Air filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
Just put through an order for some pre-summer servicing on my cruiser.

Always been fascinated by the OEM toyota 'washable' air filters. Never had a new one in hand though (just have an old trashed one that came with some used parts). I've just been using aftermarket filters.

Anyone actually tried compressed air and washing these as described by toyota?

1685419528817.png

Legible instructions on an 80 series one:

80Series-1FZ-Air-Filter2__66398.1610864510.png

Legible instructions on an 80 series one:

80Series-1FZ-Air-Filter2__66398.1610864510.png
That's quite an easy clean up. I remember having to clean and oil my K&N for my 7.3L Powerstroke... that was a pita.

Is there any condition related to amount of pressure of compressed air? Since it's not oiled it seems easy enough.
How much does it cost compared to annual replacement costs of throw away? I personally stopped using K&N
as they aren't suitable for really dusty conditions without prefilter. Not to mention the above mentioned PITA to service.
I have 2-3 of them on the back of a shelf somewhere. All I know is a clean air filter is godly compared to a dusty one.

It's about 10x cost of a regular filter on partsouq as an example. I didn't buy it because it made economic sense. More just fascination with Toyota's impressive OEM design.

I tried the Toyota washable on my HDJ81. I felt after I had cleaned it off a few times it may not have been as clean as I wanted, so I went back to the disposable. There's no way you are going to get stuff out from between all the pleats. It just didn't seem worth the effort to try and keep cleaning it. And then it's damp after you clean it, so it's not like you can just brush it off throw it back in and drive away.

I've changed over to a panel filter setup now, but before I did that I ran a couple of Baldwin filters.

Hey Nick, here are some pics of mine. I have probably washed this about 3 times myself and who knows how many times it was washed by Steve.. The inside still looks clean-ish.

I think the biggest issue with washable filters is that it takes a whole day or more to dry out, even in mid summer sun! Don't cook them in an oven.. they might shrink.. ask me how I know.

Not quite the bright yellow as the new ones..

20230531_200454.jpg

20230531_200442.jpg

20230531_200517.jpg

20230531_200509.jpg

Hey thanks Chris! I remember we talked about that ages ago and I'd forgotten what your experience was.

I used to have the K&N and would wash it then blow it out with an air compressor and throw it in wet and go for a drive.

I have always wondered about this drying out of a washable filter, my thought if you washed it before a drive as long as it’s not dripping wet, then installing it and starting off on your drive that sucker would dry it out in mere seconds like a Dyson sucking a hot wind in a desert.

I now use the factory paper elements for what I feel is the superior flow and filtration.

I used to have the K&N and would wash it then blow it out with an air compressor and throw it in wet and go for a drive.

I have always wondered about this drying out of a washable filter, my thought if you washed it before a drive as long as it’s not dripping wet, then installing it and starting off on your drive that sucker would dry it out in mere seconds like a Dyson sucking a hot wind in a desert.

I now use the factory paper elements for what I feel is the superior flow and filtration.

Not supposed to blow the k&n with compressed air as it makes holes. And they don't filter well without the oil. But like you say, you moved on anyhow. I just set them in the sun and drink a case. Dries fast then.

Steve you have two 5s under your handle.

Yep I never followed directions real well… just felt like that oily K&N would plug solid with dust on my interior trips with hours of that flour dust. Dish soap bath, “gentle” blow with the compressor ;) followed by another soap bath would get it somewhat looking like it might breathe again, spritz of oil and 3000 rpm blow dry. A time or two I’m might have even taken it for a swim with me in a river trying to un clog it mid trip. Maybe it was my fault, never seen any sign of holes but I still ended up with caked dust in my intake throttle body.

I can say for sure the paper element preforms far better in those flower dust drives. You can find sand dunes in the bottom of the filter housing that vibrated out of paper element that would have just caked up an oiled filter. Importantly for me no more intake throttle body caked with dust using the paper after these long dusty drives now.
IMG_5346.jpeg

Yeah two fives! and you with doubles!
IMG_9655.jpeg

Last edited:
Like I said, K&N need prefilters for that silt/dust. I had one on my ATV that was recommended by the dirt bike crowd.
It wasn't K&N but was washable but it came with two foam prefilters that needed to be cleaned as well. Just too much of
a hot mess to deal with, and forever to dry. An oiled filter on a hot desert highway, probably does as advertised. On a hot
dusty logging road, not so much.

I bought a washable hepa filter for my shopvac a while back, I had to laugh at how similar it was to the cruiser air filters. Slightly different dimensions but not that far off.

Says you can wash them, I assume because the filter media feels more like plastic than paper but I find it cleans off easily with just air, a lot more easily than the paper ones do.

I haven't tried the Toyota washable thing but makes me wonder if it's the same.
Not that I buy Toyo air filters. Usually just fram or whatever.

Wouldn't surprise me to find it's one of these other companies that Toyota rebrands anyways.

And yeah. K&n are great for dusty intakes. Had one on a 3bt 40 back in the day, because there wasn't room for the stock air box. Had a prefilter and it was still useless. Like stretching a pair of nylons over your intake.
Won't be doing that this time around.

Sort of on the topic.

My air filter housing (60 series) flex pipe to smaller diameter (I haven’t measured yet) turbo is on its way out. Anyone found a suitable tapered flex pipe? Toyota part number? Or have a good used one?
IMG_9696.jpeg

I used silicone bilge blower hose on my 12ht, but it doesn't taper.

There's a billion silicone fittings out there... I figure I'll have to use those on my 40. Trying to avoid the hose clamp farm look tho.

And I dimly remember someone saying a ford of some kind had a hose that fit. One of the cheap s***ty Fords. Like a merkur or something

Sort of on the topic.

My air filter housing (60 series) flex pipe to smaller diameter (I haven’t measured yet) turbo is on its way out. Anyone found a suitable tapered flex pipe? Toyota part number? Or have a good used one?
View attachment 3339345

I just looked it up the OEM 60 air hose part number and they're discontinued. (17882-58070 I believe).

Try cheap intercooler silicone might have variable ends
I hope I’m not pulling a negative pressure there but there’s a reason that hose is factory ribbed for your pressure.

I could use a hard pipe and two silicone hose pieces, one a reducer.. but at a last resort.

Depending on how much of a reduction, an exhaust shop could make one in a hard pipe for beer money. ;)

I and a pipe made for my fuel filled when I couldn't buy pipe the sizes I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom