alum fenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just got back from trade school (i am a now a journeyman tin basher). anyways time to get the crusier ready for summer i bought some aluminum fenders from aqualu and am wondering how to install them. do i just bolt them to the grill suround thingy and the firewall and just remove the bracket in the middle that goes to the frame. will it be solid enough. i guess i could call them (aqualu) ???

i've not seen them, but why would/could you not use the mount in the middle down at the frame?

if you just mount to the front and at the bottom in the back, those babies'll fall off in time.

as a tin knocker you should know aluminum is a weak metal.and needs more support than that.it would litarly(sp) rip the fender off the bolts.

as a sheetmetal architect i know aluminum is 30% stronger than steel(of the same wieght) it is just not as ductile. if any thing is falling off it is the steel. those fenders are thick. do the brackets bolt to the fender or just rest on it?

I just recently installed a pair of alum. fenders from aqualu....When I called them to ask about the center support, I was told that in most cases they are left out and when you bolt up your new fender if you place a bolt through the bottom of the fender into the running board, that it is supposed to be fairly secure......now having done that I still find that my fenders are a little weaker than I would like them to be....they seem to be tight with the hood latched down....but with the hood up there is still quite a bit of play.

I would have liked to re-use the original brackets that bolt to the frame....but they seem to be rivited to the underside of the fender and I don't like the idea of punching holes through my nice shiney new ones :D I am not a welder...and know very little about it, but I do belive that you can not weld alum to steel? So the only way I think I can get a bracket in there is to build one out of alum. and have it welded to the underside, and bolt it to the existing frame holes.........hope my rambling gives you some insight

as a sheetmetal architect i know aluminum is 30% stronger than steel(of the same wieght) it is just not as ductile. if any thing is falling off it is the steel. those fenders are thick. do the brackets bolt to the fender or just rest on it?

the key statement is "of the same wieght"

i have'nt seen them and was assuming they are made of a simuliar gauge thickness as the oem's. with said,if you took aluminum fenders of roughly 18-16GA and mounted them as stated,they would fall off when the alu ripped past the 4 or so bolts holding it on(2 in the front,two in the rear).

A friend of mine has a set on his cruiser and they seem to be very solid. He just bolted to the bib cowl and running boards.
I went with new steel ones for practically the same price. The aluminium ones have a goofy square look I didn't like. I do have their tub, which is excellent.

yah i think i'll try not using the center support, and i agree the front is a bit weird but i wanted the 3.5" wider ones to cover up my big meats 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom