Am I foolish to Trade My 4Runner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The tubes surrounding the spare? No idea...
I guess he wanted to protect his spare's sidewalls from....something?

43589358837.461423273.IM1.20.544x408_A.1000x666.jpg

You guys are being cruel that somebody’s baby

Whoever's baby it was apparently never drove it anywhere...with a claimed mileage under 3000...

That's horrifying... :confused:

srsly, that wouldn't even make it around the block in New England, you'd be pulled over instantly. Crap like that makes me glad we have lift laws.

FWIW, Two years ago we traded a 2014 4Runner Trail Edition for a 2015 LC 200 and have never regretted the deal. We love the 200 MUCH more than the 4Runner and we especially like the extra power and luxury features.

The 4Runner got 19-20 mpg on the highway, and the 200 gets 17-18, so I think that's a fair trade-off for the extra power and luxury. We also think the 200 has a better off-road ride and demeanor than the 4Runner. The 200 is also better in the snow too.

In the end, it's obviously your choice.

The tubes surrounding the spare? No idea...
I guess he wanted to protect his spare's sidewalls from....something?

View attachment 1578113

My guess is that's some sort of cradle that holds the spare in place and lowers or swings away to access the hatch. It's popular in the J**p world:

14-13-010-4.jpg

My guess is that's some sort of cradle that holds the spare in place and lowers or swings away to access the hatch. It's popular in the J**p world:

14-13-010-4.jpg

Funny to me. So while you can access the rear tailgate… There is nowhere to stand while you access it because a massive tire sits between you and the back! Bizarre…

Last edited:
Funny to me. So while you can access the rear tailgate… There is no where to stand while you access it Because you end up with a massive tired between you and the back! Bizarre…

I never claimed it made sense :D There is a lot on that truck that doesn't make sense!

man if you guys had the big v8 diesel in the 200..... question over. hey i have an idea. import a v8 diesel 200:)

Hey Fellas
I've been contemplating buying a late model LC the last month or so. Maybe a 2013-2016 model year.
Thinking under 50,000 miles is a good target vehicle.

Here is my dilemma,
I have a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro kitted w/ Toytec lift, Front Runner roof rack, and a custom built shelving system behind the second row seating. Sitting on 33" Terra Grapplers. The T4R, has all the traction aids (Locking rear diff, Crawl Control, Terrain Response) but lacks KDSS. No Aftermarket bumpers, Sliders, Lights, etc,,,,,
So the 4Runner is basically pretty stock, with just enough kit for reliable backcountry travel here in the southwest US.
It has all the interior amenities I want in a truck. and after almost a year of ownership it only has 7,500 miles on it. ( I ride Motorbikes more than drive, and when I recreate in the 4Runner it gets trailered to 4 Corners area of the US).

I've owned Two Land Cruisers in the distant past,, a 77 FJ40 and an 86 FJ60,,, Numerous Land Rovers, and Jeeps,

If I bought the 200 I'd likely only do a few modifications. 2-3"suspension lift (Icon maybe, Had a nice kit on my FJCruiser) 33" tires, and a Front Runner Roof rack. The truck will most defiantly see off road service duty. Not super difficult, hard core rock crawling, but lots of desert miles filled with deep sand, full wheel articulation and corrugated travel.

I know I'd be sacrificing a significant amount of fuel economy, I'm getting around 15-16 off pavement with the 4Runner, and when you're in the backcountry that adds up to quite a range difference between the 2 trucks.

Would the 2016 platform be in any way mechanically a better choice than a 13,14,or 15 model year?

So i'm open to hearing advice from any of you that switched from a 4Runner to the 200.

Cheers,
Jeff

View attachment 1577339

I wouldn't move to a 200 unless you need the space. You have a great rig and setup, spend your money somewhere else. Trailer, etc.

Foolish? No. Not at all. If you want a 200 instead of a T4R and you can afford it then get one.

I traded my '16 4Runner Trail Premium in on my '16 200 at just about exactly one year and 10,000 miles. I wanted to build an adventure vehicle and I decided that if I was going to put all sorts of money into a build I wanted it to be on the platform I really wanted.

Also, the 4Runner never beat out my girlfriend's 2016 Tacoma as our weekend adventure vehicle. Her Tacoma had more utility and the ride comfort was on par with the 4Runner. If we took the 4Runner camping it was by choice, not necessity. On the other hand, my 200 can carry a ton and the ride comfort is orders of magnitude better than the Tacoma. We sometimes drive hours before we hit the dirt and the comfort of the 200 is very much welcomed.

You guys are being cruel that somebody’s baby

X2...I'm sure other people say the same thing about us land cruiser owners with our mods we do...to each there own whatever tickles your fancy.

Every 4 runner owner I ever meet tells me they are trying to get a land cruiser next or that is what they aspire to

No land cruiser owner ever tells me they dream of 4runners

Get the cruiser. Don’t look back. You only live once. Drive the best. It is a vehicle for UN, taliban, American millionaires, South African gangsters, and Colombian drug lords

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom