AAAAAAAAGH! Head gasket's blown!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, Dan's got a HG set on the way. I called Blackstone Labs who got my FedEx'd oil sample today and they confirm there's coolant in the oil. My next question was 'how are the bearings and cylinder environment'? They said it all looks good and that the engine is healthy otherwise. The advantage of knowing before damage took place, I guess. Clearly, if you suspect a HG, this is one definitive way to know - oil sample. Kudus to Blackstone for a fast response, also - I highly recommend them.

So, looks like I'll be elbow deep in the engine by the end of Friday. Finish cleaning and prepping for assembly on Sunday, and put it back together Mon/Tues, hopefully. I ordered new brushes for the alternator since it will by lying on the floor, and I'll also put new hoses behind the engine (to firewall) since I'll be staring right at them. Throttle body clean, egr tube clean, etc. Anyone think of anything else I should do?

This also means I get to buy a few tools!!

and take a bunch of pics too!

sorry to hear that, but, eh, it's more engine lovin'....

Head Gasket Video ?

Cleanup and match the ports and polish the chambers. :D If you don't want to remove the valves I would atleast shine up the chambers. Also a good time to send the injectors in for cleaning.

Kevin, what tool would you use for polishing the chambers? A drimel perhaps?

any coolant use or coolant smell? i have noticed occasional smell of coolant on the highway on two recent long drives. Comes and goes quickly and with no coolant loss I was thinking it's other cars.

I second a head gasket video- I'll be the first in line to buy it.

semlin said:
any coolant use or coolant smell? i have noticed occasional smell of coolant on the highway on two recent long drives. Comes and goes quickly and with no coolant loss I was thinking it's other cars.

ah, you missed the whole story eh, with the pipe sniffing and all....

concretejungle said:
Kevin, what tool would you use for polishing the chambers? A drimel perhaps?

I prefer air powered die grinders and fine grit sandpaper rolls, then moving to scotch bright crossbuffs. In a pinch emery cloth or wet & dry sandpaper with finger power or a dremel will work. :D If your not removing the valves and porting the goal is to make the chambers smooth, not removing any significant metal or changing the shape. Smooth surfaces transfer less heat into the head, are less likely to cause preigntion and carbon won't stick as well.

Last edited:
This is on the 97, his recent purchase. I think around 150k or so?

landtank said:
welcome to the club.

Remind him of the chain guide..... ;)

Sorry to hear that my friend. :whoops:

cruiserdan said:
Remind him of the chain guide..... ;)

he hasn't listened to me so far and I have no reason to start thinking he will now. :rolleyes:

but in any case,

watch out for breaking the chain tensioner

don't use a srunge or similar to clean the head/block mating surfaces

chase the holes for the head bolts

buy new exhaust studs and nuts as it's easier to remove the manifolds by removing the studs than removing the down pipe first as the FSM states. Torx socket needed.

order a set of calibrated injectors from MAF

check and order the valve shims prior to disassembly if you are not going to grind them so they will arrive from Dan in time for reassembly.

replace the oil pressure spring

replace the fuel regulator and filter if not already done.

besure to clean out the egr passage from the exhaust manifold through the head to the egr pipe.

lastly blow out the back side of the connectors of the harness prior to removing the harness so you will less likely break a locking tab.

while it's a long job it's not a difficult one. My cell is on 24/7 so PM me if you would like the number for some realtime help if you get stuck.

Tools R Us said:
I prefer air powered die grinders and fine grit sandpaper rolls, then moving to scotch bright crossbuffs. In a pinch emery cloth or wet & dry sandpaper with finger power or a dremel will work. :D If your not removing the valves and porting the goal is to make the chambers smooth, not removing any significant metal or changing the shape. Smooth surfaces transfer less heat into the head, are less likely to cause preigntion and carbon won't stick as well.

THanks. I wasn't really planning on porting, just a little polish as you suggest. I figure if the thing is off, might as well do what you can.

I'm kinda curious too, if i have the valve cover off and all the crap that comes off above to get it off, how far away from the HG am i? The only HG i've ever messed with was on my sister's old Isuzu I-4 trooper. When i took the valve cover off, slipped the timing belt off and to the side, took the head bolts out and that was it. Is it the same with the 1fzfe?

So the lab confirmed that there was water in the oil. Was there no milky froth on the dipstick at all?

In addition to Rick's list, put some protection on the wiring loom at the EGR.

Rick, what oil pressure spring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom