Adding Airbags to AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TeCKis300 i drilled out the existing holes to 3/4” using a step bit, but just realized that the air valves don’t line up perfectly. Did you do anything to center the holes or everything will sort out once I lower the rig and air up the bags?

Also, do you have any pics of your air lines? I’m looking for a route to move from the axle to the frame, but it looks like I need to run up on the shock side to get a clean run. Or did you run up on the panhard side?

4605E695-BF1E-4CC7-B40C-00A189979E7E.jpeg

Last edited:
I used the brake line and was able to fish the air lines above my LRA. Now I just need to gen everything back together and figure out how much slack I need.

B9EC7F57-7929-4F07-8823-B380B3B9A2D9.jpeg

D3F0FBF7-7C84-43EB-9091-3707AEF56619.jpeg

8286EFB6-F909-4EB0-9936-68489B89FD4F.jpeg

56FEAF13-C237-4988-802D-037005FE0F5E.jpeg

@TeCKis300 i drilled out the existing holes to 3/4” using a step bit, but just realized that the air valves don’t line up perfectly. Did you do anything to center the holes or everything will sort out once I lower the rig and air up the bags?

Also, do you have any pics of your air lines? I’m looking for a route to move from the axle to the frame, but it looks like I need to run up on the shock side to get a clean run. Or did you run up on the panhard side?

View attachment 3053565

Late reply as I'm out camping. I actually routed it upwards which is just okay as I've had it pinch the lines a couple times. Curious how the downward routing will go.

I think I need taller bags now and never drop under 5psi to keep the bags centered.

As I installed this more as an experiment, I wanted to minimize mods that were done to the vehicle. The airbags I'm using is Air Lift 60728, meant for the 100-series. I believe they are shorter in free length than what is normally spec'd for the 200-series. Diameter fits correctly in the coil. Shorter works to my advantage IMO.

I didn't cut the stock jounce limiter aggressively, and only took one segment off (of 4). Fully installed, this shorter bag still has 1/2" free length clearance as full droop per the installation guide.

Here's the stack up. Note I also have a 30mm spacer at the top to augment AHC for weight and sensor lift, so I'm not reliant on the airbags at all. They are supplementary which is the way I want them as airbags can have limitations for full articulation, both in compression and extension.
View attachment 2551261

Here's where I ran the airlines. There's a convenient bracket for the tailgate torsion bar (LX only) that already has to available holes. I believe this bracket also exists for the LC? Bent the bracket down a bit to have a better angle to fill. And enlarge the hole just a tad with a stepped bit and the Schrader valves fit nicely.

View attachment 2551268
Nice work. Can I ask which airbags did you purchase? Can you share a link/details, of brand etc?

Nice work. Can I ask which airbags did you purchase? Can you share a link/details, of brand etc?

I've since swapped to this Firestone kit which I believe is the one meant for 200-series application. Switched as I sensor lifted my rig with long travel and needed the taller bags.

Amazon product ASIN B003HJ3JOA

Last edited:
I've since swapped to this Firestone kit which I believe is the one meant for 200-series application. Switched I further sensor lifted my rig and went long travel.
did you route air lines down this time?

did you route air lines down this time?

Still went upwards as that had been working for me. Other than the one time with the old bags that were too short, and I let all the air out, causing excess line to pull down and get pinched. Which is why I switched.

How's down working for you?

loving the bags and the ability to add air for towing!
Considering adding one of these, but camelcamelcamel shows it to be trending about $100 high...

I've been eyeing that too. Too bad they don't have a 2 path (independent L and R) controller like that otherwise I'd be in. I use mine a lot to level for roof top camping.

loving the bags and the ability to add air for towing!
Considering adding one of these, but camelcamelcamel shows it to be trending about $100 high...

Boy, I’d avoid that like the Covid. With both bags connected a right hand turn will push air out of the heavy left hand bag, lowering the left side, and into the lighter right side. The exact opposite of what you want. Of course the suspension on the LX will combat some of that but…….
same thing on side hills.

Too bad they don't have a 2 path (independent L and R) controller like that otherwise I'd be in
suck. For some reason I thought it was able to independently control the bags.

suck. For some reason I thought it was able to independently control the bags.

I haven't dug that far, but there seems to be lots of general purpose air solenoids and parts to do a homebrew solution cheap. It won't get to the level of integration of the AirLift, but could be an interesting option.

Amazon product ASIN B089ZS9MJX

I haven't dug that far, but there seems to be lots of general purpose air solenoids and parts to do a homebrew solution cheap. It won't get to the level of integration of the AirLift, but could be an interesting option.

Amazon product ASIN B089ZS9MJX
This would be my go at it:

1x Motorcycle TPMS:
Amazon product ASIN B09Y1QM2P5 (there are also remote screen versions)

1x Two Relay Bluetooth Switch
https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-2-Channel-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B07MNVKY2V (or a remote version)

2x Pneumatic Solenoid Valve

You could go crazy and find a 3-4 relay box and add a 3rd solenoid valve to put between the left and right bags as a balancer while filling the bags. full "dual mono" system <$100 with wireless control and monitoring.

This would be my go at it:

1x Motorcycle TPMS:
Amazon product ASIN B09Y1QM2P5 (there are also remote screen versions)

1x Two Relay Bluetooth Switch
Amazon product ASIN B07MNVKY2V (or a remote version)

2x Pneumatic Solenoid Valve

You could go crazy and find a 3-4 relay box and add a 3rd solenoid valve to put between the left and right bags as a balancer while filling the bags. full "dual mono" system <$100 with wireless control and monitoring.

Nice!! That could make for a pretty awesome full featured setup.

I was thinking if I had more switches open on my switchpros that has manual and BT controls, would be a cool switch integrations.

Nice!! That could make for a pretty awesome full featured setup.

I was thinking if I had more switches open on my switchpros that has manual and BT controls, would be a cool switch integrations.
Yeah, start throwing in switchpros or Auxbeam switches and it gets even cooler.

Short of an automatic fill system.

Not sure if I've shared these fancy valve stem caps. Handy to extend the valve stems when in this position, but they also smooth out the workflow as it's a self sealing cap.

PXL_20230119_170600266.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B08BVVJCFQ

View attachment 2548294

Picture is probably too subtle to show but it's part of the why - adding airbags creates the ability to level the vehicle side to side and front to back for backcountry car camping. In the pic, I have the right side jacked up 2" with about 25 PSI in the right rear bag. Secondly, while AHC has been tremendously robust putting up with a sensor lift and 2000lbs payload, it couldn't hurt augment the system. I had Airlift airbags sitting in my garage meant for my previous LX470 that I never installed, so figured I'd give it a try with nothing to lose.

For more context on numbers, I tow a heavy trailer (8000lbs, 1200lbs tongue). The LX is rated at 1385 lbs payload and I'm way beyond that with scales showing 2000lbs payload and 1700lbs on the rear axle alone. AHC has been great over the thousands of miles I've towed without complaint, while tailoring just the right spring rate and damping at all times, without sacrificing clearance or sagging as it's constant height regardless of load (to a point). Not unexpectedly, at those weights and particularly when the trailer tongue is down grade, I cannot get into high mode as the system probably detects over threshold AHC pressures, which this airbag mod may be able to remedy.

The system now has 3 forms of payload support. Stock AHC uses tender coil springs paired with hydraulic shocks. Adding airbags creates a tailorable 3rd load support systems. The goal is to transparently relieve some load from the hydraulic system. Without interfering in its ability to maintain great ride quality on road, or hampering articulation off-road.

I only just threw it in and haven't driven much yet, but I'll report back whether I've met these goals.

View attachment 2548355
Do these air springs/bags function, in essence, also as a bump stop? Like would they limit up travel somewhat?

Do these air springs/bags function, in essence, also as a bump stop? Like would they limit up travel somewhat?

Yes, they can also function as a bump stop. An adjustable one. Aired down to minimum PSI, I have not found them to limit travel. Which is the beauty of the setup.

So, those who have bought the 200 specific bags, going on Firestone's website, they have a 08-12(W237604164 (also says Infinity QX80, all 200's and Sequoia) vs a 13-18 set (PN W237604135 (also says some 4Runner and FJC)

So now i'm curious on what to actually put on my LX 2014. It appears that it's shorter/ wider if the pics are true. Unfortunatly doesn't show any sizing on the website...
1685679470884.png

For anybody else wondering... The "13-18 set (PN W237604135 (also says some 4Runner and FJC)" set does NOT fit...
The "08-12(W237604164 (also says Infinity QX80, all 200's and Sequoia) " probably fits all era 200s, definitely fits my 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom