Air Compressor To-Go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not ready to install a built-in air compressor on the Cruiser. What do you all take with you on treks to inflate your tires? Something reliable, powerful, but doesn't take up your precious space? Thanks in advance for your insights as always.

Depends on tire size-I used to bring a Viair compressor to Baja and other trips for 33s, but with 37s on the Baja rig we’ll be switching to a Power Tank.

I have a VIAIR 450P-RV. I use it for multiple applications, but it can pump up 6 Class "A" RV tires to 90PSI, so I'm confident it can handle any tire you'd want to put on a Land Cruiser. It comes in a little tote-bag and has worked well for years.

Viair, portable in its little carry bag and long hose. Meets your criteria and is easy to use. Mine has pumped up lots of tires after playing in the sand.

Ditto. I have a Viair 450 also. Have had it for a few years now and still works great.

I have a VIAIR 450P-RV. I use it for multiple applications, but it can pump up 6 Class "A" RV tires to 90PSI, so I'm confident it can handle any tire you'd want to put on a Land Cruiser. It comes in a little tote-bag and has worked well for years.
Is the only difference between something like a VIAIR 450 and a lower end model like a VIAIR 88P just how much time it takes to fill up the tire? Are there other considerations?

Most of the Viair compressors will shut off automatically when they overheat. I believe the fill time, and the amount of time that they can cycle will differ between models. Some are rated for "Continuous Duty". The lower end ones probably has a smaller piston, and will probably need longer to cool down in the event that they overheat. If I didn't use mine on an RV, I'd probably consider a smaller Viair model. That said, I have no experience with a small model than the 450P-RV.

Last edited:
I am using this smitty built 2781 which has a good fill rate at 5.65 CFM. It works well. About 85% as quick as the dual arb to fill 34” tires. I swapped out the hosing and air chuck with some cheapo harbor freight parts to make a bit more efficient to use.

Ironman also has the same one just rebranded:

Reliable, check.
Powerful, check.
Doesnt' take up space? Errrm....

PD1006_13972_600.jpg

PUMA, it's been the reliable MUD go-to for the 80 section for well over a decade. Mine has been in service for ~7 years. 100% duty cycle. Will take my 315/75r16's from 18psi to 34psi in a little under 2 minutes a pop👍 Good value as you can find them under $350 if you look. I think I got mine for about $250, but everything costs more now.

Now that the 80 is gone, I'm thinking of divorcing the compressor from the tank and mounting it under the hood behind the passenger headlight.

Last edited:
Reliable, check.
Powerful, check.
Doesnt' take up space? Errrm....

PD1006_13972_600.jpg

PUMA, it's been the reliable MUD go-to for the 80 section for well over a decade. Mine has been in service for ~7 years. 100% duty cycle. Will take my 315/75r16's from 18psi to 34psi in a little under 2 minutes a pop👍 Good value as you can find them under $350 if you look. I think I got mine for about $250, but everything costs more now.

Now that the 80 is gone, I'm thinking of divorcing the compressor from the tank and mounting it under the hood behind the passenger headlight.
2x for the Puma they work great

I know it’s not that topic of the thread, but hardmounting a compressor is a mod I haven’t ever regretted. It makes airing up less of a hassle, which in turn makes airing down less of a thought, which means I’m doing it more. It doesn’t hurt that a hardmount can pump tons of cfm.

The other great mod in this vein is high flow air valves for very quick air down. Another way to remove friction from the process.

I grabbed a morflate double recently and I and very impressed. I have had viar and arbs in the past.

There’s always the portable single and dual compressors from ARB as well but they are pricier than the Viar, Smittybilt, Ironman, Puma options.

5A81BB1C-0129-4E58-A31A-B9D81BF95AF3.jpeg

I also have the Viair 450P-RV, and like it. It has a slower fill rate than some of their other models (like the 400P), but can be run continuously (the others have a 33% duty cycle, meaning you can only run it for 20 minutes, then must let it sit and cool for 40 minutes).

I also like that the 450P-RV automatically shuts off when it detects you release the lever on the handle, so you're not running back and forth turning the compressor on and off repeatedly per tire.

It is pretty big, though, and takes up way too much of my drawer. I would have so much more space if I had instead purchased a hard-mounted compressor for the engine bay (which would have cost like 2.5 - 3x more for the full ARB kit, but is what I would do now if doing it over again).

I’m using a Viair 400p Automatic. Nice to have something portable to move from car to car. Yes it’s got a 33% duty cycle but that rating is also assuming 100psi. Since I’m only really using it up to around 40psi I figure it can go a little longer but it’s never taking me more than 20 minutes to air up anyways.

I’m using a Viair 400p Automatic. Nice to have something portable to move from car to car. Yes it’s got a 33% duty cycle but that rating is also assuming 100psi. Since I’m only really using it up to around 40psi I figure it can go a little longer but it’s never taking me more than 20 minutes to air up anyways.
Same here, I go from 18psi back to 40 ish for all 4 tires and have never had it shut down on me.

Last edited:
I have the Ironman version, works great. Like other portables, it gets hot if you are refilling 4 large tires after offroading.

Not for offroading, but for quick top-offs or to fill a flat I really like the Ridgid portable battery inflator. Set it digitially to the desired PSI, and it fills and stops automatically. I keep it in the rig all the time. I used it to keep a flat tire inflated for a few days until I could fix it, but really like it to maintain pressure in all my rigs without dragging a compressor or hose around.

On sale at HD with a vacuum for $79 (no battery) and a lifetime warranty if you register the products w Ridgid. Also comes with a 12v cable to run off your car.

Last edited:
If you are going off road airing down is essential for comfort and grip. Ten miles on heavy washboard will make you a believer. In my experience, airing down is easily accomplished and fast with deflators or pulling the valve core. Airing up, especially in a hot dusty place with no shade takes seemingly forevvvvver. I have a Viair 400P that I mounted under my drawers. It does the job, but once you get in the habit of airing down for a trail and then back up once you reach pavement and maybe needing to do that a couple of times a day you'll long for the fastest possible solution (don't forget the trailer's tires if you're towing). That's going to be either the double ARB that Tex68w showed off above or a Powertank. The Powertank is optimal when it's full and ready to go, but if your trip has you making multiple cycles before a fill is easily available, you'll still want a compressor option of some kind. If doing it again I'd get the dual ARB. If you get the portable one it will be easy to sell and get back most of your investment if you decide it's not for you.

The dual ARB I have under the hood of my 200 was in the GX previously and a 4Runner before that. They are fantastic compressors that last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom