Alterntor options- why just stock or 400 dollar mean green (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dont understand this. I have an 82 fj40 with 2 extra 6 inch lights and a pretty biig stereo and a winch. i realize the small stock alternator is kinda small for this stuff including all my stock stuff so i dont mind moving up to a larger one but all that is available that will swap right in is the mean green at 350-400 bucks. man-a-fre used to offer an 80amp alt. and i think that would do the job but 200 amp mean green is overkill. what a cheap way to get 80 or so amps. does anyone offer a hi ouput alternator that will swap right in to my 40 i would i have get a chevy one or have a shop beef mine up. thanks

Check on the alternator off a mini-truck or early 80's Celica. IIRC they are about 65 amps and look just like the cruiser, but with internal regulator.

Is your stock alternator in good shape? What about voltage reg? Yours is more powerful than mine, and mine (original with new brushes and volt. reg) could handle my 2 extra lights and what used to be a decent stereo easy as long as I'm not idling. If the alternator is shot then its probably worth it to look at upgrading, but mine only needed a cheap set of brushes and an hour to return to good working order.

get a 140 amp power master for about $150.00 be sure to get a bigger wire from alt to bat and your set ,i have a one wire one that handled running my winch for about an hour on idle pulling several stumps out of the ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom