AC compressor wire question - FJ80 3FE (also new member intro post…) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings friends. New to me 91 FJ80 with 227k miles. There is a red wire coming off the ac compressor that is not connected to anything. Anyone know where this should be attached? Farther down near the oil filter there is a white/grey plastic connector that is missing a connection but I’m not sure if it is the right type of connector for what’s on the end of the red wire. The white connector comes out of the loom that appears to be going to the oil pressure sender. (I think that is what’s below the filter based on some searches - the 3FE is new to me and I’m not an experienced wrencher.).

My ac works great and my oil pressure gauge seems to work on the dash so I’m mindful of not just plugging things in and causing a problem I didn’t have. I'm also wondering if the PO disconnected some things to make a problem go away but not fix it. Thus my first point about not wanting to open can of worms. I do have a high idle that I’m trying to sort out but am guessing not related to this.
IMG_8706_Original.jpeg
IMG_8732_Original.jpeg
IMG_8730_Original.jpeg
IMG_8727_Original.jpeg
Appreciate any thoughts.

That red wire is not OEM and is disconnected at both ends. If everything is working as it should, then pull it out and throw it in the trash.
It is attached to something on the AC compressor. Do you know what that part is circled in yellow?

Also, any idea what the connector is that is coming off the wire that does to the oil pressure sender in the pic with my hand? Thanks.
IMG_8730_Original.jpeg

I’m now questioning whether my oil gauge actually works correctly. As others have said in previous posts, it basically doesn’t move from where it lands after I start the truck, regardless of the throttle input. And the wire for the sender is in pretty bad shape, frayed in a couple spots. It seems like the red wire is spliced into that black/yellow wire that is run parallel to the wire coming up from the oil sender. And the orphan connector down by the sender is spliced into the sender wire for some reason.

All the wiring was coated in oil from a long term leak that I’ll need to sort out. For now, I just took off the old/brittle plastic loom, wrapped up the frayed bits with electrical tape and and put the wires in a new loom. If that red wire is spliced in with the ac clutch wire would that prevent the clutch from working since the circuit isn’t closed? Since my ac blows cold maybe it would be stuck in the on position? Apologies for dumb questions. I’ve spent a lot of time searching and haven’t found anything that gives me comfort I know what’s going on here.

IMG_8750_Original.jpeg
IMG_8745_Original.jpeg
IMG_8743_Original.jpeg
IMG_8746_Original.jpeg

I would replace the sub harness that runs both the AC compressor and Oil Pressure sensor. On a 1FZ its 82221-60020, unsure on the 3FE part number. You can also replace the Oil Pressure sending unit, I believe the part number is 83520-6011 for your 3FE. That should solve your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom