After market radio and disabling antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve installed an after market Sony radio without an issues. All works great and was as easy as I stalling the same unit into my 4runner. That said I hate the automatic antenna lowering and raising. I want the antenna to only operate when I raise it or lower it. My thought was to kill the “blue” cable in my case, ie the “antenna power” wire in the harness. My understanding is that this is what tells the internal controller to raise or lower the antenna when the radios power is turned off. Am I right here or totally off? Thanks!

So I’ve installed an after market Sony radio without an issues. All works great and was as easy as I stalling the same unit into my 4runner. That said I hate the automatic antenna lowering and raising. I want the antenna to only operate when I raise it or lower it. My thought was to kill the “blue” cable in my case, ie the “antenna power” wire in the harness. My understanding is that this is what tells the internal controller to raise or lower the antenna when the radios power is turned off. Am I right here or totally off? Thanks!

Im wondering the same but my antenna just barely pops up then I can manually raise it, but tired of it just popping up everytime stereo turns on...

Im wondering the same but my antenna just barely pops up then I can manually raise it, but tired of it just popping up everytime stereo turns on...

Exactly!!

Last edited:
Thanks man! Where you located? I think Im going to try the blue wire disconnect first, if that doesn't solve this than ill hit you up!
I think you'll find that disconnecting the blue/white wire won't do anything to enable the up/down buttons.

I'm in Livermore and I'm set up for pcb work.

Ok.... so after ****ing with the wiring for the better part of the day I realized that
1. the power antenna wire needs to be connected to a power source for the UP/DOWN button to work in the cab...
2. "constant" power and "switched" power on the wiring harness ONLY seem to feed power to the antenna motor / servo and keep trying to push the antenna up.

So IF I wanted to just say **** it and swap in a rubber whip antenna, can i just rip out the mast from the housing disconnect the power to the mast motor and attached the new whip mast through the old housing? I figure the old housing is already wired to the stereo antenna line so in theory it should work... unless im missing something here ........

What is the Tacoma mod for the antenna? | IH8MUD Forum p/n that you will need are in post 10. ditch the power antenna and be done with it

thanks! And I had heard about this mod but hadn’t seen the write up. Question I am posing up top however is this; is there a way to modify the stock mast assembly by taking out the antenna and retractable antenna and replace it with a screw in whip..... I have to imagine there is.... the connection the coaxial cable is via the housing so as long as I get good contact between the new antenna and the mount it “should work fine”.... at least in theory. Was going to either braze the antenna in place OR bore the assembly out and tap it....

Thoughts....?

Before you dive into the Tacoma mod, take a look at this. Replaces the mast only and is apparently a very easy install. Just got mine and haven’t installed it. will report back how it is.

AntennaMastsRus - Conversion Kit is Compatible with Toyota Land Cruiser (1990-08-1996) Amazon product ASIN B07BB5YKDN

Before you dive into the Tacoma mod, take a look at this. Replaces the mast only and is apparently a very easy install. Just got mine and haven’t installed it. will report back how it is.

AntennaMastsRus - Conversion Kit is Compatible with Toyota Land Cruiser (1990-08-1996) Amazon product ASIN B07BB5YKDN

Yes!!! This is exactly what my idea was!! Thank you. Just bought it and will report back as well!

Ok SOOOO I bought that conversion kit BUT I had gotten a cheap Jeep antenna to see if I couldn't fabricate something that would work too... and I did :)

See this link that I just wrote up explaining!

IMG_5241-2.jpg

IMG_5242-2.jpg

IMG_5244-2.jpg

IMG_5245-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom