Alaska Cruiser Trek 2010 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just in case any Trekkers are watching here but not the FB group... Some new info up there now reference the rally time and place.

Mark...

Just about to hit the road :) .... in a 93 Grand Prix :frown:

We departed midday with loaded 4 car trailer,
now in MO.

For anyone coming through Grande Prairie who needs a place to wrench, my garage is open, PM me or call 780 512 3195

I'm leaving in about an hour. The 70 is chock full. I've never had to pack for two people for 10 days. Man that is a lot of chit! The rig weighed in at 5600 lbs without people, spare fuel, or any water on board and 1/2 tank. The little 3b is gonna be working hard the next few days!

Nice load!
My 40 weighed 5800 with 100 Litres of Fuel and all the gear we needed for the trek.
It was quite the ordeal to stop with drum brakes all around.

Or to follow a couple of the lines through the muck/water/rock with the manual steering. ;)

Kevin Charla and I all have to load up for 15-16 days... Gotta think light... minimal comfort and basic foods.

Mark...

For anyone coming through Grande Prairie who needs a place to wrench, my garage is open, PM me or call 780 512 3195

Same for anyone in the Fort St. John area (50mi up Alaska Highway). Need quick shower, camp in my back yard (do have a couch as well ;), spare parts, or a hand wrenching (my shop is permafull) PM me.
Cheers,
Deny

Or to follow a couple of the lines through the muck/water/rock with the manual steering. ;)

Kevin Charla and I all have to load up for 15-16 days... Gotta think light... minimal comfort and basic foods.

Mark...

Yikes, that is a lot of days to pack for!!! I got off easy lol.
See you at Tok!

Current weather in the area we are heading for is overcast, cool (highs in the 50s) and some light rain. Forecast to stay that way for the next week generally, with some sunny breaks, some highs around 70 and some rain showers too.

Edit.... not as cool as I thought.... which is good. :) the lows are in the 50s... highs running 60s-70s

Looks like we will see damp/muddy trails. But the Gokona River should not be high from increased ice melt at least. And we should not see the high (flood leverl) water in the rain fed Tok and Slana rivers which chased us out of the area in 2008.

Hopefully the sunny weather will get here by the time the Trekkers actually meet is at the trailhead.

Of not, then you will all get the revel in the Cold Alaska Rain. :)

Mark...

Last edited:
It is rare in AK to get Oklahoma style gully washers. We do not have the temperature differential between the upper and lower atmosphere to create enough energy for serious nimbocumulus. Even out heavy rains are *usually* pretty moderate. But we do get all day drizzle/moderate rain. I am not expecting anything like that though. This week is overcast with off and on sprinkles over a lot of the state. I expect clearer weather, more likely than a continuation of this. I will look at the sat photos and charts tonight, look at the weather charts browse NOAA's forecast and see if I agree with them. :)

For any Trekkers who might be looking at Mud still, but did not notice Charla's FB post... Apparently not all the fuel stops are open between Fort Saint John and Watson lake... So be careful about running the tanks dry planning to fill up at the limit of your range in that stretch. I can remember years ago, coming up the highway...shutting off the engine and coasting down every downgrade hoping to make the next station with fuel before I went dry. Not fun. :)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom