...and the dumbest question of the year is... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dont worry about scratching it...the trees and rocks I hit cause a lot more damage than me leaning on it!

PWS-tire_small_small.jpg

HitchMate® TireStep

^ this. It's totally changed my anger and aggression into being more pleasant to be around. Of course it's a pain to use with flip flops if one flip...flops :p

Those things are great!

BTW @NLXTACY - Great work on your new venture! I will be a customer shortly.

Harbor Freight carries these. Work great and are adjustable enough to fit my 37's. John
Ya, couldn't remember the various places that sells them, more was just for the concept and handyness vs a step stool that likes to slip out from under you :) :cheers:

This thread reminds me why my front fender mounted mirrors are so annoying... :bang:

Ya, couldn't remember the various places that sells them, more was just for the concept and handyness vs a step stool that likes to slip out from under you :) :cheers:

But, they are hard on shins when stumbling around the rig!

You could always let the air out of the tires.

I will have to see if I can find it but three is a few pics of me SITTING in the engine bay of a 94 Chevy with a BB swapping intake gaskets or something. Just get in there and do what you have too, or a good step stool works
Totally different...I remember sitting under the hood of my k20 too and I was 6'3 ( just over 6'2 with back injury and age lol) you could have virtually shoved another 350 under the hood and still had more room to work on stuff than the land cruiser.

If you're worried about the fenders go buy a mechanics fender cover and be done with it. As far as working on them at near stock height...I have no opinion, I can't remember what that was like, I use a ladder for most things and if I really need to get in there I will lay across the top of the engine, or work on it from underneath if possible.

Last edited:
Harbor Freight carries these. Work great and are adjustable enough to fit my 37's. John

They do?

I can't find them on the website.

Totally different...I remember sitting under the hood of my k20 too and I was 6'3 ( just over 6'2 with back injury and age lol) you could have virtually shoved another 350 under the hood and still had more room to work on stuff than the land cruiser.

If you're worried about the fenders go buy a mechanics fender cover and be done with it. As far as working on them at near stock height...I have no opinion, I can't remember what that was like, I use a ladder for most things and if I really need to get in there I will lay across the top of the engine, or work on it from underneath if possible.

I did that too on my 69 K20. All was OK until I installed the HEI distributor and didn't have one of the plug wires in far enough........ I hit my head on the hood pin on my way backwards off the radiator support......

You can also use milk crates upside down to stand on, but you need to use bungee cords to the front axle or to the wheels to hold them in place. Get and ARB or equal bumper installed and you can stand on that. Or you can mount the following: McMaster-Carr item 8035T52 to the front bumper, one on each side.

Or....Let the air out of the tires.

^ this. It's totally changed my anger and aggression into being more pleasant to be around. Of course it's a pain to use with flip flops if one flip...flops :p

Can you throw a tape to that?
I'm thinking 1-1/2x1-1/2x11ga for frame, and I already have the Grip Strut.

This is the dumbest question, and I am so glad someone asked it. I found the tire step in Northern Tool for $25, "Ironton Truck Service Step - 300 lb Capacity". I needed this and didn't know they existed.

hmmm, may have to take a second look at that capacity number...

Whatever you do, don't allow your stool to come out from underneath you are leaned way over the front while holding some heavy parts and then land directly on your ribs. In the battle of "ribs" VS "core support", support wins. Learned that on an F250 I had. 2 months of cracked rib pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom