Alu Cab Gen 3 Expedition RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That Falcon looks great. 9 more days to buy and save on it too. The side rails and optional top rack rails make it just about as appealing as the alu cab. Do you think it is going to be able to mount to your existing rails instead of needing to keep factory rails and crossbars? Do you have a roof rack? I'm also wondering if with its super thin profile if you can keep bedding in there...

The go fast also look great albeit they seem to be new to the game and $500 shipping is a little bit nuts... I do have some value embedded in companies who have been doing this stuff for 20+ years... But with that said, I think the design is super well thought out, simple, robust, and could be an incredible addition to the rig.
There's a video for mounting and it looks very straight forward and compatible with most racks. I have an aftermarket rack So I can't speak about the factory racks but the video shows you the bracket they use. I agree about the other companies experience. I'm hoping the falcon is well with though out based on their other models.

There's a video for mounting and it looks very straight forward and compatible with most racks. I have an aftermarket rack So I can't speak about the factory racks but the video shows you the bracket they use. I agree about the other companies experience. I'm hoping the falcon is well with though out based on their other models.
For sure. I'm wanting something that I can mount directly to the slots where the factory rails on the 100 series go. I want as low of a profile as possible

I'm interested in this conversation. I know it's old at this point but I would like to seed some conversation...

Would love a roof top tent with:
1. Ability to have maxtraxxs, bikes, hi lift, shovel, awning, and other things attached to the side and top as needed for different types of trips.
2. Comfortable sleeping space for 2 adults (5'-11" and 5'4")
3. Easiest possible set up and take down (probably no softshell) as this will be on top of the truck and I hate the idea of crawling all over the hood, doors, etc. I want simple simple simple...
4. Want to keep things low profile. Ideally remove the OEM side rails/cross bars and then just install the tent to the top. Can I fit in a 8' garage with a 2" lift?

The alucab expedition 3 looks like a clear winner to me but I'm wondering a few things.

1. Is it too small to sleep two people comfortably? Either too short or too narrow?
2. Are there still problems with water ingress? Is the ladder going to be revamped at some point? Seems like a chore to buy a 4k roof top tent and then spend more money on a topping mattress and a new ladder.
3. Can you really install the tent directly to the roof tracks with some finagling with hardware?

I have an Alucab gen 3, purchased in January 2019.

- You can easily mount items to the side rails or the roof. M8(?) carriage bolts easily slide into the side and roof rails to mount items, and M6 bolts slide into the rails just under the edge of the tent.
- Definitely room for 2 people. It's about the size of a full XL mattress.
- I can setup camp and be in bed in just a few minutes. I usually wait to open the tent just before going to bed. If it's wet when I put it up in the morning from a storm, but it's sunny when I stop for lunch, I'll quickly pop it up to let it dry while I'm eating.
- I had mine attached to the factory mounts on my 100 series just using a set of Gamiviti mounts. It sagged in the middle and risked the rubber seals around the edge not sealing completely. I ended up adding a set of alu-cab load bars. Due to the spacing on a 100, if you use load bars, you'll need 3 and need to make a custom bracket for the front mount. I think mine is under 7.5 feet at the highest point. 8 foot garage door would be close, but would work.
- I have had no leaks in my tent. Originally, there were rivets in the roof inside the living space. After the leaks were noticed, they redesigned and removed the rivets. I've been in a snow storm with 35 mph gusts in Monument Valley, and a downpour last week at HIH. Not a drop inside the tent from either.
- The provided ladder is a great ladder, but just isn't convenient to use. There was talk of providing a telescoping ladder instead in the US, but that hasn't materialized. I bought one for less than $100, and keep it in the rear of the truck. I never liked the idea of putting a wet and dirty ladder on top of my bedding.
- I ditched the stock mattress. I don't know of a single RTT builder that provides a decent mattress. I swapped to a 3 inch medium firmness perforated latex mattress topper. For me, it's fantastic. Cost me $200. Should you have to buy a ladder and a mattress for your $4000 tent? No freaking way, but that's the way it is.
- If you do purchase an Alu-cab, cut every metal zipper pull off first thing and replacing the pulls with a corded zipper pull. I couldn't take the jangling all night during a windstorm.

I love my Alu-cab. I've done several trips in the 7 months I've owned it, and I just spent 6 nights straight in it for Hundreds in the Hills. I don't regret the purchase at all, and I'd buy it again.

Let me know if I missed anything or you have any other questions.

just a comment about the jingling zipper pulls... my JB RTT has the same issue! Loud during windy conditions. I used a piece of heat shrink on the pull and it really worked well.

Here's what I did.

IMG_20190309_182226.jpg
IMG_20190309_182148.jpg

@Otter I am mounting up my Alu-cab rtt this coming weekend and I was wondering what ladder you ended up using for yours? I have a 200 series with BP-51 susp lift and 33 inch tires, going on a Prinsu rack and it looks like the supplied ladder is not going to reach. It might just reach, but it's not going to leave any extra in case ground is not level, etc. Also does the ladder you have still use the Alu-cab ladder mounts or something different? If you have a link to which one you bought, that would be awesome. Starting a cross country trip Labor day weekend and trying to get thing sorted out with it sooner rather than later!

@Otter I am mounting up my Alu-cab rtt this coming weekend and I was wondering what ladder you ended up using for yours? I have a 200 series with BP-51 susp lift and 33 inch tires, going on a Prinsu rack and it looks like the supplied ladder is not going to reach. It might just reach, but it's not going to leave any extra in case ground is not level, etc. Also does the ladder you have still use the Alu-cab ladder mounts or something different? If you have a link to which one you bought, that would be awesome. Starting a cross country trip Labor day weekend and trying to get thing sorted out with it sooner rather than later!

I used one of the extension ladders from Amazon, 10.5 foot extension ladder [LINK FIXED]

I swapped the bracket from the Alu-cab ladder to the extension ladder. I just used some longer bolts.

IMG_20190805_082614.jpg
IMG_20190805_082624.jpg

Last edited:
This is just what im looking for. Which ladder is this from Amazon? The link isnt working for me. Thanks!

Yeah, Link's not working anymore. [LINK FIXED ABOVE] I just picked the cheapest ladder that would get to me a few days before leaving on a trip. I think they're mostly the same. I probably couldn't used the 8 foot ladder, but it wasn't 2day prime.

Last edited:
Just when I thought I had decided on the Gen 3, I found the Bush Company Alpha tent. Now I can't decide. I really like the awning of the Alpha. I know Alu-Cab makes the side awnings but they aren't available in the US to my knowledge and that adds cost. Anyone in the same boat?

dont get the roofnest hard top
I would stick with the the go fast camper top, seems to be better made just from inspection
I own the roofnest and not the happiest

The go fast tent frame looks really great and durable. The top though might be a bit less durable? My alucab gets smashed into oak trees all week at work and is holding up. It also seems a bit thin to store bedding in and doesn't have power.

That being said if I was starting over I would buy the go fast. US company, better service.

Any idea on the price for the bush company tent?

It looks great, with impressive features that are missing from my Alu-cab. I love my Alu-cab though. I just took my wife and 3 year old son camping and all of us fit fine. I was able to store 2 adult sleeping bags, a child sleeping bag, 2 pillows and a heavy wool blanket in the tent. That made a lot of space in the cab available for other things. I'd definitely get the Alu-cab again, but I'd look at the bush company tent if the price were comparable.

I know its easy to get caught up in the latest gear. There is always a better mousetrap. I think there are slightly more sophisticated options now that built of the Alu-Cab design. That being said can't really justify replacing my setup. It's pretty awesome. Especially with the shadow awning attached

Any idea on the price for the bush company tent?

It looks great, with impressive features that are missing from my Alu-cab. I love my Alu-cab though. I just took my wife and 3 year old son camping and all of us fit fine. I was able to store 2 adult sleeping bags, a child sleeping bag, 2 pillows and a heavy wool blanket in the tent. That made a lot of space in the cab available for other things. I'd definitely get the Alu-cab again, but I'd look at the bush company tent if the price were comparable.
$3650 +shipping

I know its easy to get caught up in the latest gear. There is always a better mousetrap. I think there are slightly more sophisticated options now that built of the Alu-Cab design. That being said can't really justify replacing my setup. It's pretty awesome. Especially with the shadow awning attached
If I already had an Alu-Cab, the two are too close to consider changing I agree. In my position, the Alpha just slightly wins out in the features department and comes in slightly cheaper too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom