airbag light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to post on another thread about the same thing but the thread was closed.

I drained my battery completely. I charged it and everything is good but the airbag light is on.

The other thread was exactly the same.

The procedure to reset was as follows posted by another mudder:

Airbag reset:
Go to DTC in engine bay. Small black box on pass side near firewall.
Put one wire in Tc
Put one wire in AB
Put ignition to on.
Touch
Tc to ground 1 sec
AB to ground 1 sec
Tc to ground 1 sec
AB to ground 1 sec
Tc to ground 5 sec
That should do it. Hope that's clear. You need to do them kinda fast. If it don't work keep trying. I had to try several times to get it right. But it works.

I found the DTC and identified Tc and AB but can't get it to work. When it says Tc to ground, does that mean just touuch it to a bolt or something to ground it or is one of the spots in the DTC the ground. Also, I've been trying to do it by myself, maybe I need someone to switch the ignition to "on" for me so I can be a little quicker to run the sequence.

Ground is ground on the body.

80ways said:
Ground is ground on the body.

Sorry fat fingers on my phone. I did this a while back and it took me about 10 times to get it right but it worked - no more light!

Last edited:
I'm sure the OP has long since gotten his airbag light cleared, but for reference, you can use the golden bolt just above the DTC for your ground point in clearing the light. Works like a charm. Took me three tries. I think you have to turn the ignition off and back to on for each try. This may be obvious or may not be true but that seemed to be the difference in me being successful or not.

Thanks for the confidence chroad but today is the day I finally decided to get it turned off. I wouldn't have but I'm in California and I have to smog it this year.

the light goes off, but then comes back on. Sometimes it goes off during the sequence, not at the end. Sometimes the abs light and cruise lights come on when the airbag light goes off. These are all random at the end, its just the airbag light that is still lit.

I'm fairly sure I am touching the right spots. ( TC and AB) positions but just to make sure, I'm matching the chart on the cover.

TC is in the middle and AB is directly behind and to the rear spot.

Grounding in the gold bolt above the box

ForumRunner_20130518_143311.jpg

ForumRunner_20130518_143311.jpg

Man...working on it right now. Light goes off but comes right back on

problem fixed... took a lot of tries but this was the solution.

seemed like the time it worked... I started the sequence as soon as my wife turned the key to "ON". It flashed on lots of attempts but would come back on.

I can confirm this procedure works...and also that it took many tries for me to "get it just right." The FSM recommends waiting 6 seconds before getting it into ACC or ON position before doing the wire trick.

Does the air bag light have anything to do with cruise control? My 1996 Tacoma cruise stopped working when my airbag light came on 3 years ago. Maybe this is the problem? Thanks for the instructions I will try this.

Sorry, don't know...but I do believe that if your spiral cable (aka "clock spring") is bad or out of adjustment, things like srs airbag, cruise and horn may not work.

Thanks to all for this thread!

Replaced my high beam switch so I can pass inspection and of course, once everything was bottled-up the airbag light was on.

Doofus me tried to reset using the OBD II port and not the diagnostics under the hood.

Slow learner I am...but I finally read everything, then did it correctly.

Thanks again!

I tried to post on another thread about the same thing but the thread was closed.

I drained my battery completely. I charged it and everything is good but the airbag light is on.

The other thread was exactly the same.

The procedure to reset was as follows posted by another mudder:

Airbag reset:
Go to DTC in engine bay. Small black box on pass side near firewall.
Put one wire in Tc
Put one wire in AB
Put ignition to on.
Touch
Tc to ground 1 sec
AB to ground 1 sec
Tc to ground 1 sec
AB to ground 1 sec
Tc to ground 5 sec
That should do it. Hope that's clear. You need to do them kinda fast. If it don't work keep trying. I had to try several times to get it right. But it works.

I found the DTC and identified Tc and AB but can't get it to work. When it says Tc to ground, does that mean just touuch it to a bolt or something to ground it or is one of the spots in the DTC the ground. Also, I've been trying to do it by myself, maybe I need someone to switch the ignition to "on" for me so I can be a little quicker to run the sequence.

I JUST DID THIS ON MY 1996 LANDCRUSIER AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY, NO LIGHTS AND CLEAR AS A BELL, MAMA IS HAPPY, THEREFORE I'm HAPPY..

Worked like a charm! I found it easier to loosen the golden bolt, connect a spade to it and tighten it, good ground. Then I use the pointed tip and go TC, AB, TC, AB, TC HOLD FOR 5. Less than 1/2 :banana:

I’ve dont this 30 times to try and clear the air bag light. No luck. It throws a code 22 but can’t find reference to what that is.

Ive got the airbag light on, but Bluedriver is pulling no codes. Ive tried this reset, but its not resetting. :meh:

Ive got the airbag light on, but Bluedriver is pulling no codes. Ive tried this reset, but its not resetting. :meh:
I ended up putting a used air bag computer in and fixed my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom