Aftermarket Headers - Post if you're interested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pending fittment on a 98, count me in also!
2010SJS - Silver ceramic coated inside+ outside

Just an FYI on the cat back Borla exhaust. I've had one for about 4 years on my 98 and my quick opinion is they suck!

1. Stainless? My a**, maybe the covering on the muffler and resonator. The tubing is at best cheap quality stainless. I'm in CA and I have lots of rust showing on all the tubing and flanges.

2. Build quality is sub-standard. I've had several of the welds on the hangers break. Last one ripped a hole in the muffler. I'm in the process of getting Borla to warranty it.

3. Customer service sucks! Try and contact Borla. They are unresponsive and sloowww. It's been over a month since I 1st contacted them and still don't have an answer as to what they will do about the broken welds.

4. If you want to run the Slee Offraod belly plates forget it. The Borla hangs down 2-3 inches lower than the stock pipe just in front of the muffler. There is a massive interference with the belly plate. I'm going back to stock.

I had one for 3.5 years in New england and never had any of those problems with my Borla. With that said I'm still using the piping just replaced the muffler with an SLP model.

I will put you down on the list for the headers but lets keep it at that. We can start a new thread and discuss the options on other parts of the exhaust system.

Thanks for your efforts!

Agreed. I had read some posts earlier in the thread and seemed that Borla kept coming up. Maybe I got a little carried away since I'm pretty frustrated with them right now.

One quote I got for an install was almost 8 hours PER SIDE!!! Somthing like $1400 bucks.... maybe I'll tackle the job myself though..

Anyone else going to have them installed? If so, I'd call and get a quote...

One quote I got for an install was almost 8 hours PER SIDE!!!

If you go by "THE BOOK", labor hours are budgeted for removal of the cylinder heads to replace the manifolds.

Unless you're talking to a Stealer that's ridiculous. It's apparently not necessary and only the drivers side has clearance issues. Which can be resolved by some persuasion of the steering column and zip ties.

There's some posts around here on doing both sides where people were able to DIY without pulling the heads.

Anyone else going to have them installed? If so, I'd call and get a quote...

I'm going to have my indy in Auburn do mine. He's mainly a Volvo/V-Dub shop but an avid TRD truck guy. He's been doing work for me for 8+ years. PM me if you want details.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will do mine in my drive way. 30 minutes for the passenger side and whatever for the driver side. I have my fingers crossed that they work!

I will do mine in my drive way. 30 minutes for the passenger side and whatever for the driver side. I have my fingers crossed that they work!

Do a little picture taking to help all us other DIY'rs out here get it right.:grinpimp:

Add me to the list

Please add me to the list of interested buyers, I have a '99 LC.

i saw a bill on my credit card, nothing else yet. I should be expecting them soon.

OOOOO
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1313.jpg

these things are hefty and feel like they were built for a tank, holy crap. OEM headers have met their death, I might be getting them installed tonight, if not another day in the SUPER NEAR FUTURE!

WHEN they fit, I suggest anyone who needs to get rid of that tick to get these things, serious metalwork here. I'm too lazy to take em out of the plastic right now but heres a shot.
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg

one last one, comes with all the gaskets n bolts/nuts/washers for the job. JUST DOESNT COME WITH A STICKER!!!!!!!! UGH I wanted a sticker so bad...epic fail for JBA.
IMG_1318.jpg

Update when installed with feedback. Are they open to group buy because I am ready if they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom