ALL Accounts Security Locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sucks, but it had to be done. And likely will need to be done periodically in the future too. Keep your email address on your account up to date.

ALL 180k+ accounts on the forum need to reset their password. That includes moderators, Vendors, everyone.

You may reset your password using the email address that is associated with your account. This email addy is the ONLY identifier that proves ownership of your account. If you no longer have access to that email address due to job/life changes, then you need to use the Contact Us form and let me know the email addy that IS on the account, AND the email addy you wish your account updated to. OLD and NEW. Telling me public info like your signature line and your build thread specs won't cut it.

The "Forgot your password?" link is located immediately below the Login box in the right column of the home forum page.

Password minimums have changed. Additional info on this can be found at:

BE SURE your new password exceeds the minimums outlined in the above thread. #ih8crappypasswords

ALSO...most email services have spam filters...and forum password reset emails are notoriously marked as SPAM. You may need to search your inbox/spam/junk folders. Or...for long term happiness, add IH8MUD.com to your email whitelist.
Oh, good, I thought my account was locked because I had too many tabs of the site open.

4750E9F2-06E3-4209-B38C-5DCAF9D245A4.png

That's why I use one of the Password programs....1Password, Lastpass, NordPass, etc.

I honestly have a hundred+ unique passwords that resemble: 2^fHhaTBr1Y7J4dNPWyc#
PLUS Google Authenticator...and more....

So I'm definitely behind the times and pretty clueless. Can you, or anyone, point me towards some articles to help me understand how these apps work, what happens if you lose your phone, buy a new computer, that sort of thing?

I'm finally back on .. but I would think there is a simpler way of doing this.

Locking accounts with sudden high activity, or several other methods are easy to enforce.

I'm finally back on .. but I would think there is a simpler way of doing this.

Locking accounts with sudden high activity, or several other methods are easy to enforce.
Only one user out of thousands had issues that took more than one additional email to resolve.

This process will be done regularly. Good thing too, since 100ish members had OLD email ADDYs, and likely had never updated their passwords either.

Only one user out of thousands had issues that took more than one additional email to resolve.

This process will be done regularly. Good thing too, since 100ish members had OLD email ADDYs, and likely had never updated their passwords either.

Thanks for fixing my account!

I thought I'd said or did something that kicked me out! 😲
Glad it wasn't that!!

Question: how many different password changes before we can reuse/recycle a previous password? Usually requires 10 unique passwords and on the eleventh new password request one can reuse the original (first) password.

Question: how many different password changes before we can reuse/recycle a previous password? Usually requires 10 unique passwords and on the eleventh new password request one can reuse the original (first) password.
When did that rule get made up, 2002? IMO, never reuse a password.

So I'm definitely behind the times and pretty clueless. Can you, or anyone, point me towards some articles to help me understand how these apps work, what happens if you lose your phone, buy a new computer, that sort of thing?
Password managers automate a few things regarding entering your password. They store and usually create complex passwords for you, if you wish, and store them in "vaults", which are accessed through a master password. You enter that when you need to edit or access your "vault", but otherwise you will be autofilling your complex passwords through the app. It's a little high-level for what they're really doing, but for the layman, that's about it. You should never use that master password for anything else, so unless someone physically has access to your machine, you shouldn't need to worry about that master password being stolen somehow.

Haha that's insane! Super long complex passwords don't really help much IMO. What matters is not using the same password across different accounts & services.

That's why I use one of the Password programs....1Password, Lastpass, NordPass, etc.

I honestly have a hundred+ unique passwords that resemble: 2^fHhaTBr1Y7J4dNPWyc#
PLUS Google Authenticator...and more....

Your password on this forum should be unique. If it wasn't before, it should be now :)

Sharing passwords across accounts has long been a no no. And a password remembered is a password guessed. Here is a fun game: Seeing how long it takes your password to be cracked with current off the shelf tech. Go test this idea here and see what I mean. Disclaimer: I would use a new password similar to your actual password for this test instead of your actual one. Never know who's watching :). The general take away is the more characters a password has, the longer it takes to guess using brute force methods. Like @woody says the use of a password manager is a must these days if doing things right. I don't know the password for any account I have. No reason to give folks a chance at simply guessing a password even if they can be sold. Rotating them often enough can handle the breached password trade in short order. Changing passwords on a regular basis can be a real chore these days, with as many accounts that now require them. But until something other than passwords can be used for authentication, its a needed endeavor. I had no issues resetting mine. Most of the 2FA options are still fairly clunky to use, but better than not using them. Thanks for the lookout @woody.

Last edited:
Sharing passwords across accounts has long been a no no. And a password remembered is a password guessed. Here is a fun game: Seeing how long it takes your password to be cracked with current off the shelf tech. Go test this idea here and see what I mean. Disclaimer: I would use a new password similar to your actual password for this test instead of your actual one. Never know who's watching :). The general take away is the more characters a password has, the longer it takes to guess using brute force methods. Like @woody says the use of a password manager is a must these days if doing things right. I don't know the password for any account I have. No reason to give folks a chance at simply guessing a password even if they can be sold. Rotating them often enough can handle the breached password trade in short order. Changing passwords on a regular basis can be a real chore these days, with as many accounts that now require them. But until something other than passwords can be used for authentication, its a needed endeavor. I had no issues resetting mine. Most of the 2FA options are still fairly clunky to use, but better than not using them. Thanks for the lookout @woody.
Tried the tool. Something similar to old pw: 42 minutes. Then entered a long random string of characters: 17 decillion years. Didn't know "decillion" was a thing...

Damn, sorry you had to use the nuclear option woody.

Damn, sorry you had to use the nuclear option woody.
Me too...based on login stats from yesterday, it does appear the majority of members have reset passwords and updated emails. Other than a few headaches, it has overall served the intended purpose.

This WILL be done again....members using 2FA will be exempt (most of the time) and there are options for a "less than nuclear" password reset process. Of the 5000+ users online yesterday, 370 have enabled 2FA.

I have had a couple members email regarding password issues....the word filters in place clearly work however, since "Toyota80" was not allowed as a password ;) However, "T0y0ta8o" would be (swapping letters for numbers) .

Last edited:
Thanks Woody!

Sure, but nobody is out there guessing your passwords like in the movies. These are database breaches where passwords are stolen in mass and sold on the dark web. So your 128 character complex password was 'hacked' along with the guy using his DOB as his password. Yes, complex passwords are great but like I said, the best security you can have is unique passwords. Most websites have pretty poor security and are hacked into regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom