AHC front corner dropping, christmas tree and bad luck so far with unicorn LX 570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Haven't been on the forum in a while but after an exhaustive search for a LC 200 I recently picked up what I thought was a unicorn find. A 2008 LX 570, one owner, no accidents, lifetime Dallas car, 100% serviced at the Lexus dealership with all service records and 125k on the ODO - $23k. Had it delivered from the Toyota dealership in Dallas to MN sight unseen via uship.

Generally things were good. Undercarriage is 100% rust free, body is in excellent shape, interior is a little worn from 128k miles with kids (and common problems like peeling wood trim), but generally solid. Upon arrival found the AHC only worked intermittently and PS seat warmer not working. After a few rides a squeeking noise developed - maybe belt, maybe pully. Then one day it died at a gas station and wouldn't start. ACC but no start. I've always done my own work, but for whatever reason (maybe inspired by the complete dealer service history) I took it to the Lexus dealer. Bad choice.

Short work of a long story - was at the dealer for 22 days. I told them it wouldn't start, had a squeek and that the AHC wasn't always working. Dealership misdiagnosed the issue as an alternator - replaced that, belt and idler for $2,700. I expressed my disbelief at the diagnosis, but they were adamant. Okay... Picked up the car, drove 1 block across the street to the parts counter for a wiper arm cap it was missing. Dead. Wont start. Walk in the service area to report my findings - manager pull up the work order and lo and behold they never recorded the non-starting issue as the core problem for why it was there (???). So, they told me they'd make it right. Well, making it right turned into another $1,400 or so out of my pocket to get the starter replaced. They also told me there's nothing wrong with the AHC. Picked it up a second time. Start the car, AHC warning on the display with the "!" warning. This is new. I shook my head and said, no I'm not going through this again and drove off. Made it a couple miles and all the warning lights came on. 4Lo, traction, engine, "!". Dropped it off a third time. They contacted me said my bank 2 O2 sensor 2 was bad and that it would be another $1,700. I asked them if they removed that section of exhaust to replace the starter. 2 days without a reply or any contact and they said they had. I told them I didn't think I should have to pay. They ended up covering it under the agreement that I leave no review for my service. Shady. So, supposedly they fix it (maybe they did, maybe not, I don't know). I pick it up about 4 days later, drive it for 100 miles and all the lights came back on again... Incidentally, the AHC does in fact work every time now, but now the front DS sinks shortly after achieving any given position.

So, I have two problems. This christmas tree of warning lights I need to properly diagnose, and the problem with my AHC. On the AHC front, where I'm looking for help from the forum, when you move the car to the neutral setting or high setting, it goes there, but within about 30 seconds to a minute drops down maybe an inch or two suddenly leaving one corner lower than the rest. Is this a known issue? Any thoughts on what it could be?

Christmas lights you start with the battery. How old? Was it tested?
Next is water intrusion under dashboard from cowl area. I got it is Texas car but you are not there anymore. Any heavy rain?

BTW all those problems should not have been such a drama if properly diagnosed. Alternator failure is known, and replacing belts etc is just needed periodical maintenance.
Sorry for the bad luck with the dealer.

Christmas lights you start with the battery. How old? Was it tested?
Next is water intrusion under dashboard from cowl area. I got it is Texas car but you are not there anymore. Any heavy rain?
Dealership said they tested the battery. I haven't even put 1k miles on it yet. It was only in a very light rain (drizzle, although on the day these lights turned on, yes). The service history did report water intrusion into I believe the DS footwell area from clogged drains on the sunroof. I was a little worried about that report. Think it could be related? I want to say it was like 50k miles ago.

Related - yes, high probability. I don't have the link but search the forum there are a couple of threads with pictures, the troubleshooting and how to fix, both the cause of the leak and the effect - the electrical contacts oxidation.

Related - yes, high probability. I don't have the link but search the forum there are a couple of threads with pictures, the troubleshooting and how to fix, both the cause of the leak and the effect - the electrical contacts oxidation.
Hmm... Did the research. Yes, I bet this is in fact the issue. I'll start tearing stuff apart to check out the connectors later.

Anyone have any ideas on the AHC sag?

Make sure you have sufficient AHC fluid in the reservoir, and then check to see if the sensor brackets are all intact? (Same sensors people use to lift the truck via AHC...)

I wouldn’t trust anything the dealer told you at any point.

Agree above and check AHC fluid but if only dropping one corner I would start suspecting a height control sensor.

Get techstream if you don’t already have it. I’m betting water intrusion.. if it was drivers side then yes sunroof or maybe bad windshield install. If passenger side add fresh air intake under the cowl to the list of possible sources.

Reactions: BVE
+1 on getting techstream. For the AHC trouble, I suspect a sensor issue as well. Techstream will be able to tell you what height the truck thinks each corner is at. Then you can troubleshoot from there. Of course if one is broken off, then visual inspection will probably get you there as well.

Make sure you have sufficient AHC fluid in the reservoir, and then check to see if the sensor brackets are all intact? (Same sensors people use to lift the truck via AHC...)
I did a quick visual on the sensor earlier and didn’t see anything. I’ll check the reservoir. Fill through a tube, no cap? Tried to find videos but they’re not great. I’m sure I’ll figure it out once I’m in there too.
Get techstream if you don’t already have it. I’m betting water intrusion.. if it was drivers side then yes sunroof or maybe bad windshield install. If passenger side add fresh air intake under the cowl to the list of possible sources.
what’s a good source for tech stream? Am I safe buying the OBD2 / USB adapter and disc off Amazon or is there a better source?

what’s a good source for tech stream? Am I safe buying the OBD2 / USB adapter and disc off Amazon or is there a better source?

The really basic ones often don’t bring full functionality, like TPMS or the ability to see live data, which will be required for what you need to do. Look for the ones packaged with the “VCX Nano” adapter which a number of us have had good results with.

Also just a heads up it is usually a cracked version of the software and can trigger antivirus warnings in windows. So far I’ve not had any actual problems, but I also have a MacBook mini with bootcamp solely for vehicle diagnostics so it’s not the end of the world if this computer gets infected. I’m not sure I’d want to run this software on a main family computer or something.

There is a fair bit about how to get techstream going in this forum section.. but searching for vcx should be a good start.

So I went back into the service records to see the details of what’s there (traveling - can’t work on car today). The dealer recently found the servo motor on the recirculating system to be broken. I believe it’s stuck in the open position. Maybe stands out, not sure.

On the sunroof leak, here’s the notes entered by the dealer at 100k miles:

DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER STATES FOG LIGHTS WILL NOT TURN OFF ~|~ ~|~100096 WATER DAMAGE 1050 THE FOG LIGHTS ARE STAYING ON DUE TO THE WATER INTRUSION FROM HAVING BOTH SUNROOF DRAINS BEING CLOGGED WITH DEBRIS. LEFT SIDE FLOOR IS WET WITH WATER AND CAUSING THE FOG LIGHTS TO STAY ON DUE TO THE WATER THAT'S IN THE WIRE HARNES

SERVICE: NO LOAN CAR PROVIDED
DESCRIPTION: ~|~NO LOAN CAR PROVIDED ~|~

SERVICE: REMOVED CARPET AND A PILLAR
DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER CALLED BACK AND ADDED THAT WATER INTRUSION WAS FOUND IN DRIVER FLOOR BOARD ~|~ ~|~100097 1050 THE FOG LIGHTS ARE STAYING ON DUE TO THE WATER INTRUSION FROM HAVING BOTH SUNROOF DRAINS BEING CLOGGED WITH DEBRIS. LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE FLOOR IS WET WITH WATER INTRUSION AND CAUSING THE FOG LIGHTS TO STAY ON DUE TO THE WATER THAT'S IN THE WIRE”

And, at 95k miles the warning lights were noted:

SERVICE: CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIRS AT THIS TIME
DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND VSC AND FLASHING 4LO LIGHT CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~ ~|~95243 DIAG 100 GUEST DECLINED REPAIRS AT THIS TIME.

SERVICE: LOAN CAR PROVIDED.
DESCRIPTION: ~|~IN ORDER TO PROVIDE EXCELLENT SERVICE TO OUR CUSTOMERS PLEASE RETURN YOUR LOAN CAR WITHIN 12 BUSINESS HOURS UPON NOTIFICATION OF YOUR VEHICLE BEING READY OR A $95 PER DAY FEE WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR INVOICE. ~|~

SERVICE: JLL - REPLACE WIRE HARNESS
DESCRIPTION: ~|~JLL RECALL ~|~JLL ~|~95243 JLL RECALL JLL001 50 PERFORMED JLL RE-CALL FOR PASSENGER SIDE SEAT BELT.”

Both of those look like red flags on the harness / leak issue. I’m also not clear on what repair was declined on the 95k mile notes. Harness replacement maybe?

Yes they probably declined the harness because that bill can run into the ten thousand dollars plus range depending on how severe the damage is. People have fixed the problem for much less tho. You’ll have a lot of reading to do on here. The problem is usually in the harness connector right at the front of the footwell where the pins corrode.

Recirc door is a very common dealer-caused issue and it likely isn’t the servo motor but the linkage or door itself. There’s a great 3D-printed fix available on here, just search for recirc flap.

And, any time your car goes in for service, lock the glove box and keep the key blade with you. Literally the only sure-fire way to prevent the door being broken.

Yes they probably declined the harness because that bill can run into the ten thousand dollars plus range depending on how severe the damage is. People have fixed the problem for much less tho. You’ll have a lot of reading to do on here. The problem is usually in the harness connector right at the front of the footwell where the pins corrode.

Recirc door is a very common dealer-caused issue and it likely isn’t the servo motor but the linkage or door itself. There’s a great 3D-printed fix available on here, just search for recirc flap.

And, any time your car goes in for service, lock the glove box and keep the key blade with you. Literally the only sure-fire way to prevent the door being broken.
Thanks. More research….

Side note, they wanted $2,700 to fix the recirc issue.

Thanks. More research….

Side note, they wanted $2,700 to fix the recirc issue.
Because the entire dahs needs to come out to replace. Repair in place is much less intrusive.

Get an OBDii dongle and OBD fusion plus the Toyota code pack. At least then you can pull the codes you have and see what’s up. The lights lit can be many things, for example I have the same lights for an issue with my charcoal canister.

probably declined the harness because that bill can run into the ten thousand dollars
How times changed ... when I got my Camry in 96 Toyota had an entire shop manual for only repairing electrical harnesses and connectors and all done in place using hand tools. Even with modern cars most of the connectors can be disassembled and repaired if you know how and have the tools and spare parts.

How times changed ... when I got my Camry in 96 Toyota had an entire shop manual for only repairing electrical harnesses and connectors and all done in place using hand tools. Even with modern cars most of the connectors can be disassembled and repaired if you know how and have the tools and spare parts.
Modern connectors can too, I’ve done it, but dealers don’t want to invest the time (or warranty risk) when one connector has 40 pins and a third of them are corroded.

I did a quick visual on the sensor earlier and didn’t see anything. I’ll check the reservoir. Fill through a tube, no cap? Tried to find videos but they’re not great. I’m sure I’ll figure it out once I’m in there too.

Drop the spare tire and shine a bright flashlight from behind the reservoir to check the level.

To fill, only use cans of AHC fluid, not plastic bottles. There’s a little filter in the neck of the reservoir that you’ll need to remove if you need to add fluid.

Subbed. Electrical issues are extremely problematic. Could this truck be a flood victim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom