AA Ron's FJ80 refresh (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 92 in desperate need of a repower, what I ended up finding is an early 2000s Yukon with 5.3 LS for 800$. Was able to test drive and am highly confident in condition of engine and trans, so for only 200 more than it would cost to pull engine/trans/harness from local pick and pull, I have a known good running drivetrain and access to all the little parts I may need. Something to consider, since you don't seem to be in a hurry.

Don't wait on checking out the other cruiser...good seats to fast!

Here is my list, but there are plenty of other places to shop.

Toyota OEM Parts

Authentic Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Overstock - https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com

Stevens Creek Toyota
https://parts.stevenscreektoyota.com
Steven's Creek Toyota of San Jose supports their local groups.
Discount for TLCA members

McGeorge Toyota for OEM
https://toyotaonlineparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com

Freeman Toyota. Join TLCA and you can get a discount from participating dealers.

Online OEM Toyota Part Superstore | OEM Genuine Parts - https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/

www.toyotapartsdeal.com
Olathe Toyota parts online

Toyotapartsdeal.com

Parts Vendors

Cruiser Outfitters
CruiserTEQ - online store
The go to place !!
Very knowledgeable !!
Excellent customer service

Wits’ End
Excellent customer service
Extensive parts selection
Both OEM and after market
Well thought out and engineered products
Extensive knowledge base

Marlin Crawler
Extensive parts selection
Both OEM and after market
Extensive knowledge base

Slee Off Road
Colorado
Knowledgeable
Good parts selection
Well thought out designs for bumpers/parts

Land Cruiser Phil
Landcruiserproducts.com
Excellent customer service and products
Gullwing Windows - Land Cruiser Products - LCP - https://sites.google.com/site/landcruiserproducts/windows

Delta Vehicle Systems
Well engineered aftermarket parts
Rear swaybar lift bracket
Center console modules
Suspension/bumpers
Ceiling storage rack

Wagon Gear
High quality
Tailgate lids
Gull wing rear windows

Yotatech
Gull wing rear windows
Cup holders

Iron Pig Off Road
Limited aftermarket parts
Seriously strong skid plate

Moto Farkles
Limited aftermarket parts
Differential armor

4x4Labs
Top notch fab work
Bumpers/sliders

Front Range Offroad
Some speciality parts
The best APR knuckle and hub studs
Their studs AND nuts are heat treated
Knuckles that rival Hellfire

Ruff Stuff Specialties

Hellfire Knuckles
Axles, gears, steering parts

Rockwell Off Road
Heavy duty components

Amayama
the low extreme of the price spectrum: it takes a little while to arrive from Japan

Rampt Customs
Rampt Customs - https://www.ramptcustoms.com.au/

AutohausAZ
I doubt you'll find much cheaper prices for the same OEM parts than these.

Partsouq.com
Punch in your VIN and you get the same catalog the dealer uses.
Partsouq has been good to me on my last two orders. When making a big purchase of small items it can't be beat.

4 Wheel Underground
Suspension Systems Archives | 4Wheel Underground - https://www.4wheelunderground.com/product-category/suspension-systems/

Otramm
Great videos on “how-to” rebuild systems

Bulb Town
LED replacement bulbs
Interior and backup lights

4wdadventuresusa.com

Impex Japan

Valley Hybrids

Yota Masters

Rock Auto

Cruiser Brothers

RedlineGoods shift boots - https://www.redlinegoods.com

Equipt Expedition Outfitters - https://www.equipt1.com

Alu-Box - 42L aluminum box
Escape Gear seat covers

National Luna - 72L Legacy Fridge/Freezer
Kariba - hot water system

Golight LED Spotlight on Telescoping Pole Mount - Wireless Remote - 16' Coil Cord - 900' Spot Beam

AVOID

Cruiser Parts
Bad customer service reports.
Stay away

“Avoid. I've placed 3 orders with them, 2 were bad parts, one was the totally wrong part that the guy rattle-can'd black (was an interior piece)”

“Has anyone had any trouble receiving parts from cruiserparts.net ? It’s been a month now and I still havnt received what I ordered. Called them and they said the part they were waiting on came in and now they can send the parts. That was a week ago...”

“Well, it's not even timeliness - this is a very weird time I cut vendors slack with wait times. But cruiserparts is just poor products in general.”

“Recently ordered a part from there. Didn't receive a shipping confirmation. So I try to contact them. After about 5 days I email them asking to cancel the order. No response. I call them and leave a message to cancel the order. No response. I finally get a hold of a dirt bag named Roman. This is 10 days later. He tells me the order has shipped but needs to verify with Weberdirect. A lie. Tells me that a full refund is given if I am not happy with the part. A lie. So Roman tells me the part has not been shipped yet because it was Weberdirects fault. Like a fool, I let Roman talk me into keeping the order and that it's going to arrive in two days and I will receive a full refund if I am not happy. So after I hang up I feel funny about the situation. I decide to research CruiserParts.net and the Weber carb they sell. It's a fake and this forum is full of similar situations like the one I had. I immediately call them back (5 minutes later). Roman answers again. I tell him I definitely want to cancel the order. He says ok but now there is a 25% restocking fee. For a part that never left the warehouse and was never received. There not getting a cent from me. I would like to hear other peoples experiences with them. By far the worst online retailer experience I have ever had. Maybe we could get them off of IH8MUD as a vendor, if this is a common practice of theirs. Seems to be.”

CruiserParts.net Scam Scam Scammers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cruiserparts-net-scam-scam-scammers.846232/

JT Outfitters
I ordered their tune up kit. Had to call to get them to ship it, didnt even get the correct spark plugs, and didnt even get the wires.

Parts Geek, a discount parts supplier with terrible policies.

Cardid
anyone ever actually had a successful purchase from cardid? My buddy bought some stuff from them, and they sent the wrong stuff and They wouldn't allow him to return it Horrible customer service and return policy. Do not buy from them.
Thats a nice list!!! Thank you!!!

That truck looks like it's been under water to me.
I'm all for restoration as much as the next guy, but I hope he paid you the $1000 to take that away. You're gonna need it.

Just my opinion on your 3fe, just repower it. I just went through this and did a head gasket and head refresh on the 3fe, did everything I could new hoses, belts, idlers, water pump. After getting it finished I just thought I should have repowered it. One of the biggest reasons is the availability of parts, right now I think there is a chance my oil cooler is broke and options are buying a new one if available for $500 or get a used one that is at least 29 years old. Another thing to consider while the 3fe is pretty easy to work on there are some annoying things, these engines were designed before the use of air pumps, a/c compressors, and probably power steering. So when looking at the front accessories everything seems like an after thought. I mean what is up with the lower radiator hose needing to be split by the sleeve.

Funding permitted I will start pulling the drivetrain out of a 04 suburban this spring, and maybe this fall start on the swap.

AA-ron,
Congrats on the new rig! She’s rough but I look forward to her transformation. You got some cojones to take on a project of that magnitude and I wish you the best.
As others have noted, I’ve had great experience buying through partsouq as well. They ship fast, the communicate well, and everything they send is packaged exceptionally. They can be somewhat expensive depending on the parts you require due to shipping out of Dubai but if you’re not close to a good dealer who offers competitive pricing, partsouq is the way to go.
I’m excited for you brother!

Just my opinion on your 3fe, just repower it. I just went through this and did a head gasket and head refresh on the 3fe, did everything I could new hoses, belts, idlers, water pump. After getting it finished I just thought I should have repowered it. One of the biggest reasons is the availability of parts, right now I think there is a chance my oil cooler is broke and options are buying a new one if available for $500 or get a used one that is at least 29 years old. Another thing to consider while the 3fe is pretty easy to work on there are some annoying things, these engines were designed before the use of air pumps, a/c compressors, and probably power steering. So when looking at the front accessories everything seems like an after thought. I mean what is up with the lower radiator hose needing to be split by the sleeve.

Funding permitted I will start pulling the drivetrain out of a 04 suburban this spring, and maybe this fall start on the swap.
Gotcha. Definitely something to think about. One area of concern is emissions, I'm worried that then I can't get it past emissions here in NV and it isn't old enough to not need it. I could then register as a classic vehicle at which point the restrictions are something like 5000 miles per year. To be fair I probably won't drive it that much anyway so still a viable option.

Gotcha. Definitely something to think about. One area of concern is emissions, I'm worried that then I can't get it past emissions here in NV and it isn't old enough to not need it. I could then register as a classic vehicle at which point the restrictions are something like 5000 miles per year. To be fair I probably won't drive it that much anyway so still a viable option.
Yeah that is a good point, I don't have emissions testing where I am at and desmoged mine when I put it back together.

So awesome you picked up an 80. Be patient and keep your eyes out on the 3FE and something good will pop up. I got a running one for free from someone doing a swap.

Get a barn cat and throw in there for a few days.

Hi A-aron. Nice to meet you. We are a bunch of enablers. Great excitement is with you from this group. We will bankrupt you if you let us. The ride is going to be glorious.

hahah yes I love coming on here and spending everyone else's money for them too so I totally get it.:rofl:
I think maybe I wanted the enabling to help me pull the trigger to buy it. Now I got it and I gotta start doing something with it. This hobby is fun but yes can get expensive.

Cheaper than buying a new solid axle 4x4 that is comfy inside. Keep that in your back pocket...

Get a barn cat and throw in there for a few days.
C4947555-B702-4CC5-B9D2-C85D4A225CF2.jpeg

I had the chance today to go clean things up a little, or a lot actually, but it's still not perfect. I still want to take everything out and pressure wash the carpet, but where it sits now it's surrounded by snow and mud and there's not an easy way to get it all out for the time. As weather gets better, I'll be able to do a better job of detailing it and making it better. But I'm pleased with how it's starting to clean up. Maybe now it looks more like it was worth the buy.
1612677720701.png

1612677774134.png

1612677804702.png

1612677835890.png

Anyone have a door handle bezel for the front door?
1612678147269.png

It's looking much better man, I'm jealous of your carpet! You're making good progress on what seemed like a huge undertaking based on the initial photos. Keep up the good work.

check with @Deathvalleypaul , hes good to work with. i would also consider removing the woodgrain overlay as it gets crusty, cracked and looks old and tired after 20+ years

The bezel should be still available, though likely only in the
I had the chance today to go clean things up a little, or a lot actually, but it's still not perfect. I still want to take everything out and pressure wash the carpet, but where it sits now it's surrounded by snow and mud and there's not an easy way to get it all out for the time. As weather gets better, I'll be able to do a better job of detailing it and making it better. But I'm pleased with how it's starting to clean up. Maybe now it looks more like it was worth the buy.
View attachment 2578174
View attachment 2578179
View attachment 2578180
View attachment 2578181

View attachment 2578186
The bezels are still available, but I think it is only in blue gray. Pretty easy, though, to paint them with SEM to match the oak interior.

check with @Deathvalleypaul , hes good to work with. i would also consider removing the woodgrain overlay as it gets crusty, cracked and looks old and tired after 20+ years
All that stuff is totally coming off. It's on the list as I pull everything off and clean it up. I just sourced some door handle bezels through @ToyotaMatt while I was ordering some keys for this thing so I should be good there.

All that stuff is totally coming off
gently use a heat gun or hair drier and it can help pealing it off. if theres any left over double sided tape you can use adhesive remover and a plastic scraper to get the residual off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom