Am I crazy to still drive this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
How bad is this? I'm assuming it's unsafe to drive :( . I don't have that many days left to enjoy it before salt hits the roads here in Ohio, I was hoping to get a few more rides in before it gets parked. I'm installing power steering this winter, so that's why I haven't addressed this issue sooner. Need to get my knuckles rebuilt this winter too.

Last edited:
Ok what you are showing is a torn boot moving in the usual pattern no help to help you.

What I need to see is the same image with you moving the steering wheel or tire back and forward so I can see side ways movement. The other thing I need to see is grab a big pair of multi grips and clamp it over top and nut and squeeze. If you have up and down movement it shows wear.

Now the fact it is still full of grease you probably just have a worn boot which will mean you have many hours of use before you get an issue and you are good to drive it. Watching you move it I don't think you have excessive wear but do the above to confirm.

Pending there is no real movement as above you can just buy a new tie rod dust boot for a few dollars and you are good to go, they are an expense / service part

Appears to just be a torn rubber boot, drive on.

When the time comes to replace those TRE's, -> click here <- for Cruiser Outfitters, @cruiseroutfit ...Oh, they can help with the knuckle stuff too.

Boom, thank you! I didn't think it was supposed to rotate in that direction. None of the videos I found online showed it moving in that direction. We are having unseasonable warm temps up here in Northern Ohio, not ready to but her to bed just yet!

Thank you for the link to TRE’s GA. I already purchased my knuckle rebuild kit from Kurt a few years ago! Just haven’t tackled that job yet. This winter, for sure.

Typical Chevy rims on an FJ40, won't even improve with your P.S. conversion, get FJ40 off-set wheels sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom