Am I foolish to Trade My 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@ryanCA summed it up best by saying that 200 owners generally don’t contemplate making the move to a 4runner. The 200 is the better vehicle in just about every way, not the least of which is prestige.

I previously had an FJ though, and honestly I miss it’s off road dimensions fairly often when I’m wheeling in the lumbering 200. I’d venture to say the 4Runner is actually a better (tidier) off road machine in most situations and probably has more range on a tank of fuel. The 200’s have very limited range, and most of us carry extra fuel when we are in the Southwest.

If it were me and I already had a TRD Pro 4R, I’d keep it. That’s a good truck and should serve you well. There’s also a much stronger aftermarket so you can individualize the truck to make it more unique.

@ryanCA summed it up best by saying that 200 owners generally don’t contemplate making the move to a 4runner. The 200 is the better vehicle in just about every way, not the least of which is prestige.

I previously had an FJ though, and honestly I miss it’s off road dimensions fairly often when I’m wheeling in the lumbering 200. I’d venture to say the 4Runner is actually a better (tidier) off road machine in most situations and probably has more range on a tank of fuel. The 200’s have very limited range, and most of us carry extra fuel when we are in the Southwest.

If it were me and I already had a TRD Pro 4R, I’d keep it. That’s a good truck and should serve you well. There’s also a much stronger aftermarket so you can individualize the truck to make it more unique.

I've been looking thru the internet trying to find a 200 that is a few years old with less than 50,000 miles. There's a few out there. But they are commanding a high price. Not that that surprises me.

But I went thru some Toyota spec sheets and found some very interesting information.
The payload on the TRD Pro is 200lbs more than the LC, That I did find surprising,,,

The range per tank is a big issue for me. I have carried up to 5-20L fuel cans on past trips in older gas guzzling Land Rovers and getting almost 16 mpg off pavement is very nice in the 4Runner. My experience has been less weight over long rough tracks make for much more reliable travel in remote areas.

It's beginning to look like the 4Runner is winning out for several reasons in my current situation.

Absolutely I'd like to have a kitted LC, but trying to justify it from a realistic and not an emotional point of view is the real conundrum.

I'll going to continue looking, and if the right truck at the right price becomes available logical reasoning may just lose out.

Jeff

I'm not so sure about your numbers. According to toyota.com the LC has 20 lbs more cargo load capacity. It tows 3100 lbs more. By my mileage calculations from my 16 4Runner and 16 LC the 4Runner only got about 41 more miles per tank. It's more, but not that much much. Plus, my 4Runner saw a lot less offload time than my LC already has so the numbers may be closer that that, but I don't know for sure.

I do, however, think that the V8 in the LC has a bigger power band than the 4Runner so as you load down the 4Runner it will lose fuel efficiency faster. I wouldn't be surprised if a built and loaded LC doesn't actually get more miles per gallon than a similarly built 4Runner.

Now...all that said...I *loved* my 4Runner so I'm not trying to talk you out of it or into an LC. Just debating the numbers you posted.

I do, however, think that the V8 in the LC has a bigger power band than the 4Runner so as you load down the 4Runner it will lose fuel efficiency faster. I wouldn't be surprised if a built and loaded LC doesn't actually get more miles per gallon than a similarly built 4Runner.

That's a fair point. You'll probably have to flog the 4Runner more as opposed to the giant 5.7L mill that'll do whatever you want with minimal hassle, less throttle input, fewer gallons. Would that make a huge difference? No idea.

That being said, I'd keep the 4Runner that's already built to your preferences. The aftermarket for the 4Runner is far superior to the 200 at this point. I deep down wish I still had my 3rd Gen (plus my 200).

Fellas,
Thought I'd chime in.
I'm scouring thru the forum and educating myself on details of the 200. The forum has proved useful in researching the LC.
Its given me an insight on the possibilities of a great build, not that I don't know how to kit a truck, because I've done it to many.
But I always want to learn from others. A truck build can get costly. So i try to stay openminded and take note from others who have experience with the model to be built.

I continue my search, and if the right truck happens my way I'll be reading thru the forum to help with the build.

Again, Thanks to members on the forum to help educate me on the new Land Cruiser..

The 200 is another league above the 4runner..... it's not cheap to "kit" but well worth the price and is uniquely capable once done... albeit not for tight trails but more for overland and hauling arse across whatever you need to..... as I plan for big bend next month I'm stoked to finalize my final few tweaks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom