A440F Special Service Tool - Make your Own (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt my 1992 A440F transmission, with parts I designed and had laser cut for me, the files to make those parts are attached.

There are a few different Special Service Tool (SST) kits recommended for rebuilding these. One appears to be discontinued, the other might still be available but it's about $980 USD at the time I'm posting this.

Those kits are here:
https://toyota.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=09350-36010-01 - this appears to be discontinued
https://toyota.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=09350-30020-01 - this cost about $980

I wasn't going to spend over $1k USD on a special tool kit (after shipping costs).
After disassembling the transmission, I designed my own "tools" to serve in place of the kit I didn't buy.

I had the parts in the DXF files, laser cut from 3/16 stainless. Quantities for each are in the filename of each part.
3/16 was thick enough steel, but I don't recommend using thinner than 3/16", as it may not be strong enough. I only used stainless since that's the thickest I had available as the time of laser cutting, non stainless should work just as well.

I can only attach 5 files at a time, so I'll have to spread them over a few posts. Pictures will follow in the next post as well.
***The last DXF is on the end of the second post of this thread.

Other tools are needed:
A few bolts (for pulling the front pump and some of the clutch packs) M8 130mm long 1.25mm thread pitch Quantity of 2 Link
A 3 ft (1m) length of threaded rod with nuts (see pictures)
A dial indicator with stand and possibly some extensions to the end of the dial indicator. I added picutes and a link in a later post on this thread.

Notes:
1. If using different metal thickness than 3/16" for the DXF parts, then change the width of the angled notches in the press plates, and the notches in the end of the bars, as they are currently sized for 3/16", thicker metals won't mate together properly and thinner metals likely won't be strong enough.
2. I held the bars on to the press plates with thick rubber bands, like the ones used by the US postal system. See pictures.
3. There are two different press plates shown in the pictures, one has 8 notches for the bars on the sides, the other only has 4, I originally designed two different plates, for the different size circles but changed the design so both plates (2 are needed) will have all 8 notches in case one plate gets bent. This will likely reduce your cost to have them cut since they have to deal with less DXF files.
4. I tried a few different types of tape to hold the circles to the ends of the bars, the aluminum tape shown in the first picture worked the best. It's similar to thick aluminum foil with adhesive on one side and is for ductwork (like heating and air conditioning vents in a home or business). Without the tape, the bars could slip off the circles, possibly damaging the transmission components.

One other important thing, please take a minute to thank the moderators for all they do here. They were very receptive to my request to allow DXF files to be attached to posts, that change is what makes this thread possible.

Open source info:
All the DXF parts in the first and second posts of this thread are of my own design and I'm releasing them freely for anyone to use them for whatever purpose, including personal and commercial use (if you want to use these to assemble and sell your own kit, please do so) without restrictions. I would hope you would give me credit for the design, but I release these without restrictions on IH8MUD as a small thank you to this community and as a way for me to give back to this community for all the ways it's helped me over the years. If you use or are inspired by this, please give back as well.

Attachments

• Bar1 - Quantity of 4.dxf
    53.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Bar2 - Quantity of 4.dxf
    53 KB · Views: 157
  • Circle 1 - quantity of 1.dxf
    46.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Circle 2 - quantity of 1.dxf
    46.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Press-pull plate - Quantity 2.dxf
    87.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Here is the last DXF file and some pictures of the parts, assembled. One picture has a bottle of oil there for scale.

20191102_144956.jpg

20191102_145557.jpg

20191102_145602.jpg

20191102_145609.jpg

Attachments

• Round Press Plate - Quantity of 1.dxf
    50.3 KB · Views: 190
More pics

The black socket in the picture is for the front axle nut, for my 97 80 series.

20191102_145625.jpg

20191104_195109.jpg

20191104_195117.jpg

Thanks for the replies, here's a few more pictures. Again, the press plates shown are the old 4 notch style, not the 8 notch style that's in the DXF file above.

20190917_181632.jpg

20190917_181823.jpg

20190917_181837.jpg

20190917_181923.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures of the parts I added to the dial indicator, the U-shaped small part that hold the 10ga copper section is a "wire rope clamp" or "wire rope clip". Link to wire rope clamp

Below is the copper wire attached to the dial indicator, then all the parts separate. I did it this way since I didn't have a better way to make the dial indicator tip long enough.

20200719_181030.jpg

20200719_181308.jpg

20200719_181329.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive

That is a really great setup you have for your rebuild. Congrats on the good work and sharing it with us. Its a big risk and big cost to rebuild an automatic.

very nice..... i've been mulling over rebuilding my spare a440 also. What rebuild kit did you you use?
I rebuilt my 1992 A440F transmission, with parts I designed and had laser cut for me, the files to make those parts are attached.

There are a few different Special Service Tool (SST) kits recommended for rebuilding these. One appears to be discontinued, the other might still be available but it's about $980 USD at the time I'm posting this.

Those kits are here:
https://toyota.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=09350-36010-01 - this appears to be discontinued
https://toyota.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=09350-30020-01 - this cost about $980

I wasn't going to spend over $1k USD on a special tool kit (after shipping costs).
After disassembling the transmission, I designed my own "tools" to serve in place of the kit I didn't buy.

I had the parts in the DXF files, laser cut from 3/16 stainless. Quantities for each are in the filename of each part.
3/16 was thick enough steel, but I don't recommend using thinner than 3/16", as it may not be strong enough. I only used stainless since that's the thickest I had available as the time of laser cutting, non stainless should work just as well.

I can only attach 5 files at a time, so I'll have to spread them over a few posts. Pictures will follow in the next post as well.
***The last DXF is on the end of the second post of this thread.

Other tools are needed:
A few bolts (for pulling the front pump and some of the clutch packs) M8 130mm long 1.25mm thread pitch Quantity of 2 Link
A 3 ft (1m) length of threaded rod with nuts (see pictures)
A dial indicator with stand and possibly some extensions to the end of the dial indicator. I added picutes and a link in a later post on this thread.

Notes:
1. If using different metal thickness than 3/16" for the DXF parts, then change the width of the angled notches in the press plates, and the notches in the end of the bars, as they are currently sized for 3/16", thicker metals won't mate together properly and thinner metals likely won't be strong enough.
2. I held the bars on to the press plates with thick rubber bands, like the ones used by the US postal system. See pictures.
3. There are two different press plates shown in the pictures, one has 8 notches for the bars on the sides, the other only has 4, I originally designed two different plates, for the different size circles but changed the design so both plates (2 are needed) will have all 8 notches in case one plate gets bent. This will likely reduce your cost to have them cut since they have to deal with less DXF files.
4. I tried a few different types of tape to hold the circles to the ends of the bars, the aluminum tape shown in the first picture worked the best. It's similar to thick aluminum foil with adhesive on one side and is for ductwork (like heating and air conditioning vents in a home or business). Without the tape, the bars could slip off the circles, possibly damaging the transmission components.

One other important thing, please take a minute to thank the moderators for all they do here. They were very receptive to my request to allow DXF files to be attached to posts, that change is what makes this thread possible.

Open source info:
All the DXF parts in the first and second posts of this thread are of my own design and I'm releasing them freely for anyone to use them for whatever purpose, including personal and commercial use (if you want to use these to assemble and sell your own kit, please do so) without restrictions. I would hope you would give me credit for the design, but I release these without restrictions on IH8MUD as a small thank you to this community and as a way for me to give back to this community for all the ways it's helped me over the years. If you use or are inspired by this, please give back as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom