Adventure Trailer: Overlanding model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMAN said:
I think the jist of it goes like this...

"Hey, I'm good buddies with the guy that used to own 4x4 Trailers. We were actually roomates in collage. Man those were some crazy times. I remember this one time I walked in on him and Bob... Oh never mind, back to my hijack. Unfortunately he had to close up shop. The good thing is, I got all the tooling and stuff from his shop and could potentially build some trailers at a much better price than he used to sell them for. And speaking of over priced, I saw this guy's trailers that Scotty's testing right now out at Sema and WOW! Even though the build quality is far superior and the suspension much better for offroading and the fully kitted out trailer price is comparable to my very close friend's old outfit, this thing is a total piece of $#!7. You should totally call me on my email adrees so we can talk about how you should give me your money instead of buying the product that this thread was actually started for."

Or something like that.

Dude, yer an ass. We gotta hang out.

BMAN said:
I think the jist of it goes like this...

Thank you BMAN. It made a lot more sense after you translated. You know that dude? :D

-B-

Rubiconcruiser said:
4x4 trailers closed his doors, I have access to all the makings from his shop. He is a very good friend of mine..Rubiconcruiser@msn.com

I thought Les sold all the parts for scrap? Do you have the fixtures, etc.? There were nice trailers.

The new Chaser from Adventure Trailers is also sold and shipped
'knocked down' and can be assembled in a day or two. Trailers can be expensive to ship, so reducing that cost is important to the buyer.

The new trailing arm suspension has been tested pretty extensively, and provides a lot of clearance under the trailer. I have not seen one in the flesh yet, but expect to do so in a few weeks, when I get down to LA area.

AT told me that the Chaser sells for under $4500 ready to roll with lid, gas can carrier, etc.

The trailing arms are 23" long... here is a picture of the suspension that he sent me.

381239.JPG

Mike S

Last edited:
doesn't look to me like the shock is anywhere perpendicular to the motion of the arm...

With the cost of materials and labor, trailers are not cheap.

I had mine built by a guy who builds quite a few, and knows his stuff. He charged materials plus $25 an hour. I added a lot of options, and had the entire trailer powder coated. Total cost was about $6K. Nice trailer, tho'.

As far as the suspension of the Chaser goes, I am not an engineer, but it seems to me that the airbags take most of the load, and the Nitrochargers shocks, set at a 45 degree angle, would take the lighter load of the trailer (less than 1/2 of what your truck would need) and work fine. The air suspension is a good idea - you can air up the suspension to suit the load and trail conditions.

Mike

Mike S said:
With the cost of materials and labor, trailers are not cheap.

I had mine built by a guy who builds quite a few, and knows his stuff. He charged materials plus $25 an hour. I added a lot of options, and had the entire trailer powder coated. Total cost was about $6K. Nice trailer, tho'.

As far as the suspension of the Chaser goes, I am not an engineer, but it seems to me that the airbags take most of the load, and the Nitrochargers shocks, set at a 45 degree angle, would take the lighter load of the trailer (less than 1/2 of what your truck would need) and work fine. The air suspension is a good idea - you can air up the suspension to suit the load and trail conditions.

Mike
I was always under the impression that shocks were used to damp ossicilations from the suspension rather than carry the load.

Well, I just returned from El Camino Del Diablo. A fun trip, with over 300 miles with the trailer and 188 off-road miles.

There are a lot of things I really like about the trailer, and a few things that can (and are planned) for improvement.

Most importantly, the suspension works great, both on the road and off. Compression damping could be firmed up slightly and a little more sway control, but I was really hammering the thing. Both will be addressed in the production unit.

I also like the overall size of the trailer, and really appreciate the track width, as my VenturCraft and Jumping Jack are both odd track width, which create handling issues at high speeds in the desert.

A vehicle in the group had a suspension failure, so we filled the trailer to the rim. It was nice to be able to add some air and bring the ride height back up.

What the trailer really needs is a larger tent assembly with changing room, which they are working on. That makes the expense and reason to tow a trailer that much nicer.

I think this unit would be a killer solution for an FJ40 owner IMO

I will be doing a detailed review and will post the link in 3-4 weeks.

IMG_8775.JPG

Mario had told me a couple months ago they were planning to have a 10'x10' tent room that will attach to the tent top. This will really be nice for all sorts of reasons. He has done the design work on the tent (and trailers) and was planning to have the tents made stateside instead of bringing them in from Italy.

All in all when you consider how tough their trailers are and all the details that they have incorporated they are a fair deal (and not mass production manufacturing).

Great to see the pics...look forward to your full review!

For all you Phoenix area crusahs the Adventure Trailer folks are going to be at the International Sportsman's Expo on March 10-12...presumably showing their new trailer line-up...and maybe their new tent and enclosure. If anyone goes I expect a full report with pics :D

Yes, the new trailer will be at the show, and hopefully the new tent (that is their plan).

My Tacoma will also be on display, and I will be hanging out for all three days :cheers:

For those of you who have pulled trailers on the trail, this suspension really is a dream. Very little feedback to the tow vehicle, and the contents of the traler are pampered.

I even put a case of Fat Tire Ale in the trailer with no other padding, etc.

No Beer Loss :beer:

expeditionswest said:
Yes, the new trailer will be at the show, and hopefully the new tent (that is their plan).

My Tacoma will also be on display, and I will be hanging out for all three days :cheers:

For those of you who have pulled trailers on the trail, this suspension really is a dream. Very little feedback to the tow vehicle, and the contents of the traler are pampered.

I even put a case of Fat Tire Ale in the trailer with no other padding, etc.

No Beer Loss :beer:

Any idea how much the trailer you are testing weighs (unloaded)?

Here are some of the early specifications:

Chaser™ Dimensions/Specifications

Overall Length 120 inches
Overall Width 64 inches
Main Cargo Box 50W (top) 40W (bottom) x 26.25H x 72L
Nose Box 31W x 15W x 19H x 16.5L
Cargo box cubic capacity 46 cubic feet
Water Tank 19 gallons
Gas Cans 5 gallons each
Net weight lbs 700
Payload lbs 2800
Axle Weight Rating 3500
Ground Clearance 24” with 35” tires
Box material 14 gauge zinc coated gauge steel
Chassis material 2 x 3 x 1/8 zinc coated steel tube
Bumper material 2 x 5 x 3/16 zinc coated steel tube
Suspension Trailing arm, air bag, shock absorber
Cargo box lid Opening assisted with gas struts

firetruck41 said:
It's not like scott is trying to sell these things, he's just testing it, if somebody has something similar for a lot less $$ some one might be interested to know that. That said, RubiconCruiser, you should start a new thread and tell us what you have, try to be a little more clear too.

You are right, Scott is not selling these trailers, but he is planning a full write up and review on the one that he is demoing at the moment. I would suspect that the intention was to do so here in this thread. That said, this is not the place for ANYONE to chime in and pimp their wares. Especially those of a competing manufacturer. It's dirty pool! And I'm simply calling him out on it. I am not opposed to him starting his own thread and slamming the crap outa every other manufacturer on the market, but doing it in a competitors thread is bad form.

Simply buy a star and pimp your crap all ya want. That's what I'm saying.

YNH,
Any time you're in AZ... let me know.

maybe a picky point.... but if you are on a tight trail and need to get your stuff out it might be better if the trailer opened on the same side as the driver's door.

Ok
that's *really* picky. I know.

But it seems to me that one of the greatest things about a rooftop tent is being able to camp in cramped conditions... it would also be nice that when you only have access to one side of the vehicle- you also have access to the trailer.

the airbag idea appeals. We hated our trailer largely because the payload was such an important part of the overall weight that the suspension was almost never at a comfortable level- either too soft or too firm.

sandcruiser said:
maybe a picky point.... but if you are on a tight trail and need to get your stuff out it might be better if the trailer opened on the same side as the driver's door.

Ok
that's *really* picky. I know.

But it seems to me that one of the greatest things about a rooftop tent is being able to camp in cramped conditions... it would also be nice that when you only have access to one side of the vehicle- you also have access to the trailer.

the airbag idea appeals. We hated our trailer largely because the payload was such an important part of the overall weight that the suspension was almost never at a comfortable level- either too soft or too firm.
The odds of being parked on the side of the road with traffic passing on the drivers side are a lot more realistic.

Good point... living in a less-developed area, I forget about those lovely things called "freeways". Around here people park on either side of the road with such frequency that it wouldn't be a problem.

'Sides, it was a pretty minor point to begin with.

rusty_tlc said:
The odds of being parked on the side of the road with traffic passing on the drivers side are a lot more realistic.

rusty_tlc said:

fawkin' city slickers...:flipoff2:

Trailer looks pretty sweet - might be worth the money

haystax said:
fawkin' city slickers...:flipoff2:

Trailer looks pretty sweet - might be worth the money
Just thinking what would happen if I was stopped along 50 somewhere and one of the rednecks in central NV came by with a load of alfalfa. :flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom