Air Compressor To-Go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With full-time AWD vehicles (ours), the electronics are very happy when all four tires have the same inflation. I pay a price in inflation time with this, but the in-deflate is among the very best accessories I've ever bought. Sure, you are pushing a bunch more volume with this thing, and I have not figured out what characteristic a compressor must have to better/faster handle this, but it's a delight to use...for airing down and up.

Regardless of which way you go, make sure to stop by the postings of the esteemed @gaijin , Chairman of Global 200-Series RCTIP, to ensure you inflate for success.

I use the ARB single compressor for portable needs. Comes in nice case and can fit everything I need. Nice and compact.

+1 for VIAIR. I've got a little 88P that's served me well for a long time.

For around the house, the Makita DMP180ZX is a great little addition to the ecosystem.

+1 for VIAIR. I've got a little 88P that's served me well for a long time.

For around the house, the Makita DMP180ZX is a great little addition to the ecosystem.
I just bought an 88P because it was cheap and no nonsense. Have you used it on trails to deflate and inflate?

I just bought an 88P because it was cheap and no nonsense. Have you used it on trails to deflate and inflate?
I use trail deflators for airing down. Easy to dial in once you get them set like you want.
Trailhead Automatic Tire Deflators - Home - https://www.trailheaddeflators.com/

(nothing to disclose)

For inflating, yes. I've used it a lot without issues. It does get hot, so you'll want to give it some time before packing it back in its bag, or leave it out for a bit to air cool.

Here's my tire kit. Viair 400P, 25ft hose, patch kit, rapid deflator and lug nut socket set. All in a big orange Harbor Freight case that could also serve as a safety pylon if necessary. Great for multiple vehicles or helping folks out.

IMG_9276.JPEG
IMG_9275.JPEG

I've always lusted after the ARB dual unit on the Slee tray, but wow that is big $$$ by the time you're done. I have a bunch of Makita 18V cordless tools, always carry a few batteries and a big impact wrench in the truck, so now I'm wondering about this thing, to replace my old cheapo MV50.

shopping

Amazon product ASIN B09Q4ZDCKB
I'm sure it's not as fast as the big ARB, but the portability is a huge plus. Anybody try one of these?

I've always lusted after the ARB dual unit on the Slee tray, but wow that is big $$$ by the time you're done. I have a bunch of Makita 18V cordless tools, always carry a few batteries and a big impact wrench in the truck, so now I'm wondering about this thing, to replace my old cheapo MV50.

shopping

Amazon product ASIN B09Q4ZDCKB
I'm sure it's not as fast as the big ARB, but the portability is a huge plus. Anybody try one of these?
That's the DMP180ZX I mentioned above. It's nice for topping up in the garage, but I'd imagine it would take a LONG time to go from 12-20 psi to 33 on the trail.

I resisted the mounted ARB twin for a long time but eventually got tired of the compromises on my trusty old portable cheapo, and looking at the not insignificant cost of Viair/comparable, all of those options taking up quite a bit of valuable space in my setup, settled on Buy Once Cry Once. And it has been fantastic.

That's the DMP180ZX I mentioned above. It's nice for topping up in the garage, but I'd imagine it would take a LONG time to go from 12-20 psi to 33 on the trail.
Actually I'm looking at the slightly newer DMP181ZX, which apparently has bigger lungs, higher duty cycle, and a much higher max pressure.

I resisted the mounted ARB twin for a long time but eventually got tired of the compromises on my trusty old portable cheapo, and looking at the not insignificant cost of Viair/comparable, all of those options taking up quite a bit of valuable space in my setup, settled on Buy Once Cry Once. And it has been fantastic.
has anyone done a write up on installing one of these setups? They look slick once in, but I can't find an install using search.

Actually I'm looking at the slightly newer DMP181ZX, which apparently has bigger lungs, higher duty cycle, and a much higher max pressure.
I stand corrected. Seeing the amazon pictures - if it's good enough for a truck tire in dry grass, it's good enough for us!

has anyone done a write up on installing one of these setups? They look slick once in, but I can't find an install using search.

I haven't seen one, just bits and pieces. The slee instructions are pretty good for their bracket for the physical mounting, there is a (critically important IMO) post online about twisting a fitting on the braided stainless hose to get it to run cleanly to the manifold, and for the wiring most people just do it however they can because people so often have significant differences in their power distribution schemes.

I switched some things up with the wiring opting to shorten the ARB harness dramatically rather than bundle all the extra wire. Also I don't have plans for air lockers or in-cab power control, so that was more simple. Thing is most of the wiring is buried under the compressor and fuse box so it would be tough to get pictures and explain my process.

One and done fellas, one and done

e6kzlHy.jpg

lTNOUiP.jpg

I run the Viair 300p which is a bit smaller than the 450 most guys seem to be using. I've used to to air up after beach driving trips and some other off road adventures maybe a dozen times this far with no issues. I only run 33's and it will air all 4 up from 20psi to near 40psi without triggering thermal protection and is reasonably quick for it's size

Dmp181 instructions show a 10 on 5 off duty cycle. I didn’t see a cfm spec.

Dmp181 instructions show a 10 on 5 off duty cycle. I didn’t see a cfm spec.
A few YouTube reviews state the older DMP180 is supposed to do 12 lpm, and the DMP181 does 22 lpm. Dunno where they got that from, though. It is much bigger, twice the weight. Some speculate the DMP181 has the same head as the one in the 40V model.

How does that compare to others?

A few YouTube reviews state the older DMP180 is supposed to do 12 lpm, and the DMP181 does 22 lpm. Dunno where they got that from, though. It is much bigger, twice the weight. Some speculate the DMP181 has the same head as the one in the 40V model.

How does that compare to others?

Converting LPM to CFM it looks like 22 LPM is 0.78 CFM which is nearly ten times slower then the dual ARB compressor. Whoof That doesn't sound fun to air up with.

I made my own "Power Tank" and it works well for me. It stores in a gear bag and is secured during my trip. It fills tires very quickly and lasts for a very long time. For ~$200, I would recommend this over a small air compressor.

Arb single here on a slee tray. Sometimes I wish I had the double, but the single works fine for airing up my 34" tires. I built a four way hose setup (similar to a morflate) that makes airing up much easier (at a tradeoff to storage volume). I think ARB offers this compressor in a portable version. If not, it'd be easy to setup a small pelican case with it to make it portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom