Air Lockers with 4WD part time kit question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I am very noob about how these things work , so I have a 2007 LX470 and I have ARB air lockers installed on front and rear and this rig is still under construction, I also purchased a part time 4WD kit that consists of Aisin hubs and Mark's 4WD part time spool.

I am trying to figure out how part time 4WD works when it comes to the transfer case, If I installed this part time kit, would this interfere or defeats the purpose with the front air locker that I just installed?

Again , as I disclaimed above , I do not know how these work and it is a dumb question. Basically what I wanted to know if I installed this 4WD part time kit with my front air lockers do I have the best of both worlds?

some pictures for viewing pleasure:

20230822_112221.jpg

20230823_121143.jpg

Congrats on the major upgrade. In a nutshell when the Aisin hub is at the “free” position, your LX470 is running rear wheel drive only. When it’s at “locked” position then it’s in all-wheel-drive mode. Is your ARB locking differential for the rear or for the front or maybe both?

Congrats on the major upgrade. In a nutshell when the Aisin hub is at the “free” position, your LX470 is running rear wheel drive only. When it’s at “locked” position then it’s in all-wheel-drive mode. Is your ARB locking differential for the rear or for the front or maybe both?
Thanks for the reply. I know how part time 4WD works, my question was is it going to interfere somehow with the front air lockers I have, also will my ATrac will still be there?

Also stated above i do have front and rear lockers.

Thanks for the reply. I know how part time 4WD works, my question was is it going to interfere somehow with the front air lockers I have, also will my ATrac will still be there?

Also stated above i do have front and rear lockers.
I missed that was on the wheel earlier waiting for my daughter in the parking.

I don’t think your new part time 4WD will interfere with your front locker when the aisin hub is in free position (2WD mode), it will lock the front axle shafts on the third member but that same axle shaft will rotate freely on the hub end.

ATRAC will still function and correct the individual caliper braking when the wheel sensor detects over-spinning on that wheel to transfer that torque to wheel where it needs the traction.

Engaging the rear arb locker will pretty much override your ATRAC when engaged as both L&R sides are of equal revolution, same goes on the front when your locking hub is engaged to “locked” position.

I missed that was on the wheel earlier waiting for my daughter in the parking.

I don’t think your new part time 4WD will interfere with your front locker when the aisin hub is in free position (2WD mode), it will lock the front axle shafts on the third member but that same axle shaft will rotate freely on the hub end.

ATRAC will still function and correct the individual caliper braking when the wheel sensor detects over-spinning on that wheel to transfer that torque to wheel where it needs the traction.

Engaging the rear arb locker will pretty much override your ATRAC when engaged as both L&R sides are of equal revolution, same goes on the front when your locking hub is engaged to “locked” position.
Thank you for the explanation, this is what happens when I buy parts on a whim, without further research.

Hubs locked + center diff locked = 4wd. Just locking the hubs will engage the diff, but you won't have any power from the t-case without the center locked.
Will removing the factory spool and replacing it with Mark's spool going to get rid of the locked transfer case? Is this a downside? If so I dont want to do this conversion then.

Hey guys I am very noob about how these things work , so I have a 2007 LX470 and I have ARB air lockers installed on front and rear and this rig is still under construction, I also purchased a part time 4WD kit that consists of Aisin hubs and Mark's 4WD part time spool.

I am trying to figure out how part time 4WD works when it comes to the transfer case, If I installed this part time kit, would this interfere or defeats the purpose with the front air locker that I just installed?

Again , as I disclaimed above , I do not know how these work and it is a dumb question. Basically what I wanted to know if I installed this 4WD part time kit with my front air lockers do I have the best of both worlds?

some pictures for viewing pleasure:

View attachment 3409204

View attachment 3409205
Congratulations…

Yes I am in the middle of that project too. You will need a press … And helps to have certain bearing removal tools.

Now , before disassemble the main output shaft down load and refer to measure the hi speed gear clearance before pressing it apart.
The clearance was too much on mine and had to Oder parts. My parts from Japan have not showed up yet. Dealer said this one part wasn’t available in the US. But I order two one thought USA dealer network and 3 parts total from Japan. The USA supplied one showed up, I have an extra one now afraid if would back order from Japan. Or Vice versa

Now a consideration do the underdrive 10% while you are there. Cruisers… in Utah sell the kits, take two part numbers to make it work. Another guy claims better performance and fuel mileage doing part time and underdrive together.

I also did the low range Marks gear change too.

Good luck!

71278530834__A9A5A609-8D29-492D-8093-D33D1CD235E7.jpeg

F4FE963C-5DDB-469F-9A0B-13B1D27F9CBC.jpeg

F52B0D01-C339-482A-B534-223B7D7285F3.jpeg

60B21A90-CCF8-4FE0-BEA6-9952AB71D5FD.jpeg

IMG_3237.jpeg

Congratulations…

Yes I am in the middle of that project too. You will need a press … And helps to have certain bearing removal tools.

Now , before disassemble the main output shaft down load and refer to measure the hi speed gear clearance before pressing it apart.
The clearance was too much on mine and had to Oder parts. My parts from Japan have not showed up yet. Dealer said this one part wasn’t available in the US. But I order two one thought USA dealer network and 3 parts total from Japan. The USA supplied one showed up, I have an extra one now afraid if would back order from Japan. Or Vice versa

Now a consideration do the underdrive 10% while you are there. Cruisers… in Utah sell the kits, take two part numbers to make it work. Another guy claims better performance and fuel mileage doing part time and underdrive together.

I also did the low range Marks gear change too.

Good luck!

View attachment 3410937

View attachment 3410938

View attachment 3410939

View attachment 3410940

View attachment 3410941
Here next set of pictures wear on hi speed sleeve to hi speed hub

Opened clearance to .022 inch instead of max .0098 call it .010 inches max

IMG_3277.jpeg

9FC39B37-AAC8-41C8-8997-FF1240E085DE.jpeg

C359FF98-A537-4251-98B2-A9F1C65E0596.jpeg

IMG_3249.jpeg

IMG_3248.jpeg

Why do you have to take everything apart? I just have to change my spool like everyone else.

Changing the low speed you have to press apart the output shaft to change the large gear… And idler shaft bearing to change the smaller gear.

Changing the low speed you have to press apart the output shaft to change the large gear… And idler shaft bearing to change the smaller gear.
Right… then you don’t have to go deeper … I did and found some abnormal wear … stand corrected no press or puller needed if you replace the bearing with a new one.

Right… then you don’t have to go deeper … I did and found some abnormal wear … stand corrected no press or puller needed if you replace the bearing with a new one.
Have you got your back
Together and driving yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom