Alaska Cruiser Trek 2008 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So far there have been a lot of requests for info packets... a lot of interest. But only a couiple of people actually committed at this point and paid up. I'm not surprised... it is a big investment of time and an expensive trip to make. I expect to see some more folks get on board as the deadline approaches... but I don't expect that we will reach the 15 rig limit just from Outside participants. I'd be amazed if we did.

I haven't forgotten anyone on this... If you have asked for an info packet and not received it, let me know... There just has not been a whole lot to add to the situation... and I have been on the computer very very little the past month.... I do check for any Email, or PM... so drop me a line if you have any questions... I should have more of a presence here on mud again before too much longer.

Mark...

How much of a restriction is there on 'locals'?

My rig might actually be together enough to do this run. I'm sure I could cut enough to fit 35's...

Kyle, the only restriction on "locals" is that the rigs have to meet the same standards as everyone else.. and applications won't be accepted from Alaskans until after the deadline for the lower 48s has passed... juts to make sure... that in the unlikely event we have a large turnout... we don't have visitors bumped in favor of locals...

Mark...

mark if you set up a paypal account i will pay you right awy. finding time to buy a us$money order and mail itis stalling me... i know, i know, i seem to have time for mud :rolleyes:

for anyone coming up the Alaska hiway we live in Fort Nelson(mile 300) and if you want to stop by for a beer or need repairs or a yard to pitch a tent give us a shout. Dean

Always looking for someone in the "Forts", Dean (Nelson, St. John, etc.). The next time I'm passing through will be in early March. I have friends in Prince G, Watson Lake and Whitehorse, but always looking to add to the "can stop here" spots along some lonely thousands of miles of roads.
I.....MAY....be trailering a "new" Cruiser or some such, too, when I pass through.... :)
Ranger

Always looking for someone in the "Forts", Dean (Nelson, St. John, etc.). The next time I'm passing through will be in early March. I have friends in Prince G, Watson Lake and Whitehorse, but always looking to add to the "can stop here" spots along some lonely thousands of miles of roads.
I.....MAY....be trailering a "new" Cruiser or some such, too, when I pass through.... :)
Ranger
just drop me a pm before you come throughand i give you my phone# Dean

How do you rate yourself Mark?

I rate Mark as pretty freeking amazing, when you see how he can weld together leaf springs, and troubleshoot and fix just about any vehicle out in the field.

He can even make scarce repair parts fall out of the sky... :cool:

So people obviously aren't getting it. Yes, I have read TT and all the ACT websites. I've also read that Mark says he doesn't trust anyone that rates themselves as a "10". Wasn't trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill but whatever. I was interested in having another point on the slope to determine the 1 to 10 scale. For example, I really like the description of the wilderness experience scale. But I'm attempting to not make a fool out of myself (I know too late) by rating myself too high. From the application -

1 - I ignored a keep off the grass sign once at the city gardens.

10 - I hike into town once every couple of months for a can of beans, a Mother Jones magazine, and some black powder for Ol' Betsy.

I'm neither a 1 nor a 10. If Mark rates himself as a 7, then I'm not going to rate myself as a 6 perhaps. So these are too many words for a fairly simple question. Bottom line I am just curious. I think it is an interesting question about how YOU see YOURSELF not how OTHER PEOPLE see YOURSELF. Perhaps it is a bit too personal, but thought I would ask. Is this crystal clear enough for everyone in the group to understand?

:idea: So it's like one of those job interview questions. "What is your biggest weakness as an employee?"

I would say that if your rig is up to the challenge and you have a good head on your shoulders and done some moderate wheeling and don't have to prove anything to anyone, then you should be fine. It will have mud, some rocks from river/creek beds, hill climbs/decents, and water crossings. My biggest problems came from not having a front locker that was easily engageable and getting high centered in mud, even though towards the end I thin I was getting a handle on mud. I was on the ACT 2006 trip.

I am trying to campaign and round up 3 rigs from Cali including myself. The work is starting next couple of weeks. I am doing a body lift and stuffing 37s on the 80. If you are interested in the Cali convoy PM or email me to 4wdking@gmail.com - I cannot wait - less than 7 months. Planning and preparing for this adventure has already changed my life in more ways than one and I already have to thank ACT2008 for that. It is nice to have big goals. Happy holidays to everyone. I cannot wait to set the odometer to zero and go. Everything on the Santa list is for this trip. I have been good so I hope Santa brings everything.

I'm trying to rate myself on mechanical ability, wilderness experience, and difficulty of trails. I'm higher than a 1 but less than a 10 obviously. How do you rate yourself Mark?

Interesting question. I'm pretty sure rating/ranking is a foreign language to Mark. I'll have some fun here (fun only), since the question is floating out there.

Mechanical Ability: Mark's good
Mechanical Ability in the field: Mark's good
Mechanical Ability in the field, without parts: Mark is really good
Mechanical Ability in the field, without parts or the right tool: genius
Mechanical Ability in the field, when the “field” can mean anything/where/place on the planet: genius (Mark has managed to return every time to continue to be our TT cruiser tech. guru)

Wilderness Experience: Mark would be dead if; A) he did not have wilderness, B) it wasn’t true wilderness. Put Mark in downtown Manhattan – he’ll live but he may wish he is dead.

Difficulty of trails: If it is in pursuit of somewhere Mark wants to be – then 10+ rating, he’ll get there one way or another – with a Toyota, or at least some Toyota parts in his pocket.

Now you do need to realize that Mark is perfectly happy eating wild AK salmon or a 20+ year old MRE (he probably wouldn’t like the newer/kinder versions). And forgive me for letting this out: “No Stinkin Rules”

And I’ll close with this: ACT is a compendium of Mark, AK Cruiser Crew and Alaskan friends that don’t make it down this way too often & Wilderness unlike 99.9% of us ever get to see/experience in our life time.
Bob (stirring the pot)

Now you do need to realize that Mark is perfectly happy eating wild AK salmon or a 20+ year old MRE (he probably wouldn’t like the newer/kinder versions). And forgive me for letting this out: “No Stinkin Rules”

hey don't forget the cookies :D

I rate Mark as pretty freeking amazing, when you see how he can weld together leaf springs, and troubleshoot and fix just about any vehicle out in the field.

Well, its either that or use parachute cord...:grinpimp:

LOL.

Interesting question. I'm pretty sure rating/ranking is a foreign language to Mark. I'll have some fun here (fun only), since the question is floating out there.

Mechanical Ability: Mark's good
Mechanical Ability in the field: Mark's good
Mechanical Ability in the field, without parts: Mark is really good
Mechanical Ability in the field, without parts or the right tool: genius
Mechanical Ability in the field, when the “field” can mean anything/where/place on the planet: genius (Mark has managed to return every time to continue to be our TT cruiser tech. guru)

Wilderness Experience: Mark would be dead if; A) he did not have wilderness, B) it wasn’t true wilderness. Put Mark in downtown Manhattan – he’ll live but he may wish he is dead.

Difficulty of trails: If it is in pursuit of somewhere Mark wants to be – then 10+ rating, he’ll get there one way or another – with a Toyota, or at least some Toyota parts in his pocket.

And I’ll close with this: ACT is a compendium of Mark, AK Cruiser Crew and Alaskan friends that don’t make it down this way too often & Wilderness unlike 99.9% of us ever get to see/experience in our life time.
Bob (stirring the pot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom