly jerky, and why? I used to downshift my stickshift when I was a kid, my dad said "which is easier to work on, brake pads or transmission?" I stopped downshifting. I'd rather it didn't do that.

Love my pedal commander. Like others said, will solve 1 and 3. completely changes the way the vehicle drives and is extremely adjustable.

Love my pedal commander. Like others said, will solve 1 and 3. completely changes the way the vehicle drives and is extremely adjustable.
I loved mine on my Raptor and plan on getting one for my 200 LC. Interestingly, on their site they don't have an option for the 5.7L engine. 4.7L is has high as they go. Did you just purchase the PC27 model? It seems to be the same model regardless of the engine chosen.

I loved mine on my Raptor and plan on getting one for my 200 LC. Interestingly, on their site they don't have an option for the 5.7L engine. 4.7L is has high as they go. Did you just purchase the PC27 model? It seems to be the same model regardless of the engine chosen.
Yes it is the PC27. I dont know why but I thought i was able to select the 5.7 when I ordered, but dont see it now.

Oddly enough you can add it to your cart from multiple screens that do not ask for engine, but some do. The PC27 works, wouldnt hurt to put your year/engine in the order notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom