Alternator for '94 HDJ81? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alternator is done in my 1994 HDJ81. Can anyone confirm which alternator might be a direct fit from a North American vehicle? Since mine is a 1994 stock output is 60amps. I had an issue with the brushes before so a shop had mentioned that a Supra alternator will fit and my alternator has "Supra" and "90A" written on it, but the housing for the alternator still has the factory part number on it 27060-17160. I'm not sure how that works...just upgraded internal parts? I would check with the shop, but they are not around at the moment.

After more looking into it I suspect it is the 90A alternator from a JZA80 TT Supra with manual transmission that will possibly fit. I've found threads where someone has dropped comments that a Supra alternator will fit or also that a Paseo alternator will fit (70A I think?) but I didn't really find any confirmation. Can anyone confirm? I realize if either of those do fit I will need to change the pulley. For that matter will an alternator from a FZJ80 fit? I think 100A and already has the right pulley on it?

If it's recommended to just leave my current alternator with a shop for inspection/rebuild can anyone recommend a shop that's in the Vancouver, BC area (preferably Burnaby area)?

TIA!!!

Pics of alternator...

DSC_0907.jpg

DSC_0909.jpg

Thanks guys.

@beno, I hate to question a mod, but on the 1fz-fe the alternator is on the opposite side of the engine from the 1hdt and I read that it is (or is possibly) a mirror image, so wouldn't the mounting points be different? Or the alternator is a mirror image?

*Edit:

Actually...Looking at this link and the "clock position" it seems like it should be ok.

List: Alternator - 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Connector locations are a bit different but they should still reach I think...

Last edited:
No worries dude. Just passing on info that I have. Welcome to do whatever is best for your situation sir!

:cheers:

I just changed mine- Go to Ashnat Starters and Alternators on E Broadway ask for Ugen. He does all my marine stuff. He has an exchange alternator ready to go for our trucks. I screwed around with mine for a long time before I gave it to him- very satisfied and quite cheap! 604 568 3447. I paid another rebuilder way more than Ugen charged me to do nothing. Ugen pulled it down while I was there and it was a mess.

I also deal with Gary at Aers- very good guy but he does my heat exchangers.

i have a m2kinc.com alternator 390A:clap: direct bolt on. i have also used a 1991 alternator from tercel. i swapped pulleys and thats all that was needed for mods!

Thanks everyone. I gave Ashnat a call and I'll probably stop by there to see if they can diagnose what the problem is in the mean time I looked more into the Tercel alternator suggested above. I had read about this previously as well, but I thought it was lower amps and everything I had read referred to the round connector. After some research I found that later models have the oval plug and are 70amps. I'll just have to change the pulley as veiloctane mentioned. I decided to go this route since the alternator is about half the price of a Supra alternator and I'm not running a lot of aftermarket electrics so I probably don't need a 90amp alternator.

70amp Tercel alternator installed. I tested the voltage and it looks like it's all good :) As previously noted I just had to make sure I bought one for a later model Tercel so it had the oval plug rather than the round one.

Can you post a Toyota part number for reference? That would be cool to assist people.

:cheers:

Good idea :)

The one I picked up was Denso #13486 which is interchangeable with Toyota P/N 27060-11340. Coss referencing It's the part number for the following:

09/1994-06/1999 TOYOTA TERCEL EL53 19-03: ALTERNATOR

04/1991-07/1995 TOYOTA PASEO EL44 19-03: ALTERNATOR

08/1995-06/1999 TOYOTA PASEO EL54 19-03: ALTERNATOR

I hope that helps someone else in the future :)

How much?

How much?

Shipped for $75 USD which was almost exactly $100 CAD. I'll probably still get over to Ashnat at some point with my old one so I have a spare, but I'm working out in Tsawwassen these days so I can't exactly pop by Ashnat during the day.

Good deal!

Sorry for the necro, but I'm going to a deep cycle auxillary and would like to upgrade my alternator (which is currently sitting on my table because i managed to pack it full of mud this weekend).

@Tapage do you happen to have a part number of what years work? Also, how much modification was required?
I did the 150 tundra / Sequoya alt mod and isn't bold on, but fairly easy to make it work in 1HD-T space ..

@veiloctane Which alternator was a 390 amp direct bolt on?
i have a m2kinc.com alternator 390A:clap: direct bolt on. i have also used a 1991 alternator from tercel. i swapped pulleys and thats all that was needed for mods!

@Tapage do you happen to have a part number of what years work? Also, how much modification was required?

27060-0F050

some mods are required / mandatory to the upper bracket ..

20170303154923-584d77f0-me.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom