Al Clam shell RTTs ( Was Roofnest Falcon RTT) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Anyone seen one personally

Falcon Roof Top Tent - 85" x 50" (or 60" XL) - Sleeps 2+ | Roofnest

The competition are
Eezi-Awn stealth and Blade HARD SHELL TENTS

Alu-Cab Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition Tent

Camp King CAMP KING INDUSTRIES Camp King Aluminum Roof Top Tent

And one coming out in January the bush Company Alpha Clamshell Roof Top Tent - ALPHA (That is in South African money :)

I like the aluminum Hardshell
On the Falcon, I like it is only 50" wide so it doesnt overhang
On the Falcon, I like it is only 130 lbs which is the lightest
On the Falcon, I like the 6-7 inch height for better airflow
I like thetelescoping ladder on the falcon
You can add rack bars on top to carry Max Trax or other
On the Falcon, even though it is made in China the company is local (Boulder) and reviews said they provide quick and excellent customer service

ON the Eezi-awn - Quality is top notch, mattress should be better. Stealth has ladder incorporated, Paul May at Equipt is awesome to work with. Stealth also has more foot room with scissor mechanism. Not sure if that should be a concern

Alu-cab has a lot of reviews and looks like a well built quality unit. It has power, pockets along the roof for storage. You can add rack bars on top to carry Max Trax or other

Camp King is similar to Alu-cab but one reviewer said better quality

Bush Company has two layers of canvas, larger awning covering side windows and has not yet been released in the US (January). Told its around $4K

The Roofnest Falcon is the lightest, least expensive, lowest profile and provides less overhang. If the outside shell is quality, then I can always change the mattress, yet the mattress has good reviews. I can also add power sockets. One key thing would be if my feet will be cramped being a clamshell type. The others are a bit longer

The reason I like these is 15-30 second setup and less than a minute take-down. Staying next to Jeff Hamilton in Ouray, I saw how fast he put his Hard shell down and went on the trails. Having a fold out soft sided RTT takes 5-10 minutes setup and longer on the tear down

This is an advantage also when bringing my trailer with others. Rachel and Wes setup the ground tent as we were wheeling every day and this would provide a fast setup/takedown they could stay in so wheeling everyday doesnt matter

You can tell I am leaning towards the Roofnest Falcon. I plan on going up to Boulder in a couple of weeks to check one out. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

I thought figuring out what I want before Black Friday in case there are sales would be a good thing to do

I had looked at that but narrowed down to the aluminum clamshell design. The Falcon is lighter weight than the extreme and has a lower profile. I have no doubt the Extreme is more comfortable, but that isnt what this thread is about

I'm the the first US distributor for The Bush Company. Please feel free to call or email and I'll happily answer any questions you may have. We just stayed in ours for 3 days over the break out in West Texas. Not much, but I can tell you that the Alpha and 270XT awning performed FLAWLESSLY. Zero condensation with 2 adults and 1 child inside at 35 degrees. Hard rain and blowing wind without a drop of moisture inside. Since the pitch of the roof is so steep when opened, we were able to have our 5 year old sleep along the hinge side at our feet with ample room. Tent is 7 feet long inside and 4.5 feet wide.

Cheers,

Rex Guardione, Owner
Midguard Adventure Equipment
371 fm 517 rd west
Dickinson, TX 77539
ph. 346.289.5382
email. rex@midguardadventure.com
facebook.com/midguardadventure
instagram.com/midguardadventure
midguardadventure.com

Last edited:
I changed the title since it became a broader topic

Is the 270XT awning also from the bush company?

Yes it is. 100% legless. Had it out in 40mph winds over the break and it barely moves.

old post.. I just ordered the Falcon after extensive research.. if you are by yourself you can sleep diagonal that increases head/feet room. but I'm 66inches and the tent is 88 so either way won't be an issue

That bush Company looks to have some nice products, a neat twist with a double clamshell on their Black series MAX

I bought an Alu-Cab- sorry posted in other threads but should have come back here. My concern with it was weight and so I also bought a motorized Auxx-Lift so I could install/remove by myself. It is great to have 8ft garage doors

I am very happy with it from when I can't take my offroad Camper

and yes I did change the rear ARB Bumper to a Slee Rear Bumper from when I got it to when I used it :)
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0326.JPEG
DSC04002.JPG

I also just did the Alu Cab as well, very pleased with it, solid product! Set up and tear down is a breeze. I also like that I can leave some items inside tent when closed, sleeping bag blankets, pillow and of course the ladder. Some of the narrower, slimmer tents don’t allow for that.

A14F940B-393A-4B3B-86FD-A9F9F57EA655.jpeg

4A2D042C-59D4-4E29-B0CF-2C68E9F3E780.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom