Air Box Post Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AnyMal

no quema cuh
Threads
I was doing some work today and decided to check for the infamous dust seep issue that I've seen so many times.
This is the first time i pulled my air-box out to inspect it and lo and behold there is a post-filter in the top cover and everything was squeaky clean.
Zero dust ingress and its looks to be plastic welded in as part of the cover.

This is the first time ive seen this and thought id ask yall. Perhaps this is an updated part no.?
Im curious if i should blow it out or replace it ever so often...
What yall think? Also should i be worried about that cracking in the inlet hose?

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. My 2013 LC does not have this.

That part # does not come up as valid.

I don't know what the benefit would be except perhaps if you had a snorkel and wanted an easy way to clean out any bugs or bits of leaves. The normal air filter works fine, just change it occasionally and/or remove the bugs. This design looks like one of those grease-catching screens on my kitchen stove vent so I can't see how it would catch much dust but WTF do I know?

It's mentioned a couple times in this thread. My 09 and 11 have it. As to why Geoff's 2013 lacks it, I'd say it was removed by someone else.

That is a post filter, it is after the main air filter element in the flow path. It appears to be intended to smooth the airflow before entering the MAF

I was doing some work today and decided to check for the infamous dust seep issue that I've seen so many times.
This is the first time i pulled my air-box out to inspect it and lo and behold there is a pre-filter in the top cover and everything was squeaky clean.
Zero dust ingress and its looks to be plastic welded in as part of the cover.

This is the first time ive seen this and thought id ask yall. Perhaps this is an updated part no.?
Im curious if i should blow it out or replace it ever so often...
What yall think? Also should i be worried about that cracking in the inlet hose?

View attachment 2921696
View attachment 2921699
View attachment 2921700View attachment 2921698
It is a carbon filter, it is not serviceable from what I recall my 2003 4runner 2UZ have it too.

My bad, as soon as i got back to the garage with greasy hands i knew i done goofed! It is post filter indeed. I guess this is 2014 and newer? Seems to totally solve dust ingress as far as i can see.

Interesting. My 2013 LC does not have this.

That part # does not come up as valid.

I don't know what the benefit would be except perhaps if you had a snorkel and wanted an easy way to clean out any bugs or bits of leaves. The normal air filter works fine, just change it occasionally and/or remove the bugs. This design looks like one of those grease-catching screens on my kitchen stove vent so I can't see how it would catch much dust but WTF do I know?

Like others pointed out it is post filter and one more level of protection past the air fitler.

It looks exactly like that, a grease hood vent. Price it out, i would do it if its reasonable.

Last edited:
That is a post filter, it is after the main air filter element in the flow path. It appears to be intended to smooth the airflow before entering the MAF

Weird, in that other thread yours was still dusting? Have you rectified it since or is that putty doing the job?

It is a carbon filter, it is not serviceable from what I recall my 2003 4runner 2UZ have it too.

Do you know if its restrictive at all?

It's full of charcoal pellets and I feel sure has something to do with BS emissions. It is not serviceable nor removable. When I waterlogged my motor, after pulling intake and spark plugs this was still soaked. I ended up cutting it out with a razor knife. No issues since.

Do you know if its restrictive at all?
I don't think so, I have read that there is no gain whatsoever after removing the filter but a few guys that went into diagnostic that it does smooth out the airflow for the MAF and it somehow affects LT/ST fuel trim of the engine.

Weird, in that other thread yours was still dusting? Have you rectified it since or is that putty doing the job?
I haven't opened it since putting the grease on there, mainly because I can't imagine the stuff not doing the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom