Adventure Trailer: Overlanding model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need a drop hitch on there :D.

Or is it the the slight hill?

Here are a few more snow pics :beer:

Prescott_snow-01.JPG

Here it is crooked the other way :)

Prescott_snow-06.JPG

Regarding the hitch height, the trailer can be lifted and lowered with the airbags within a range, or taller/shorter airbags can be fitted. It can fit from a 31" tire to a 38" tire...

Just an observation - After viewing Adventure trailers in the field - and now in the last week being in Death Valley behind a CN101 and an M416 - both with tents and properly balance weight distribution. The real difference is in the suspension - the adventure trailers ride smooth and track nicely through all the different terrain - in DV both military trailers while they followed nicely and climbed over all the obstacles - they were quite bouncey behind the vehicles ( both LC100 series) the suspension on military trailers are so stiff and out of synch with the modern 100 series that it made for a dancing show on the washboard...

Edit note to self: must rethink the CN101 trailer rebuild idea

DD

I have found that, on my homemade trailer at least, tire pressure makes a huge difference. I run from 10 to 15 PSI in the 31 X 10.50s on the trailer, and get good results with no problems.

M

DD,

Couldn't you add shocks somehow and then add the air bags for a few hundred dollars?

SS

Both the military trailers on the DV trip had aired down - one was sprung over with 33's the other stock military michelins.

In my thinking by the time I strip the military paint and powdercoast ( or re paint) extend the toungue - install the articulate hitch coupler - upgrade rims and tires - make the lid with a locking latch- hinge and gas support arms - upgrade the suspension with airbags - shocks - I would guess to do it all right including something for my time I would be very close to what I could by the chaser for - and the intital investment into the CN 101 from Quebec was not free - :eek:

DD,

The Chaser is one good looking, thought out trailer, that is for sure. Do you have 101 you want to sell?

desertdude said:
Both the military trailers on the DV trip had aired down - one was sprung over with 33's the other stock military michelins.

In my thinking by the time I strip the military paint and powdercoast ( or re paint) extend the toungue - install the articulate hitch coupler - upgrade rims and tires - make the lid with a locking latch- hinge and gas support arms - upgrade the suspension with airbags - shocks - I would guess to do it all right including something for my time I would be very close to what I could by the chaser for - and the intital investment into the CN 101 from Quebec was not free - :eek:

Not to mention the missed trail outings when putting in all those hours in the fab garage! Assuming, of course, you are not retired but working full-time job :D .

FYI: I have finally decided to commit to the Horizon model. Just talked to AT and it sounds like their new tent, which they are designing and making here in the USA, is about 2-3 months from reality (my words not theirs).

I've got two 101's sitting in my yard one was for my brother to go along with his FJ40 - not quite ready to give them up yet- if I do sell them I am going to have to get a high price for them due to the fact I had to rent another trailer to get them to my place from Phoenix... Besides Bman was inline since day one:D

if I could ebay them both to some military collector I could then almost buy the Chaser ;)

Grouseman said:
DD,

The Chaser is one good looking, thought out trailer, that is for sure. Do you have 101 you want to sell?

spressomon said:
FYI: I have finally decided to commit to the Horizon model. Just talked to AT and it sounds like their new tent, which they are designing and making here in the USA, is about 2-3 months from reality (my words not theirs).

So is the Chaser a stripped down Horizon model? Will the Horizon model get the same suspension as the Chaser now? Inquiring minds want to know. :bounce: :bounce2:

Darwood said:
So is the Chaser a stripped down Horizon model? Will the Horizon model get the same suspension as the Chaser now? Inquiring minds want to know. :bounce: :bounce2:

The Chaser is a different unit all together.

It is longer and shorter (height) than the Horizon. It is made from 14 gauge powder coated panels that assemble into the form you see above. It gives up the side boxes to reduce cost and weighs about 300lbs less than the Horizon.

Both trailers can be specified with the long travel, airbag suspension. :beer:

Oh, and good on you for owning a WRX STi! I am trying to decide between a BMW moto and a rally car. I want to start racing more than just trucks again.

expeditionswest said:
Oh, and good on you for owning a WRX STi! I am trying to decide between a BMW moto and a rally car. I want to start racing more than just trucks again.

Thanks for the info and thanks about the STi. Unfortunately the STi is my commuter car and doesn't get to stretch its stuff much. The 80's been getting all the attention lately. One day I think the STi might become a rally car, but that will probably be a long time from now. I badly need to autocross it but just haven't gotten around finding time and getting a helmet. :doh:

I've been contemplating the idea of building a trailer or modifying an M series trailer also. After all is said and done, I could probably spend many weekends and evenings trying to get it just right and still pay the same amount for an already complete Chaser.

Like you siad, if you have the time great, if not, do I want to spend my free weekends building a trailer when I could be out there using it??:confused:

Does anyone know if there will be any conventions in the Bay Area displaying these trailers?

expeditionswest said:
He is also pulling it behind a G-Wagon, which is pretty cool too.

I like this quote about the G-Wagon from his web site:

"It’s made of girders, and Barbie doesn’t have one."

:D

-B-

rockclmbr said:
I've been contemplating the idea of building a trailer or modifying an M series trailer also. After all is said and done, I could probably spend many weekends and evenings trying to get it just right and still pay the same amount for an already complete Chaser.

Like you siad, if you have the time great, if not, do I want to spend my free weekends building a trailer when I could be out there using it??:confused:

Does anyone know if there will be any conventions in the Bay Area displaying these trailers?

No but Martyn, one of the two partners that own AT lives in Grass Valley in the winter and Truckee in the summer and he has a Horizon there most of the time...although I think the one he has is being used on a trip right now. And in late May you can come see mine ;)

And in late May you can come see mine

I'll have to take you up on that!

Maybe we can work out a trailer timeshare program...

The G-Wagon writeup was pretty decent. Judging on where he said he was going - either the "Wall" or Alejandro's, the dirt roads arent all that tough - the locals do it was regular vehicles all the time.

A trip out to Abejarros or from San Ignacio to San Juanico (North Road - inner track, not the salt flats) would be a great test. That 150 mile piece of road is part of the Baja 1000, and honestly is one of the crappiest roads around, period. Good mix of 8 inch washboard and then deep rutted boulders/rock base.

Anyone want to loan me one? I will be heading down there this summer...will prolly puss out though and go the longer paved "south road".

-jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom