Aftermarket oil pressure sender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing coolant temp and oil pressure gauges.
Summit Racing SUM-G2888 - Summit Racing® Electrical Analog Gauge Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
coolant temp sender 1/8-27 npt ????
oil pressure 1/8-27 npt????

For the coolant sender, I'll be using the below adapter in my upper radiator hose.:
Greddy 34mm Radiator Hose Adapter
1/8-28 pt (bst) threads

For the oil pressure sender, I need a T like this:

.........................................1/8 npt female
.....................................................ll
.....................................................ll
Male 1/8 bst to engine ==================female 1/8 bst for stock gauge.

Anybody know where I can find a T like this?

be aware that senders hanging off of tee fittings can crack the tee fittings due to pendulum effect. Some people use steel tee fittings, others use a piece of hose between the block and the tee fitting, but then you have to ground the tee fitting for the gauge to work.

/2cents/

me, I'd be more interested in installing an oil idiot light for those nasty angles when 'wheeling

be aware that senders hanging off of tee fittings can crack the tee fittings due to pendulum effect. Some people use steel tee fittings, others use a piece of hose between the block and the tee fitting, but then you have to ground the tee fitting for the gauge to work.

/2cents/

me, I'd be more interested in installing an oil idiot light for those nasty angles when 'wheeling

I thought about this, the only other option I could think of is an oil filter adapter. Those are big and expensive and have their own leaking issue. I'm not even sure anybody makes one that would work with the 1fz.

filter sandwich plates aren't expensive, any FORD one will fit. thread is 3/4-16. Try to get one that is for a turbo which will have a 1/8npt port. block off any other ports, or use an npt bushing to size it down. Last time I checked they're about $30.

Hayden Automotive 205 - Hayden Thermostatic Sandwich Oil Filter Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

hda-205_w.jpg

if you use an oil cooler sandwich plate, you simply drill holes between the front and back sections to delete the cooler 'function' of the sandwich plate. In the one pictured above, drill large holes thru the plate where you see the single hole at 1 oclock

A two-port plate will give you the option of adding oil temp or an idiot light

HTH.

filter sandwich plates aren't expensive, any FORD one will fit. thread is 3/4-16. Try to get one that is for a turbo which will have a 1/8npt port. block off any other ports, or use an npt bushing to size it down. Last time I checked they're about $30.

Hayden Automotive 205 - Hayden Thermostatic Sandwich Oil Filter Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

hda-205_w.jpg

if you use an oil cooler sandwich plate, you simply drill holes between the front and back sections to delete the cooler 'function' of the sandwich plate. In the one pictured above, drill large holes thru the plate where you see the single hole at 1 oclock

A two-port plate will give you the option of adding oil temp or an idiot light

HTH.

Thanks a bunch.

In the import world, everybody uses expensive adapters for their turbos. Greddy, etc. That's why i thought they were expensive.

I do hate when companies don't list specs. I always like to verify internet info (yours and summit's; nothing personal). Summit lists it in the application section but doesn't even list the o-ring diameter.

I think it's a 2.5" o ring.

all I know is that the ford o-rings and toyota v8/v6/i6 filter orings are the same size. I've taken ford filters off of various toyotas a bunch of times, when people bring their cars here for prepurchase inspections and whatnot.

Bring one of your toyota filters to a parts store and check the size in person :D then haggle like mad to get them to match the price from summit or get it close. save shipping, get it in hand right away!

Yes, the Greddy ones are billet and cost more. They also angle the ports to clear the engine block.

I haven't used this setup on an 80, but it works on a LOT of applications. We've used this for accusump and gauge installations in the ae86 corollas. Cheap n easy.

ymmv, hth, usual disclaimers apply.

Good luck!

I found when I fitted my oil pressure gauge to the oil filter sandwich plate I got exceptionally high oil pressure readings compared to what the FSM recommended. I spent ages trying to resolve the issue before I ended up t'ing it of the OEM sender to finally get the right oil pressure readings.

BAT Inc has a good selection and I've had good experiences with them. They are not always the least expensive but they've had what I've needed.

BAT - MOCAL Oil Control Systems

I found when I fitted my oil pressure gauge to the oil filter sandwich plate I got exceptionally high oil pressure readings compared to what the FSM recommended. I spent ages trying to resolve the issue before I ended up t'ing it of the OEM sender to finally get the right oil pressure readings.

Looking at the flow diagram in the FSM this makes some sense. The filter is the first thing after the pump and therefore should have the highest pressure.

As long as it doesn't peg my meter I'll be ok. I really don't need a true number. I plan on a simple White-Out Pen dot on warm idle and one at warm cruise. I really just don't trust the OEM and that was my reason for this gauge.

FYI - when my oil pump went out, the engine was still running and at first I thought the gauge just went out.

FYI - when my oil pump went out, the engine was still running and at first I thought the gauge just went out.

ouch. I see the reason to your paranoia. Me, I'd still just install an idiot light switch... works for every other car on the planet :D

have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom