Alu Cab Gen 3 Expedition RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kind of crazy the prices of these things now.... friend of mine just picked up a camper for almost the cost of a RTT!

The first container lot is sold and they are taking names for the next one in the April-May time frame. My lack of patience doesnt help me here

I dont want the gofast as it only has a 2" mattress

Debating between the Alu-cab, Camp King and Roofnest Falcon

Wanting to hear the feedback on why the one person wasnt happy with the Falcon

Fortunately there is an Alu-Cab dealer in Denver, Roofnest is in Boulder and a Camp King dealer in Steamboat Springs

I should have jumped on the Alpha, but from what I saw it seems similar to the Alu-Cab except for the awning and a few minor changes. I would replace the ladder on the alu cab

I really like the finish on the Camp King and that it is lighter, but it is a lot more expensive. It comes with the insulation built in but no electrical. Can be added

From a size and weight the Roofnest pictures look like it is the best, lightest (135 lbs) with no roof overhang over my rack. It appears to have a lighter canvas (not sure) which would only be a difference in the winter. They keep them in LA from the boat from China, but the price includes shipping to your house

still debating, I built this table for me. Thought I would share. Prices include the sale price for Black Friday I got talking to the vendors. That is why they are different than the web site

The first container lot is sold and they are taking names for the next one in the April-May time frame. My lack of patience doesnt help me here

I dont want the gofast as it only has a 2" mattress

Debating between the Alu-cab, Camp King and Roofnest Falcon

Wanting to hear the feedback on why the one person wasnt happy with the Falcon

Fortunately there is an Alu-Cab dealer in Denver, Roofnest is in Boulder and a Camp King dealer in Steamboat Springs

I should have jumped on the Alpha, but from what I saw it seems similar to the Alu-Cab except for the awning and a few minor changes. I would replace the ladder on the alu cab

I really like the finish on the Camp King and that it is lighter, but it is a lot more expensive. It comes with the insulation built in but no electrical. Can be added

From a size and weight the Roofnest pictures look like it is the best, lightest (135 lbs) with no roof overhang over my rack. It appears to have a lighter canvas (not sure) which would only be a difference in the winter. They keep them in LA from the boat from China, but the price includes shipping to your house

still debating, I built this table for me. Thought I would share. Prices include the sale price for Black Friday I got talking to the vendors. That is why they are different than the web site

I am going back and forth on most of these same tents. At the moment I am trying to decide between the Bush and the Falcon but have not really completely ruled out the others. I have a similar spreadsheet I have made for myself. The only one of these I have seen in person is the Camp King.

I think I saw on expo portal that the Alu-cab Gen 4 might come out early next year. Not sure what the changes are. From what I've seen, there are already some design differences since I bought mine in January. LED interior light is now in the tent ceiling and not on stalks in the floor, which is great.

I am going back and forth on most of these same tents. At the moment I am trying to decide between the Bush and the Falcon but have not really completely ruled out the others. I have a similar spreadsheet I have made for myself. The only one of these I have seen in person is the Camp King.

what was your impression of the camp king and why did you decide against it?

I think I saw on expo portal that the Alu-cab Gen 4 might come out early next year. Not sure what the changes are. From what I've seen, there are already some design differences since I bought mine in January. LED interior light is now in the tent ceiling and not on stalks in the floor, which is great.

My biggest concern with the alu cab and others in that size is the overhang off my truck on both sides impacting airflow and the weight on top of my 200 when off road. Interested in your view. That is the only reason I am considering the Falcon as it isnt any where near the quality of the others

Last edited:
Would I be happier if the width was a bit narrower and fit the lines of my truck? Sure, but that's just aesthetics. I've got a buddy with an Airtop mounted on a prinsu rack on his 80. It fits perfectly and looks great.

The overhang doesn't bother me on my 100. It actually works out pretty well with my awning mount. I wish it was mounted lower on the roof, and I've bought a new 100, mounted a Dissent roof rack to it, and will move the Alu-cab to it soon.

I love my tent. My wife, 3 year old son and myself just did an overnight in it, and there was plenty of room. Given the other tent options I've seen, I don't regret my purchase at all. I spent a week in it at the last 100s in the Hills, and could have easily stayed longer. Definitely yourself the stuck mattress. I did that after my first night in it after purchase.

I met the guys that import the Camp King and took a look at it. It's a nice tent, almost the same as an Alu-cab and the Alpha from what I've seen online. Just a few minor differences. Price would probably be the deciding factor in those three.

I was looking for an aluminum hardshell with a single hinge opening. That's exactly what I got, it fits my needs, and I'm really happy with it.

. Definitely yourself the stuck mattress. I did that after my first night in it after purchase.

Thanks for your reply, what does the above mean? Did you add a 1" foam on top or something?

Thanks for your reply, what does the above mean? Did you add a 1" foam on top or something?

The stock mattress is terrible. I woke up in pain the first night I slept on it. I got rid of it immediately. I tried a 3 inch perforated latex mattress topper in medium firmness. 100% improvement.

Mattresses are definitely individual choices. I think that's one of the reasons the manufacturers go so cheap on the stock mattresses. Why spend money on something people are going to change anyway.

what was your impression of the camp king and why did you decide against it?
There was not anything I really disliked about it. I did like the quality of the build. It is still on my list. I went and saw it the last time I was out in San Diego a few months ago. I think the problem was Joost was saying that he did not think they could ship one without damaging it. Not sure if they have solved that yet. He seemed to be pushing the James Baroud in some ways. I have ruled them out. I see to many problems with them.

My biggest concern with the alu cab and others in that size is the overhang off my truck on both sides impacting airflow and the weight on top of my 200 when off road.

If you're interested, I can post a pic of it on top of my 100 so you can get a good idea of the width in comparison to the vehicle. The 200 is a bit wider than the 100, isn't it?

As far as the weight goes, that's the only thing I run on top of my truck. The mattress I added is about double the weight of the stock mattress. I wheel my truck and use it as a daily driver. I haven't noticed the weight. I do keep it in mind while driving though. I make sure everything else I carry is low in the vehicle and majority of it between the axles, if possible.

There was not anything I really disliked about it. I did like the quality of the build. It is still on my list. I went and saw it the last time I was out in San Diego a few months ago. I think the problem was Joost was saying that he did not think they could ship one without damaging it. Not sure if they have solved that yet. He seemed to be pushing the James Baroud in some ways. I have ruled them out. I see to many problems with them.

There is a dealer in Colorado up in Steam Boat springs. You could make a ski trip out of it :)

Here is where I am at. The Bush Company would have been nice, but don't want to wait until POSSIBLY May and they dont know what the price will be for that shipment

Talked to some owners who had quality issues and others who didnt. Wanted this because of concern on weight on roof and overhang causing wing drag. Otter let me know that with a 100 it isnt an issue so with a 200 . . . . . :) Hey I owned a 100, an 80 and other 40's

That leaves the Camp King and Alu-Cab. I can get both here in Colorado from local dealers installed at their shop

The Camp King seems to be better quality, but Alu-Cab isnt a slouch there either (I believe). There are other differences I think tip in Camp Kings favor: lighter weight, better ladder, nicer finish on exterior. On the other hand, electrical isnt extra in the Alu-Cab and I do like the 6 pocket arrangement. It really comes down to is the difference worth $700

I am going to look at an Alu-Cab this weekend and hopefully that is enough to make my decision. I did see the Camp King two years ago at Cruise Moab, but didnt look with the scrutiny of a buyer. I do remember it was cool and I liked it.

BUT I could turn into waffle boy and change my mind :cool:

Here is where I am at. The Bush Company would have been nice, but don't want to wait until POSSIBLY May and they dont know what the price will be for that shipment

Talked to some owners who had quality issues and others who didnt. Wanted this because of concern on weight on roof and overhang causing wing drag. Otter let me know that with a 100 it isnt an issue so with a 200 . . . . . :) Hey I owned a 100, an 80 and other 40's

That leaves the Camp King and Alu-Cab. I can get both here in Colorado from local dealers installed at their shop

The Camp King seems to be better quality, but Alu-Cab isnt a slouch there either (I believe). There are other differences I think tip in Camp Kings favor: lighter weight, better ladder, nicer finish on exterior. On the other hand, electrical isnt extra in the Alu-Cab and I do like the 6 pocket arrangement. It really comes down to is the difference worth $700

I am going to look at an Alu-Cab this weekend and hopefully that is enough to make my decision. I did see the Camp King two years ago at Cruise Moab, but didnt look with the scrutiny of a buyer. I do remember it was cool and I liked it.

BUT I could turn into waffle boy and change my mind :cool:

When you consider that price difference between the Alu-cab and the Camp King, consider the price of any upgrades. Judge the merits of the mattress and ladder between the two.

I swapped the mattress - $200
I use a telescoping ladder - $100

The Alu-cab ladder is awesome, if there was a good place to store it. Inside the tent is a horrible choice, even with the storage bag. Hopefully, any new versions will ditch the one piece ladder.

I already pointed out the mattress issue.

Thanks Richard

I was planning on going with a 1" mattress topper. Think that is under $100. Other Alu-Cab owners have had success with that. I also plan on going for the telescoping ladder. Electrical costs extra in the Camp King

The holiday prices I have are $3800 for the Alu-Cab vs $4500 for the Camp King. For the Camp King I would also have to drive 3 hours to Steamboat springs, not a big deal though

still need to look it over. Your being happy with it offroad and doing Ouray ( assume black bear as well) is a factor here. I know Richie from Boston loved the Alu Cab until he saw the Alpha

My experience is that both Australia and South Africa put out quality products

Anyone have a Camp King with a comparison to the Alu-Cab?

Any other Falcon owners ?

I talked to Jeremiah Proffitt since he has a Camp King. He likes the Camp King Better and stated they have better struts, but he also said the Alu-Cab is a quality product.

I was going to a local dealer today to look at an Alu-Cab. They didnt have any in stock but would give me a pre Black Friday 5% discount for when the shipment comes in

They were demoing a 2018 model that belonged to one of the folks who worked there and they told me he was selling it to go with a camper setup for his truck. It had some scratches on the outside and was perfect on the inside. He had already taken care of the two complaints I see in reviews. He bought a telescoping ladder and added a 1" foam mattress. I bought it for $3000 no tax as it was a private sale and they installed it right then and there

I could feel the additional weight on my way home, but not significant

This is for when I don't take my Kimberley Karavan that you can see in the background of my second garage. Hey when you get old and they kids move out you have more money to spend on toys and a place to keep them :)

IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg

@Otter what is the easiest way to take care of the bungy type cord that takes the canvas in. In reviews where it is on the floor they lift it to the top, not something I could do standing on the back of my cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom