AAAAAAAAGH! Head gasket's blown!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserman said:
In addition to Rick's list, put some protection on the wiring loom at the EGR.

Rick, what oil pressure spring?

The oil pressure relief valve spring that is contained in the timing cover. It and the valve are retained by a big bolt that goes in perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.

As I said in the other thread.... Bummer. :frown:

And if you decide to do the video, I'm betting even money that you will pay for the HG job by the end of the summer '06.

-B-

Oh, and Doug, be sure to vote in the HG poll....! :frown:

landtank said:
toyota should have already taken care of this. It was the earlier 93,94 ( I think )engines with the bad routing.

Mine's a '93.

Whenever I have wiring connectors apart, I squirt a dab of silicon grease into them on reconnection, makes a great water/corrosion inhibitor and makes disconnecting them a breeze next time.

At least you caught it early before something worse happened.

Just for kicks, how much in parts did you order, (rough estimate) and how much if you add Landtank's parts list?

yea, congrats!
that was a good eye and good thinking!
you saved yourself from a major nightmare possbily...

look at it this way after you are done you will not have to worry abotu it any more. if done right it is a one time problem.

Sorry to hear you have been bestowed the HG replacement honor. At least it wasn't a catastrophic event, and you can rest assured you will have a solid engine for years to come!

Oh, and I'm knocking on wood, crossing my fingers, saying some prayers right now that the HG doesn't get me. :D

Can you post the numbers from the Blackstone report...in another thread maybe?

I ordered my kit from blackstone just now:( Doug, can you give me a rough estimate of what the HG kit is costing you?

Sorry to hear it was true, but the sweet smell in the exhaust is a real bad sign as MH stated. I followed the thread but did not want to ad insult to injury. Good luck with this, if needed you can call me as well for any help.
later robbie

Robbie, can you recomend anything that should be done while the head is off? My engine has 146K on it, so I feel it would be a waste to rebuild it right now, but wouldn't mind replacing some things here and there.

Not unless you wanted to have the head Milled .010-015 for some extra ommmph. Other than that not much else adds anything(power wise if I understand your ?) unless you rebuild it all. Also toyota did not fix the heat problem with the wiring harness at the back of the head near the EGR pipe, I would get some type of insulation for this area, wrap or tape. Injectors are good at that milage. later robbie

I wasn't talking about just performance, pretty much any "stuff" that should be done. Like change the timing chain or anything like that.

Oh yer grinnin from ear to ear in anticipation, and you know it!! You might as well be racing downhill next to your buddy .. anticipating shaving a few seconds from your time, wind in your hair .. bee in your bucal fold :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Enjoy Doug

TY

Sorry to hear it Doug.

I guess it'll be somewhat challenging to take pics since your hands will be greasy, eh?

Good luck!!!

Mot

Hey Doug, Sorry to hear the bad news. I know you do some heavy towing. Did you do any of that sort with this new rig?

Thnx, Vince

Dangit I wish you lived closer! If you need any special tools I can make them and overnight them. Any tools I can lend you? Do you have air tools? I like the electrical grease idea, but Autozone has a dielectric grease in a pressurized dispenser, cheap and really clean dispenser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom