Air bags on AHC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Has anyone installed Coil Rite or the such air bags on a AHC equipped LX570 or a LC200? (LC200 comes with AHC in some parts of the world).

Thanks.

You and @LCHardriver_02 should get together and try it @Mago. He was considering trading in his LX to buy an LC just to be able to install the coil rite bags.

Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser

I don't have an LX but if the AHC sits outside the rear springs then I'm pretty sure you can retrofit. The issue would be how it impacts the rear vehicle height when AHC goes -2" (most likely your rear end wouldn't sink). At +2" there would just be a gap between the bottom of the bag and the rear axle, which shouldn't hurt anything if air line into the bag is properly secured at the top - you just wouldn't get any air bag benefit and it would sort of revert to acting like a bump stop.

Try it and see (and post your results!) The bags cost $100 and take about 2 hours to install. The only downside is you cut the bump stops to install, so you'd need to replace them if you decide to uninstall and go back to the factory setup (IIRC new ones were about $100).

@linuxgod No, not JUST to be able to install airbags, but to get rid of the LX suspension all together... along with some other woes I've been having with the truck.

I love the AHC and wouldn't trade it for standard shocks. I do go off road and love their performance. Only problem is I've already loaded the back end with around 1000 lb (installed drawers and filled them with goodies, large auxiliary fuel tank (170 litres) extra tire carrier and am starting to feel the load.

My front end will remain stock, so is within the spec.

I've already bought the stiffer springs and the bigger shocks (thought I'd buy before they disappear), so I could have an extra load capacity of another 3000 lb or so if I install them..

Thought if I change the suspension my front end will be stiffer since is not loaded, so I was thinking of the bags. I was worried of a fault if the suspension wants to drop low but couldn't because of the bags.. thus asking...

@linuxgod you are right. It won't hurt to try, specially if I install one of those cockpit controlled bags, I could always deflate when expecting a low setting, then re-infalte when needed.

FYI the air compressor and controller are sold separately from the bags. My air bags are firestone and were about $100. The compressor kit is by coil-rite and was about $100 as well. I just mounted mine in the trunk. There's a compressor kit by coil-rite IIRC that has a wireless remote so you can inflate from the drivers seat or even standing next to the truck.

How much sag do you have in the rear? IMO the bags are great if you're carrying a heavy load on occasion (like towing) and want to avoid sag in the rear. If you always carry a heavy load, I would start with heavier springs in the rear. They are helper air bags, not a full air suspension like a Land Rover. If you (hypothetically) add 2000# to the rear, the bags most likely will NOT fully level your vehicle and you'll still have some sag - they are just compressed air (like a tire) and have a max of 35 PSI/240 kPA so you can't just inflate them to 80 PSI (like a load range E tire).

How much sag do you have in the rear?

Actually no sag at all because the car levels itself at any weight within specs. But you can feel the rear spring flattening on speed bumps etc.
I can't seem to source the heavier springs. I will try the standard cruiser springs, they should be much heavier than what I have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom