Alternator not charging (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New alternator, new voltage regulator and still not charging battery?
Disconnected the (green) wiring harness going to the voltage regulator and noticed one of the wire connectors was missing inside the harness (see attached picture) was curious if anyone has the same harness that could check and see it that particular connector is missing as a comparison( late 78)
Thanks in advance!

IMG_3192.jpeg

Do you have 12v at the white- red wire at the regulator?

What's the history? How/ when did it stop charging?

Do you have 12v at the white- red wire at the regulator?

What's the history? How/ when did it stop charging?
Will check for 12v at the wire harness as mentioned, hasn’t taken a charge since purchasing it about a month ago, not sure of its history

Might be green-red actually.. not sure, but it should be fed from the ignition switch when in the 'On' position via the Engine fuse (check and clean) although your ignition wouldn't work if that was blown.

You say FJ so I assume it's Petrol not Diesel?

Maybe add a few photos of the regulator, fuse panel, and alternator wiring if you get chance

Might be green-red actually.. not sure, but it should be fed from the ignition switch when in the 'On' position via the Engine fuse (check and clean) although your ignition wouldn't work if that was blown.

You say FJ so I assume it's Petrol not Diesel?

Maybe add a few photos of the regulator, fuse panel, and alternator wiring if you get chance
FJ40 78, see attached picture for alternator wiring, fuse for regulator was removed with new voltage regulator (did not have the in-line) fuse like the old one.

IMG_3193.jpeg

Ok i think it should look something like this...

You should have 12V on both white-blue wires (alternator) regardless of the ignition switch position.

White-black should have continuity to ground on both alternator and regulator.

You should also have 12V at the black-yellow wire (regulator) but only when the ignition switch is On.

20230922_231921.jpg

Ok i think it should look something like this...

You should have 12V on both white-blue wires (alternator) regardless of the ignition switch position.

White-black should have continuity to ground on both alternator and regulator.

You should also have 12V at the black-yellow wire (regulator) but only when the ignition switch is On.

View attachment 3437641

I have no current on either of the white-blue wires and I am getting 12v on the solid white regardless of ignition switch turned to ON or in OFF position, no power on white-black

You say "no current", but I assume that you mean Voltage - you have a meter set to read voltage between ground (black probe to the body), and whatever you're testing with the red probe?

The white-blue wire should be connected directly to the battery positive terminal via a fusible link near the battery post.
If you don't have +12v on that wire, then it isn't connected and won't charge.
You could check the fusible link, but if the engine starts on a full battery then that should be OK unless someone fudged it.

There is a solder joint on that wire buried in the harness which you could look for, or consider running a temporary bypass from B+ to the alternator white-blue.

Im confused by the solid white though. Where is this?
It sounds like maybe someone added it to replace the broken white-blue?

What unused wires do you have in the green connector?

You say "no current", but I assume that you mean Voltage - you have a meter set to read voltage between ground (black probe to the body), and whatever you're testing with the red probe?

The white-blue wire should be connected directly to the battery positive terminal via a fusible link near the battery post.
If you don't have +12v on that wire, then it isn't connected and won't charge.
You could check the fusible link, but if the engine starts on a full battery then that should be OK unless someone fudged it.

There is a solder joint on that wire buried in the harness which you could look for, or consider running a temporary bypass from B+ to the alternator white-blue.

Im confused by the solid white though. Where is this?
It sounds like maybe someone added it to replace the broken white-blue?

What unused wires do you have in the green connector?
Not sure about this white wire but looks factor, traced it deep into the harness without finding a splice. I did disconnect it while running and it killed the vehicle. I took a picture of the wiring stripped back to show more detail.
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

IMG_3201.jpeg

Not sure about this white wire but looks factor, traced it deep into the harness without finding a splice. I did disconnect it while running and it killed the vehicle. I took a picture of the wiring stripped back to show more detail.
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

View attachment 3437830
That wire should have a blue tracer, but ok.
This is the main feed wire as P. says, and should go to feed the fuse box, and the ignition switch, and it should go to the alternator.
Do you have this white wire at the alternator / regulator?

This is the main feed wire as P. says, and should go to feed the fuse box, and the ignition switch, and it should go to the alternator.
I do not, just the white-blue stripe wire. See attached

IMG_3193.jpeg

It is at the regulator. Sorry

So if this wire is actually white, you'll see it should go to the alternator and the regulator.
Somewhere along the line, yours changes to white and blue but it isn't connected.

I think you'll need to unpick the harness back from the alternator to see where those white blue wires actually go to, or just bypass for now in order to demonstrate that it works when connected to the white wire.

20230922_231921.jpg

So if this wire is actually white, you'll see it should go to the alternator and the regulator.
Somewhere along the line, yours changes to white and blue but it isn't connected.

I think you'll need to unpick the harness back from the alternator to see where those white blue wires actually go to, or just bypass for now in order to demonstrate that it works when connected to the white wire.

View attachment 3438209
I did notice that I have something missing on my regulator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom