Actual Roof Load Capacity and Gutter Mount Prep? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Two questions:

1) How much weight can a healthy FJ80 / FZJ80 roof safetly support, in motion and when stopped? @thegogglesdonothing has mentioned extensive travels with a 120# RTT (plus rack of unspecified weight) and ~550# when stopped for the night. What's the scoop here, and where are the best places to look to see if the PO cracked the pillars? (I mean, he mucked up a bunch of other things, so why not that, right?) To be clear, I'm talking gutter mounts here, not the stock setup.

2) Best practices for gutter check and prep prior to rack mounting? Planning to run 5 brackets on each side. (Looks like @thegogglesdonothing runs 4 per side.) Should those be spaced evenly, or preference given to over-pillar positions? Gutters a little wavy from the PO's Gamiviti bars.

Last edited:
Spread the load with a bar in the gutter. More surface area means more weight distribution. I am totally overthinking the question at hand.

Two questions:

1) How much weight can a healthy FJ80 / FZJ80 roof safetly support, in motion and when stopped? @thegogglesdonothing has mentioned extensive travels with a 120# RTT (plus rack of unspecified weight) and ~550# when stopped for the night. What's the scoop here, and where are the best places to look to see if the PO cracked the pillars? (I mean, he mucked up a bunch of other things, so why not that, right?) To be clear, I'm talking gutter mounts here, not the stock setup.

2) Best practices for gutter check and prep prior to rack mounting? Planning to run 5 brackets on each side. (Looks like @thegogglesdonothing runs 4 per side.) Should those be spaced evenly, or preference given to over-pillar positions? Gutters a little wavy from the PO's Gamiviti bars.
So my gutters are a little bent from the combo of the PO of my truck and (I assume) the wear and tear of a heavy-ass rack, tent, awning + humans and dogs. However, I keep checking it out every time before I take a long trip and it’s holding up.

I gotta say, Gobi as a company has won my long-term business. There’s four towers on the side of the rack (for mounting to the gutters) and in honesty a couple of years ago I noticed that one of the towers had broken, right at the angle where it bends to contact to the rack itself. To their credit, Gobi replaced the entire rack free of charge for me when I showed them pictures. TLDR; buy a Gobi, you won’t regret it.

As for total weight, I think the rack is ~100#, another ~120# for the tent, ~80# for the awning, plus ~320# of humans and ~120# of dogs (if its cold enough) so that makes for ~740# static.

I look at those gutters and wonder how they can hold so much weight but I think it’s one of the strongest points of the truck due to how the metal is rolled during manufacturing.

So my gutters are a little bent from the combo of the PO of my truck and (I assume) the wear and tear of a heavy-ass rack, tent, awning + humans and dogs. However, I keep checking it out every time before I take a long trip and it’s holding up.

I gotta say, Gobi as a company has won my long-term business. There’s four towers on the side of the rack (for mounting to the gutters) and in honesty a couple of years ago I noticed that one of the towers had broken, right at the angle where it bends to contact to the rack itself. To their credit, Gobi replaced the entire rack free of charge for me when I showed them pictures. TLDR; buy a Gobi, you won’t regret it.

As for total weight, I think the rack is ~100#, another ~120# for the tent, ~80# for the awning, plus ~320# of humans and ~120# of dogs (if its cold enough) so that makes for ~740# static.

I look at those gutters and wonder how they can hold so much weight but I think it’s one of the strongest points of the truck due to how the metal is rolled during manufacturing.
Holy cow that's a lotta weight! Forgot about the awning. Thanks for the update. Guess I'll be safe then. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom