Advance Adapters New FJ60/FJ62 Low Gear Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMHO....

You can buy an Atlas 2-speed new for about $2k. You can find them used for less. Sure it will add up to more once it is installed.

I would rather spend the extra money and get an Atlas.

Won't that also require a new rear axle?

I would be all over these gears if it weren't for the price tag. Just as a reference, 4:1 gear sets for the D300 transfer case go for $600 out the door. I guess there's more volume when it comes to jeeps, so you can run a lower profit margin. I would be comfortable paying maybe $1000 for this gear set.

Won't that also require a new rear axle?

possibly....

You could always run an slightly offset rear prop shaft. Not ideal I know but I have an offset rear prop shaft in a truck and it gives me no problems.

Oh and these gears do look a fair share cheaper then the Marks gears so that is a good thing.

You could also build (or have a driveshaft shop do it) a rear axle with two CV joints to handle the extra driveline angle.

If you guys want to take a look at the other thread, I disassembled my output shaft and found something interesting. The low speed gear is bearing supported, and the high speed gear is bushing supported. But the new AA gears interchange on the shaft just fine. Has anyone seen this before in a factory application?

What about gear noise?
The 3:1 set from Marks/AA is stupid noisey! :bang:

I've been thinking about going back to stock and my 60 is a camping/off road/home depot trips rig not a dd.

I have the gears in front of me and Fromme has confirmed this as well. High range is not stock. It has a slight underdrive. For guys like me who run 3.73 gears and 33" tires this will be a welcome reduction in compassion to rehearing the axles...

I have the gears in front of me and Fromme has confirmed this as well. High range is not stock. It has a slight underdrive. For guys like me who run 3.73 gears and 33" tires this will be a welcome reduction in compassion to rehearing the axles...

The AA website says 10% underdrive.

Pricing...

No question pricing is a difficult question, and it's true that it's easier to go down rather than up.

However, in this case I strongly suspect the price is primarily a function of volume.

Design/engineering costs are the same regardless of volume.
Machine setup costs are the same regardless of volume.

Small volume means that these costs on a per unit basis are much higher. As a rough example, when the volume is 1/10th, the engineering/setup costs per unit are 10X.

The art in this is if the cost is lower then volume will be higher...but the question is will the volume be 10% higher, 10X higher, 100X higher?

AA knows the L/C market pretty well, and I'd assume they've priced this so that they can get as much volume as possible, and also make a sufficient profit so that they stay in business, and have enough financial resources to keep investing in new products.

If you take full advantage of what they offer in this gear set you get much lower gearing in the transfer case, and an underdrive. This means you can go up one one tire size w/out regearing. In my case this means if I installed these gears I could go to 35's and have the same highway performance, but much better low range, for one relatively straightforward mod. It's very tempting. Got a few things to do first that are more important, but I think this new product is a very cool design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom