AC Compressor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thedoughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
Is this a common AC compressor failure point? The first 2 pictures were taken 2 months ago after a 3000+ mile road trip. The AC worked, except for in Vegas after driving for 6 hours and the outside temp being 100+.

I cleaned the area, drove it for 2 months and snapped the 3rd picture tonight.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

@Tools R Us The system has dye in it from a previous leak test. Prior to my road trip I had the system checked. It was about 8 ounces low so they topped it off and checked it for leaks. They did not find any leaks... I am assuming the system is leaking a bit due to my experience in Vegas when the AC didn't work well with a heat soaked engine and high outside temps.

Looks like a front seal leak. You can replace it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. Front seal is Santech MT2147 and use the shaft seal protector #MT4024 (unless you want to do it twice).

@Tools R Us The system has dye in it from a previous leak test. Prior to my road trip I had the system checked. It was about 8 ounces low so they topped it off and checked it for leaks. They did not find any leaks... I am assuming the system is leaking a bit due to my experience in Vegas when the AC didn't work well with a heat soaked engine and high outside temps.

That event likely had more to do with insufficient airflow, fan clutch?

Get a hold of @Coolstream. He has all your 80 series AC parts. My compressor crapped out in the same spot except my bearing and shaft was shot. Just ordered a whole new compressor to replace the original one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom