AirTabs, aka Vortex Generators, to improve mpgs and keep back clean (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone been brave enough to try these on a 200? I definitely plan to install some on the back and roof of my travel trailer and was thinking about the truck, but I am unsure if I can live with the crude industrial appearance in exchange for the very definite and measurable benefits.....

Read the reviews. They do need about 35 mph airspeed to function, so you would have to drive fast offroad to see any real benefit for dust, but on the highway they would keep the rear glass clean and dry in the rain, for sure. For those of you with aftermarket bumpers, they would keep your spare tire and gear alot cleaner. Payback is short if you drive lots of highway miles, or do lots of towing; I _think_ you could see up to about 5% improvement in mileage, say 0.5 to 0.75 mpg. Not an insignificant improvement on a fuel hog like a 200.

Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome

US ordering info, cost is US$2.75 each and you need three per foot They come in white and black and can be painted:

Airtab - Airtab® Improve Stability, Reduce Spray, Save Fuel

If they work really well on a 200, I might try them..... in spite of the looks.

I used to be an A&P and I personally installed a few VG kits (not these) on light aircraft. The pilots raved about the improvement in control feel and performance, especially at the edge of the flight envelope. They are most definitely NOT snake oil. For example, depending on the model, the stall speed is reducd by up to 10 mph.

Vortex Generators

They would pretty much stop this.... i keep this pic to remind me why I don’t want a camper with a rear door.

9B04006D-36D0-4E73-A7B2-491289377414.jpeg

Comments welcome.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
These have been discussed in RV forums because the huge flat rear of a trailer is a perfect place to improve aerodynamics. Reliable, valid, independent studies of these have not been done yet (that I know of) on RVs or passenger vehicles. The airflow over my trailer is not smooth because of equipment attached to the roof and sides, so I don’t know if they would work. And, I think there are too many variables for anecdotal stories from others to be useful about how well they work. My trailer would need almost $200 worth; a lot for an unknown ROI. In terms of looks, I would not add them to any passenger vehicle, but that’s just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom