ACH fluid leaked out, tank empty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i went outside and noticed the truck totally low. Big puddle of ACH fluid under passenger side rear dorr approx where the glo be is. Globe looks ok blenders ok. Any recomendations on what to Check next? Bad hose to shock? Rusted line?

95D87C98-C549-4113-BDAB-B52D335CC757.jpeg

AE5A4AAB-5D1F-49FD-88B9-2246D19748D3.jpeg

No fluid around globe, above where it hit the ground? Maybe rear shock blew a leak.

Check your lines, I replaced two rusty lines when I bought my truck. Depending on where they leaked, it might not drip on anything else on the way down, so it can be hard to find. Based on where you say it leaked it leaked I doubt it'd be a shock.

Also depending on which line, they can be an absolute pain to install without taking the body off the frame...

It looks like the shock has a rubber line that connects to a metal line right around th back door on outside of frame. That is the line that is leaking.
Does anyone have a drawing and part number?

Keep an eye on the classifieds for take-offs, I got all lines and globes for less than cruiserparts has this one line for.

Has anyone changes the attached ACH line and know how long it takes?
Is the rubber line and steel line 1 line?

876EAD92-4228-4DC1-86CD-A1CF8933B939.jpeg

DAD18C6A-2BB9-485E-9991-466177518EAB.jpeg

8E992151-0F83-4062-AA4F-192DEA1F0AFE.jpeg

No idea how difficult that job is, but I think this is the hose you need: Pressure Hose - Toyota (49163-60041) | Toyota Parts

1594962947968.png

I'd find someone that removed AHC. That hose is $260 new at wholesale-ish prices, but I bet you could find it nearly free with a little digging.

Having done it, it’s honestly a total pain in the ass, but doable at home.

Getting the nuts off the top of the shock is tricky but not the end of the world, get some flex head ratcheting wrenches, get it on there in the small amount of space there is and they’ll come off a 17th of a turn at a time.

The hard part is getting the rigid section of the hose up and over the frame and into place. It’s obviously something that was installed on the frame before the body was attached, so there will be a lot of wiggling and fussing with it. Nothing technically difficult, just a ton of patience required to get it in place without bending it too much. ( I did cheat and bend the hose a bit to get it in)

ok so I need a little direction on this one. All the lines are in a similar situation heavy rust. Body and frame has surface rust but nothing to bad. Here is the question? Fix lines or do the Strutmaster conversion? I got quoted $664 for parts and $850 for labor. Old shocks are original on the 2000 lx and a lot of rusted bolts.
Truck in good shape, heater tees done, L-seats, 177k on the clock, new tires.
If I do the conversion will I be able to sell the globes? 2 have under 10k on them replaced a year ago.

I was in your exact spot a year and a half ago, decided to replace my two lines that were particularly bad. Everything is still fine and the car rides great.

If you just did the globes recently I would try to do the lines and see where you land. It's a pain, but probably less of a pain than replacing everything, and I can't picture how the strutmasters could ride better than the AHC.

I'm a huge proponent of AHC. It's a highly reliable system that rarely makes sense to remove. The biggest exception to that statement is rust. If there's any good reason to remove AHC aside from month-long treks across Africa/Australia, it's pervasive rust.

I'd replace this line and then seek out used pipes on here or facebook/ebay on the cheap so you're ready for the next failure. I would not consider a strutmasters conversion, but I would consider a standard LC conversion with OEM parts (or a lift kit if that's of interest to you). As time goes on and other stuff fails (or doesn't) reconsider your AHCs future. It's worth replacing a few pipes to keep AHC. It may not be worth replacing 4 pipes, 2 shocks, a set of globes, a pump, etc... It's very rare that would be needed, but if the rust is bad enough, it's possible.

Good luck!

I actually did drivers front and passenger rear. the rear one took me probably 4-5 hours... front more like 2-3. Got them both done on a weekend while outside parked on the street in NYC, haha.

ACH in good working order changed out back globes 10k miles ago. Unfortunately all the lines are rusted similar to photos i attached. Shocks don’t leak but rusted to the point of possibly needing a change out. A conversion looks to be the best way forward even though i bought the lexus over the LC because of ACH. Can anyone comment on the difference in ride with a Conversion? Especially the strutmaster conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom