Air Horn Wiring Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

neverdone

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an older 2 Horn Fiamm Airhorn (12v relay and small compressor) to install as a stand alone horn that operates on a separate horn button switch. (so regular horn still works on steering wheel.)

The horn button is a new 5 pole LED light button.

I can't figure out how to wire these all together to work. I can't find any directions for this older relay (no 86 pole).

Here is what I am working with....If anyone can help....I would appreciate it.
Horn Schematic.jpg

I've tried connecting "C" to Battery, "30/51" to Battery, and "NO" to "85 Pole"...nothing.
I think "85" is supposed to be ground or the original horn wire....but I'm not hooking to original horn.

much appreciated.....but this diagram has the relay with "86"pole.
My relay does not have an "86" pole.

Last edited:
You have poles 85 & 87, and 1 & 30/51, use the same process for the relay shown in the diagram, by simply bridging poles 1& 30/51 and to battery positive pole. The relay shown in the diagram is a general purpose relay, if yours doesn't work get another relay that will.

Can you post a picture of the relay and its' markings?

A little more info on the switch would also be helpful.

Last edited:
78fj40mg is correct, connect the 51 terminal to battery + through 14ga wire and a 15 or 20 amp fuse, then jumper 51 to 1.
Connect 87 to the air compressor with 14 ga wire
Connect 85 to the NO button on your switch
Connect C on your switch to ground
Connect the - terminal on your switch to ground and the + terminal on your switch to a switched +12V so it will come on with key and go off with key
(This is assuming the LED in the switch is NOT wired internally to come on when the switch is pushed)

When you push the switch you will connect C to NO to 85 on the relay causing it to activate closing contacts 51 and 87 making the compressor run.

Good luck and DON'T FORGET THE FUSE!!!!

image.jpeg
Thanks for input: Here are pics of air compressor with relay (both are Fiamm and worked when disconnected a month ago...using different horn button).
image.jpeg

You have poles 85 & 87, and 1 & 30/51, use the same process for the relay shown in the diagram, by simply bridging poles 1& 30/51 and to battery positive pole. The relay shown in the diagram is a general purpose relay, if yours doesn't work get another relay that will.

Thanks for info. See below pic. I didn't bridge 1 & 30/51 because they weren't bridged when i disconnected horn and relay earlier.

Those horn compressor motors use a lot of current to spin hard enough to make the necessary air pressure - make sure to use heavy enough wiring and keep your runs as short as possible .
Sarge

Thanks, using new 14 guage auto wire with inline 30amp fuse

78fj40mg is correct, connect the 51 terminal to battery + through 14ga wire and a 15 or 20 amp fuse, then jumper 51 to 1.
Connect 87 to the air compressor with 14 ga wire
Connect 85 to the NO button on your switch
Connect C on your switch to ground
Connect the - terminal on your switch to ground and the + terminal on your switch to a switched +12V so it will come on with key and go off with key
(This is assuming the LED in the switch is NOT wired internally to come on when the switch is pushed)

When you push the switch you will connect C to NO to 85 on the relay causing it to activate closing contacts 51 and 87 making the compressor run.

Good luck and DON'T FORGET THE FUSE!!!!

Coolerman...thanks for reply.
I tried everything, except jumper 51 to 1. Relay clicks, but no horn

Did you connect the ground to the neg pole of the pump?

Connected body ground to neg pole on compressor....and to neg on Horn button....relay clicks with button, but no horn.

Thanks for ideas, I'll keep trying anything you all suggest.

With a VOM check if there's power coming in and out to the air pump when the horn button is depressed.
image-jpeg.1291959

Do you know what the yellow wire is for?

haven't reversed yellow and orange wires, b/c that's how they were hooked up when it was working.
But I will try later and let you know. Will also check using VOM.
Thanks,

haven't reversed yellow and orange wires, b/c that's how they were hooked up when it was working.
But I will try later and let you know. Will also check using VOM.
Thanks,
NOT a good idea to reverse the wires, I've been thinking about so I wouldn't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom