AC what to do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I am getting close to fixing my AC and installing a number of new components. When I got my FJ60 the AC did not work (blew warm). Figured out there is no Freon in there.
I jumped the compressor and confirmed it worked. After thinking about it I decided to get everything to make the system new. In Northern Virginia 100 degrees and 100% humidity is not uncommon so AC is a must.

Including (all parts are new):
Dryer
Expansion valve
Evaporator Core
A/C Condenser
Compressor
O rings
Etc.

The actual AC lines look to be in decent shape.

Now begs the question, keep it R12 or convert to R134a? You must be certified for R12, but really a open book test for $20 and it is online. Pass and you are certified, so that is not a road block.
Manifold can be had cheap but R12 Cans are $$$

So the question begs.....what would you do?

Last edited:
Mine is still R12 and blows ice cold. That being said, if I had to, for some reason, replace the entire system, I'd convert it.

You must be certified for R12, but really a open book test for $20 and it is online and your certified, so that is not a road block.
Manifold can be had cheap but R12 Cans are $$$.

I did the cert. test, and buy my freon for ~$30 per can on ebay (cheapest in the fall/winter). I have three rigs on r12 and plan on keeping them that way till they (the rigs, not the AC) die.

$0.02

Keepin my 60 on R12, Ive been buying cans for 20/can off CL. Ive got 9 cans. Charged my system with 1 can and can of OIl. My compressor blew 47 degrees after few mins. Prbably should be colder, but I did not want to overcharge. Going by my mech on Friday to check system level and for leaks. My 60 sat for 4 years and was low on freon, compressor would kick on till added the 1 can. We'll see what happens next.

I never made none of my systems ( #17 compressor on both 80 and 60 ) go under 50 .. in my 60 running 134a replace condenser and evap new lines, and spal fan on the condenser ..

I never made none of my systems ( #17 compressor on both 80 and 60 ) go under 50 .. in my 60 running 134a replace condenser and evap new lines, and spal fan on the condenser ..
I'm curious about this as well as I'm updating my system. My son did the same to his last summer and he mentioned I needed to change the expansion valve as well. His AC blows ice cold. Could this

Hmm
While converting to R134a is an option. How is the cooling.

You Texas guys, as I have been in that area a lot I know summers are hot and soupy.

How has your conversion gone??

I'm in So. Cal and converted to 134a replacing all the components you mention above (professionally done). It works fine and cools well enough for the brutal summers here in the San Fernando Valley. The chilled air comes out of the vents at 40* F. -- Problem is more in cooling that big open drafty space in a 60.

HOWEVER, it was pointed out to me after I had to refill the system, that systems designed for R12 will work with 134, but because of the relative size of the refrigerant molecules, r134a escapes from the system much faster than R12.

So, if you convert, be prepared to 'top-off' the system every couple seasons or so. That's really no big deal, though, and you can get a case of r134a on ebay for the price of a single can of R12.

Also, you don't mention, but if you do go with 134, you'll need some adapter fitting for the Denso Compressor.

I converted my 60 to R134. Compressor is not stock (ford compressor designed for R12), and neither is the condensor, but the evaporator is. Hoses are a mixture of stock and new.

In the Vegas heat, I love it. Works perfect

I took this pic on July 18, 2012
402961_3905826938163_833973977_n-jpg.655975

I have not added any freon to my setup.

@Spike Strip this is a very good point $59 for a case of r134a and $200 for 16 cans of R12 BIG difference.
My 2007 F150 needs to be topped up every few years so that is not new.
After living in Florida, darker windows help but not interested in doing this yet. So it will be hard to cool either way.

Fittings are cheap and all over the place, in Northern Virginia every auto parts store had them at this time of year.

@Mace.

Been to Vegas in the dead of summer for a conference it was 108 - 110 degrees just about every day the inside of my rental car was around 400 degrees.
IF an R134a conversion can work there....then ya it works.

I think while I would like to keep it R12, as I am replacing everything a move to R134a is a must.

thanks everyone

I had system converted to R134 last year. Works well...why delay the inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom