Adjusting headlights in a new 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've arranged for my dealer to install the OEM front spacers and do an initial oil change on my 2020 LC. I asked that they also adjust the headlights accordingly so I'm not blinding oncoming traffic. Even without the spacers, I get a lot of cars flashing me, so I know the headlights will need some adjusting downward once the spacers are in.

Here's the rub: Dealer quotes me $175 to adjust the headlights. That number seems silly to me. I'll look at the manual and do some online research on adjusting the lights when I get home this evening, but I was hoping to also get some guidance/insight from the Mud gang on the topic before I dig in. I adjusted the headlights myself on my 2007 Tundra when I leveled it, but I know the new LC has some fancier headlights and I'm wondering if it's a very different process than with the Tundra.

Thanks in advance!

Just do it yourself. There is no real science to it. Best to do about 20 feet from a wall or garage door. Note where the top of the beams hit the wall, adjust down about 2-3inches and then drive for a week and see if you get flashed. Don’t worry if the drivers side is lower/doesn’t line up with the passenger side. This is the normal set up to reduce light into oncoming traffic while retaining good side of the road visibility. Good luck, you got this!

Unless one of your lights is a walleye, getting flashed is a poor indicator of proper light aiming. The garage door is good for getting into the ballpark, but not for setting it up for best vision. Go out to a dark road an aim them so that you optimize the light field in your truck with your lift at your weight. Once you have the optimal position set, use the wheel on the dash to lower them for urban use if desired. IMO, the factory setting is too low for rural use. You're almost always overdriving your low beams at 70mph.

I feel that in an era of everyone being offended and with vastly improved light technology people have unrealistic expectations of what is reasonable for oncoming light. How many crashes occur because of oncoming light vs not seeing things? I'd much rather have drivers optimize their vision than to have the occasional flash by a Karen. Most people have the bad habit of focusing on bright lights making it worse rather than just looking down the road. YMMV.

Last edited:
Unless one of your lights is a walleye, getting flashed is a poor indicator of proper light aiming. The garage door is good for getting into the ballpark, but not for setting it up for best vision. Go out to a dark road an aim them so that you optimize the light field in your truck with your lift at your weight. Once you have the optimal position set, use the wheel on the dash to lower them for urban use if desired. IMO, the factory setting is too low for rural use. You're almost always overdriving your low beams at 70mph.

I feel that in an era of everyone being offended and with vastly improved light technology people have unrealistic expectations of what is reasonable for oncoming light. How many crashes occur because of oncoming light vs not seeing things? I'd much rather have drivers optimize their vision than to have the occasional flash by a Karen. Most people have the bad habit of focusing on bright lights making it worse rather than just looking down the road. YMMV.

Do LCs have the adjustment wheel on the dash? I believe that’s an LX feature but not 100% certain — haven’t seen it on my LC.

Isn’t this partly what the headlight-adjustment-angle wheel is for right there on the dashboard? Works on my 13.

Isn’t this partly what the headlight-adjustment-angle wheel is for right there on the dashboard? Works on my 13.

I believe auto-leveling was introduced in 2016 so the manual leveling adjustment was only up to 2015. Not 100% sure though.

EDIT: looks like auto-leveling was introduced in 2015.

I believe auto-leveling was introduced in 2016 so the manual leveling adjustment was only up to 2015. Not 100% sure though.

EDIT: looks like auto-leveling was introduced in 2015.
Maybe a dumb question here, but If auto leveling was introduced in 2015 and you get your truck lifted (and your rig is post 2015) wouldn’t the headlights auto adjust to where they need to be? I looked up how to adjust them in my manual (2021) and it just says the headlights are designed to auto level according to the passengers or weight of your vehicle. I was getting flashed on my way home from picking up my LC after lift so I’ve been reading up on how to fix

Last edited:
nope. look up posts by @VooDoo2 there is a tjm kit for a fix. I've manually adjusted mine, but think it is a bandaid.

I have a 2020 and after the suspesnion upgrade, I had a similar issue. What you have been told is correct, all of it, BUT it still took me some tweaking to get it right. Ignore the KAREN's on the road and do what looks good for urban and rural driving.

The phillips head adjustment point is super gradual. So much so that I put my cordless drill on it to get it to move to where I wanted it. The dark country road is a great idea, I did the garage door and then drove for the week.

Does anyone know how to order this specific TJM part? Or have you all put something together on your own? I've contacted Slee, but I haven't heard back yet (only been about a day, so it's totally understandable).

There is a lever with sensor in the rear suspension for the 2016+ that is what changes the angle of the headlights. The sensor body is mounted to the frame and the end of the lever is attached to the upper control arm. The sensor uses angular (rotational) movement of the sensor shaft to determine pitch of the truck. The sensor is on the left rear side of the truck.

There is a minor amount of adjustment via a slot on the UCA bracket (~1").

When you lift just the front of the truck, the rear sensor is not affected, therefore making the headlights aim high.

When you install a full suspension lift 2"+, the sensor on the rear suspension in effect recognizes the truck being high in the rear, so it adjusts the headlights up, which double compounds the headlight aim as really high.

In order to trick the sensor to re-level the headlights, you need to either install spacers between the frame bracket and sensor body OR installing a longer end link at the UCA mount.

I started by installing spacers, as it is the easiest remedy. I used some thick washers that I had and installed them in between the frame bracket and the sensor body (roughly 3/16" thick). Then used the UCA bracket slot to give me more adjustment. And finally I fine tuned the aim with the on-headlight screw adjusters.

Just be warned that if you are only adjusting the headlights with the screw adjusters and the headlights are really out of wack, you may adjust too far and disconnect the adjusters. The LED headlights are non-fixable from outside the light (from what I understand) and they are big $$$ to replace.

I can try to take pics of the sensor if anyone is interested.

You can also google search "LC200 headlight sensor spacer" and a AUS company has the spacers for sale (no USA options).

Does anyone know how to order this specific TJM part? Or have you all put something together on your own? I've contacted Slee, but I haven't heard back yet (only been about a day, so it's totally understandable).
I actually messaged TJM about it last week, but still haven't heard from them either

There is a lever with sensor in the rear suspension for the 2016+ that is what changes the angle of the headlights. The sensor body is mounted to the frame and the end of the lever is attached to the upper control arm. The sensor uses angular (rotational) movement of the sensor shaft to determine pitch of the truck. The sensor is on the left rear side of the truck.

There is a minor amount of adjustment via a slot on the UCA bracket (~1").

When you lift just the front of the truck, the rear sensor is not affected, therefore making the headlights aim high.

When you install a full suspension lift 2"+, the sensor on the rear suspension in effect recognizes the truck being high in the rear, so it adjusts the headlights up, which double compounds the headlight aim as really high.

In order to trick the sensor to re-level the headlights, you need to either install spacers between the frame bracket and sensor body OR installing a longer end link at the UCA mount.

I started by installing spacers, as it is the easiest remedy. I used some thick washers that I had and installed them in between the frame bracket and the sensor body (roughly 3/16" thick). Then used the UCA bracket slot to give me more adjustment. And finally I fine tuned the aim with the on-headlight screw adjusters.

Just be warned that if you are only adjusting the headlights with the screw adjusters and the headlights are really out of wack, you may adjust too far and disconnect the adjusters. The LED headlights are non-fixable from outside the light (from what I understand) and they are big $$$ to replace.

I can try to take pics of the sensor if anyone is interested.

You can also google search "LC200 headlight sensor spacer" and a AUS company has the spacers for sale (no USA options).
I like this solution. I think I'll give it a try. Thank you!

I would guess that one could build their own adjustable turnbuckle with appropriate 90 degree bolt on either end using Home Depot hardware. I just discovered this thread yesterday. I had actually completely forgotten about the headlight auto-aiming feature. It's been 8 months since I had the lift done and I've only had the truck for just under a year. I'll see if I can put something together from HD. I'll keep this thread updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom