Radio Won't Turn Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mstudt

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I picked up my 94 back in September, and everything was fine with the radio when I got it. Then, one day my wife came inside and said the radio was on. Shortly after that I also noticed the driver side floorboard was soaking wet due to a windshield not being installed correctly in the past (fixed now). I haven't spent too much time digging into the issue, but obviously the radio is receiving power without the key being in the ignition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Time to open up that dash and see where the radio plug is getting its power from. If its a Metra connector that was used, look up the color codes and see what the power cable is wired on to. It was probably wired that way.

Time to open up that dash and see where the radio plug is getting its power from. If its a Metra connector that was used, look up the color codes and see what the power cable is wired on to. It was probably wired that way.

Pretty sure Metra is for aftermarket radios, and this still has the OEM. Also, this is a new issue. The radio used to turn off when the ignition turned off, and doesn't now (did before).

Mike

Bad ground somewhere. Some things are switched on the ground side in toyota. If my rear defroster is on ,I have wierd electrical issues. My dash lights will stay on with ignition off until I turn the defroster off.

The radio is on the dome lights circuit, are your dome light working?
Also your clock is in the same circuits, sometimes is as simple as the fuse

Turning off the radio power button doesn't work either?
Pretty sure Metra is for aftermarket radios, and this still has the OEM. Also, this is a new issue. The radio used to turn off when the ignition turned off, and doesn't now (did before).

Mike

The radio is on the dome lights circuit, are your dome light working?
Also your clock is in the same circuits, sometimes is as simple as the fuse

Can't say I've bothered to look at the either of those. But I'll check them out, and let you know.

Turning off the radio power button doesn't work either?

Manually turning off the radio does work, but I'd still like to find out what's going on.

Mike

Radio is off of 2 fuses. 15 amp CIG for switched power and 10 amp DOME for constant power to keep presets. There are no switched grounds here.
Please download the Toyota EWD and FSM from the resources section and stop guessing.

Radio is off of 2 fuses. 15 amp CIG for switched power and 10 amp DOME for constant power to keep presets. There are no switched grounds here.
Please download the Toyota EWD and FSM from the resources section and stop guessing.

Have both, and no help in this situation.

Not guessing, and never guessed about anything in this thread. Just asked for help given the unusual turn of events with the radio.

All guessing aside. Fuses are good, dome lights work as they should, clock only turns on with ignition, and as of this morning the radio now turns off like it should.

Mike

All guessing aside. Fuses are good, dome lights work as they should, clock only turns on with ignition, and as of this morning the radio now turns off like it should.
The fact that the radio stayed on when switched power was off would have nothing to do with fuses or grounds in this case. If everything off of the switched CIG fuse functions as it should, then the issue would be with the radio itself.

The fact that the radio stayed on when switched power was off would have nothing to do with fuses or grounds in this case. If everything off of the switched CIG fuse functions as it should, then the issue would be with the radio itself.

That was my initial thought, but after thinking about it more I ruled it out. I've never seen nor heard of a faulty radio turning switched power on. That's the reason why radios are wired to the ignition switch or other powered switch. But I could be wrong too.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom