AFI Fuel Injection Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

So my wife gave me the nod to order EFI for my 73 F engine. On the AFI website, the default for the harness length is 24". If anyone has done this kit, what length harness did you order? Where did you put the ECM? (I am considering the glove box) I obviously don't want it too short but I also don't want a mess under the hood.

Thanks!

Build a second story inside your glove box, 3" to 4" up off the bottom floor, place ECU on top of 2nd story, then run wiring harness over the top of the left (drivers side) vertical wall (which is open at top edge). This then still gives you glove box space for other things.

I ordered the next longer length harness - 40"? and it worked well to put the ECM in the glovebox. The 24" will be too short. Search the other threads on Mud for more AFI info.

Dose the AFI come with and air cleaner adaptor....so you can retain the stock FJ40 Air cleaner?

No, I made one out of 5" thick steel pipe with a plate and a piece of 3" pipe welded on top, to engage the air cleaner snout. Works/fits perfectly. Very custom.

DSCN2062.JPG

DSCN2066.JPG

DSCN2069.JPG

finished.JPG

You could contact @FJ60Cam and ask if they have an adapter for their Howell kits.

No, we only have the offset style for the Sniper. We've made them like Steve above. 4 Plus made them back in the day, but think he's been out of them for a few years now.

Build a second story inside your glove box, 3" to 4" up off the bottom floor, place ECU on top of 2nd story, then run wiring harness over the top of the left (drivers side) vertical wall (which is open at top edge). This then still gives you glove box space for other things.
Thanks great info above. Since you've obviously done this, how would you engineer your return fuel connection to tank? Do I need to bulkhead a fitting into the top of the tank with a drop tube that terminates just off the tank floor to prevent aeration of the return fuel or is there a simpler way?
Thanks

I believe most just use a T fitting and T into the top breather hose at the filler neck ???

Dose the AFI come with and air cleaner adaptor....so you can retain the stock FJ40 Air cleaner?

I think more people would be interested in any of the EFI kits, Holly, Affordable, etc...if the offered stock air cleaner adaptors. That’s the only thing holding me back from dropping $1500 on a fuel injection system.

Thanks great info above. Since you've obviously done this, how would you engineer your return fuel connection to tank? Do I need to bulkhead a fitting into the top of the tank with a drop tube that terminates just off the tank floor to prevent aeration of the return fuel or is there a simpler way?
Thanks

Last edited:

No, I made one out of 5" thick steel pipe with a plate and a piece of 3" pipe welded on top, to engage the air cleaner snout. Works/fits perfectly. Very custom.

View attachment 2699207

View attachment 2699208

View attachment 2699209

View attachment 2699210
Hey Steve,
I notice that you've got vacuum lines running from ports "A" & "J" (just below PCV inlet). Where are those vacuum lines going? Also, I see you fabbed a bracket for the throttle cable and your throttle lever assembly doesn't look like the GM detent style like I've got. Can you please give some details on how you adapted that to stock set up? Thanks

The throttle setup is totally custom using home-brewed brackets and the throttle cable is from (believe it or not) a riding mower. I fabbed my own gas pedal and needed a lead nipple style throttle cable and riding mower cables (unknown brand) were perfect. I bought a spare cable, but the system has been totally reliable. All the 'GM type' throttle cable setups that I saw also required GM-type gas pedals (or a whole 'system') sold by Summit Racing for too much money. I also didn't want to hack in a totally different/ugly gas pedal just to use a GM-style cable setup. A local mower guy has a huge tote full of good used cables, and I just picked through them and found one that was perfect and then bought another one as a backup.

I will investigate the vacuum line situation - I see 3 vacuum caps in my photo - I don't see any vacuum lines. What am I missing?

Steve

The throttle setup is totally custom using home-brewed brackets and the throttle cable is from (believe it or not) a riding mower. I fabbed my own gas pedal and needed a lead nipple style throttle cable and riding mower cables (unknown brand) were perfect. I bought a spare cable, but the system has been totally reliable. All the 'GM type' throttle cable setups that I saw also required GM-type gas pedals (or a whole 'system') sold by Summit Racing for too much money. I also didn't want to hack in a totally different/ugly gas pedal just to use a GM-style cable setup. A local mower guy has a huge tote full of good used cables, and I just picked through them and found one that was perfect and then bought another one as a backup.

I will investigate the vacuum line situation - I see 3 vacuum caps in my photo - I don't see any vacuum lines. What am I missing?

Steve
You're right, those are caps, I saw conduit sleeve running below and thought you'd sleeved your vacuum lines. I guess I was wondering where you're connecting your vacuum advance for the distributor. Also, I can't see it, but, did you delete the factory carb. spacer w/ the PCV outlet? It looks like the supplied TBI adapter is gonna need some grinding to avoid conflict with unmachined areas on the intake, if I delete the original PCV spacer. Nice job on the throttle adaptation. These kits are definitely not for Youtube-guided do-it-yourselfers with no experience.

The AFI kit (if you add $295) comes with a modified FJ62 distributor that drops right into your 2F block. AFI takes a stock 3F-E distributor and mills off all but 6 of the reluctor teeth, and uses this for engine timing, etc. No vacuum advance - all advance is done electronically. Slicker than owl snot. The TBI adaptor they supply does not need grinding, but some of the sensors are quite close to the valve cover. The biggest weaknesses of the AFI system are the throttle cable setup (I had to roll my own, in many ways) and there is no provision for the factory air cleaner. I ran a 6" mini air cleaner for couple weeks until I got my adapter dialed in. I don't think I used the factory PCV adapter. Look closely at the TBI kit page and spec out a system for your truck and you'll see what some of the options are.

The AFI kit (if you add $295) comes with a modified FJ62 distributor that drops right into your 2F block. AFI takes a stock 3F-E distributor and mills off all but 6 of the reluctor teeth, and uses this for engine timing, etc. No vacuum advance - all advance is done electronically. Slicker than owl snot. The TBI adaptor they supply does not need grinding, but some of the sensors are quite close to the valve cover. The biggest weaknesses of the AFI system are the throttle cable setup (I had to roll my own, in many ways) and there is no provision for the factory air cleaner. I ran a 6" mini air cleaner for couple weeks until I got my adapter dialed in. I don't think I used the factory PCV adapter. Look closely at the TBI kit page and spec out a system for your truck and you'll see what some of the options are.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and creativity. I'll be heading to my buddy's mower shop bone yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom