Alternator lifespan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
We are leaving on an 7500 mile road trip in one month, headed to the Grand Canyon from NC and making it an adventure. Our 2016 Land Cruiser currently has 165k trouble free miles on it. Our trip will take us off the beaten path and I have been told we should consider replacing the alternator before we go as preventative maintenance. Our LC is completely rust free and has had absolutely zero issues since purchase (other than tires and brakes). Battery is 3 years old and I will be doing front pads/rotors, and new tires before we leave. What do you all think about the alternator? I would hate to be in BFE Oklahoma and need an alternator but also don't want to drop $800 for a new one if we don't need it.

I replaced mine at 150k. Before I replaced it, I carried the new one in the truck as a spare just in case I was in BFE when the original died. I took the old one to a motor shop to have it rebuilt and the tested and inspected it and told me that it was fine and didn’t need to be rebuilt.

I did the same with the starter. DIY starter replacement on a trail or a parking lot would suck and you need more parts than just the starter. The alternator isn’t too bad.

It’s pretty hard to know when these components will fail. IMO, you are in the milage range where failure is getting more likely. I likely replaced mine prematurely but the peace of mind it gives me is worth it to me.

A buddy is currently on a trip out west, his LX has less miles than yours and he lost his starter costing him some time on his trip and a $500 rural tow. I'd replace both the starter and alternator as preventative stuff before you leave. Water pump and plugs should be considered well if they haven't already been addressed.

Different platform but similar design parameters and manufacturers: my 80 had 270k on the original alternator when I went to change the brushes and they and the bearings were fine.

I just turned over 187k on my 200 and have zero worries about the alternator. I did do the starter solenoid around 150 though.

I would have no qualms about the starter at the mileage. If stock. Hopefully you don't have any aftermarket battery systems or hacks as those can sometimes unknowingly create reliability issues.

If it’ll help you sleep better at night I would replace the alternator. You don’t want to be on a trail and not enjoy yourself because you’re thinking the alternator will fail. Starter I think you’ll be fine at this mileage. If starter does fail you can hit it with a metal rod through the passenger wheel well, 90% of the time it’ll kickstart that motor and fire up.

I did a 10,000 mile trip in my 100 series 3 years ago. I brought enough tools to swap out an entire engine. Brought 2 jugs of extra fuel, bunch of tire plugs and a fuel pump. Didn’t need any of that, only thing I needed was Imodium AD because I stopped in Kansas to eat a burrito off this food truck. It destroyed me, I basically got an enema.

Just enjoy yourself and don’t worry too much. We drive Land Cruisers not Range rovers.

Mine made it to about 215k with two batteries for a few years before it went. Maybe just keep a spare with you, if it goes any local mechanic could swap it if needed and you don’t want to do it. Just make sure it’s toyota OEM new not the denso remans.

Original one on a 227k 08 LC that lives in the rusr belt. No issues. I think you should be fine if you are not constantly submerging it in water during deep crossing. Stay safe on your trip.

Mine made it to about 215k with two batteries for a few years before it went. Maybe just keep a spare with you, if it goes any local mechanic could swap it if needed and you don’t want to do it. Just make sure it’s toyota OEM new not the denso remans.
Second bringing a spare if your wanting to play it safe. Mine also went out at 215ish. Just another data point for you.

Your alternator life expectancy is directly correlated to how hard it's had to work and under what conditions over that 165k lifetime.

If you're really worried about it you might just pre-emptively install a new brush assembly with a cleaning and some lubrication for ~$30 in parts.

But if you're really contemplating a new one @ $800 OEM, consider a DC Power upgrade to a 270A @ ~$600. They deliver considerably more amps at idle and under heat. The OE alternators are designed to minimize engine loading, thus maximizing fuel efficiency -- not to maximize amperage output.

I've had a DC Power alternator in my 100 for around 10yrs charging two Group 31s and running lots of accessories Toyota never intended. YMMV - quite literally.

let it rip, i wouldnt worry too much about it unless the bearings are starting to make noise or its beginning to fail. personally i would consider the battery before the alternator, typical battery life span is usually 3-5 years.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will forego the alternator for now. Our LC has been babied and we don't run anything extra on the battery. Two years ago we did just over 6k miles in two weeks driving to MT from NC and exploring Glacier Nat Park. We considered renting something for this trip as I need to do tires and brakes, but then decided we bought the LC for adventure and we couldn't not take it on an adventure. We honestly plan for it to be our last gas SUV and it will be driven until we are no longer driving or able to buy gas. I am still amazed it drives like new and has zero squeaks or rattles.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will forego the alternator for now. Our LC has been babied and we don't run anything extra on the battery. Two years ago we did just over 6k miles in two weeks driving to MT from NC and exploring Glacier Nat Park. We considered renting something for this trip as I need to do tires and brakes, but then decided we bought the LC for adventure and we couldn't not take it on an adventure. We honestly plan for it to be our last gas SUV and it will be driven until we are no longer driving or able to buy gas. I am still amazed it drives like new and has zero squeaks or rattles.
Freeway driving without a trailer is about as easy as it can get on an alternator. Less than 2k rpms, lots of airflow through the engine compartment, quick mileage accrual so the total hours on the engine are low..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom