Builds A Troopy Finds Its Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders,
In early March i got my Troopy on the road; this is the one that was the subject of the 'Troopy Build' thread. It is only just now that i have time to start a thread and let Mud know what it's like.
It's fantastic. My only comparison is my old 61, which is rather well-worn and tired by now, so there's not much to compare. I drove a Troopy for the first time in Kenya many years ago ('93), too long ago to remember details, apart from the fact that i rather liked it. I wanted one.
The Troopy is noisy: as well as the engine and exhaust noise, you can hear the gearbox quite often, at parking speeds you can listen to the power-steering pump, the ride is less than soft, and so on in that vein. Which is why it's fantastic, as that is exactly what i want in a car: one that doesn't isolate you from the driving experience and what the car is doing. No automated and/or electronic gizmo is doing your work as a driver; you want something to happen or not to happen, you as a driver must make it so. I love the feel of a direct mechanical connection from the controls to what is actually happening. And the exhaust sounds great to me; i wonder if it would be tiring on a long drive, however i am happy to make that compromise. It sounds so good to me that, when it's hot such that i open the passenger side window, as well as the driver's window (the exhaust tailpipe is on the passenger side), and i am near a wall that bounces the sound back, i make as much of a racket as i can, like blipping the revs when down-shifting. It would be fair to label me a happy juvenile then.
old&newCruisers 003.JPG

There are some very, very thoughtful touches in this build. The added red marker lights on the rear bumper extensions, for one; the discreetly-located 12volt outlets in the overhead console is another. It is evident that a lot of thought and work have gone into this build: the coolant heater is tucked away, and it must have taken a lot of patience to package the engine compartment as it is (recall, if you've seen the 'Troopy Build' thread, that an after-market turbo, intercooler, second battery, and an air compressor were added to the engine compartment). The overhead consoles are, pardon the repetition, fantastic, front and rear, as well as the storage bins lining the sides and rear doors. Highly recommended. The build quality of these is a pleasure to see. Second to none, in fact.
The car has good power (to go with the kids' sounds); i cannot say it accelerates quickly, as it is more of an agricultural implement than a car. It never ceases to impress me, whenever i drive a new car/pick-up/whatever, how quiet, fast, and comfortable modern vehicles are; this one's the opposite. So i do have to be careful in traffic, but that is no bother. This car is exactly what i want, and i find it an easy pleasure to drive in any conditions. And if i'm not up to it, i pull over and have a snooze: so the driver's seat that has been modified to slide back more than normal, as well as the seatback that will tilt close to horizontal, makes for a decent nap without resorting to crawling in the back to lie down. Perfect.
With the aluminium panels in place of the four side windows behind the door glass, one loses rear side vision, and the driver must be careful to adapt. I have had close calls due to that, but that is another adaptation i am glad to make. And i have the windows for those, so i am able to re-install them if i want to. No, i haven't installed convex mirrors additions; but i can yet.
For highway cruising, i have had it up to 130km/h (80 mph), just to see what it could do and what it was like (i tend not to push it to redline). It is not, of course, what this car is made for. I long ago got tired of being in a hurry for everything i do; i've plenty of opportunity for that when i am working (i tend to do nothing but work then, when i can afford it, i'll have nothing to do with work at all). So i am very happy to kick along at a pace that suits the car, and i'll live with its capabilities. I find the car is happy to cruise at 85-95 km/h; it can travel faster, but i'm not interested; if i wish to blow my brains out with speed, i'd have another car. Or i'll get on the motorbikes and calm the speed demons that way; not with this car, and i am perfectly satisfied with that. I am biased, however: this is a great car.

Hello Mudders,
Yes indeed, Crushers did some damn fine work, no exaggeration.
Unfortunately,
75asrecvd 004.JPG
75asrecvd 006.JPG
75asrecvd 006.JPG not all is well in my troopy world. I may have had oversized expectations in that i was expecting a vehicle that would be ready to go and good for the road right away. That wasn't the case and, come what may, there were significant disappointments.
On the first day i initially drove the car, once i got home i figured i'd go for a play on frozen, snow-covered fields next door. In four-wheel-drive, of course. I figured i'd check out the low-range, but was unable to get the transfer case in low-range; i attempted shifting it perhaps twenty times, without success, and finally the transfer case lever came off in my hand. I'm not kidding.
The steel of the transfer lever shaft looked exactly as if it had been cut, with a powered tool (portable band saw?), as the heat marks showed. As well, it looked as if it had nearly micoscopic spits of welding metal on its circumference. Not enough, and not good.
This was in late December last year; i noticed (well of course) that at times there was some heat, although not much; most of the time, however, there wasn't any. At all. My experience of diesel Cruisers is that they don't make much heat, no surprise from an Ozzie Cruiser, but not acceptable in Canada where we'll see -30C.
It turned out that the coolant was the colour of rust, and had particles of rust in it the size of coffee grounds; so the thermostat got clogged. More repair work: flushes. I wasn't terribly impressed. The photos are of the coolant, and the rusty liquid was up to the rad cap.

75asrecvd 013.JPG

75asrecvd 015.jpg

The list isn't short, i'm afraid. There was a seal on one axle end that was installed backwards; there was an axle gasket that was not a whole circular seal, that it was cut was seen when the axle end was opened. The grease wasn't clean, it was full of dust, gak, whatever.
There were lights and gauges that didn't work, and it turned out to be that some of the electrical connectors behind the dashboard had not been connected. More work for me to pay for. There were seals missing at the top of the gearbox and transfer case, welcoming in whatever dirt and crap was around.

troopieissues'14-'15 067.JPG

troopieissues'14-'15 040.JPG

troopieissues'14-'15 059.JPG

troopieissues'14-'15 063.JPG

troopieissues'14-'15 036.JPG

There were missing washers, sometimes lockwashers, sometimes nuts, sometimes bolts, sometimes the set. I wondered why the rear doors were squeaking when on the road, especially when it was cold; i found that the striker plate for the larger of the two rear doors had one bolt missing, and the remaining two were loose. Both front fenders had three bolts missing. I must yet drill out threads here and there and re-tap them, as their respective bolts cannot get a grip, in other words the receiving threads were stripped.
Rubber boots were cut/torn on shafts, see the pictures. I had requested that i wanted everything in top shape. It could be my fault i expected to get what i asked for.
One issue that yet continues to bedevil me is the rear fuel reservoir. The fuel isn't getting picked up, such that with well over half the reservoir's capacity available (up to two-thirds these days), the engine dies. Thank christ for the front fuel tank. At first i assumed the fuel pick-up point for the rear tank was getting clogged (i assume a fine-mesh filter screen surrounds it)), so i filled and drained the rear tank a few times with water. Not that i wanted to use water, but it is a stainless tank, and i hadn't much choice as the car is my daily driver. As well, it is a royal pain to remove the fuel tanks, since they were installed before the body was put on; i have yet to remove the fuel tanks, but i may have to do that in the near future. I filled, flushed, and drained the rear tank two dozen times, because what came out was downright shocking. Lots of it. See the pictures; there was a VERY large amount of the sort of crap that flies off cutting and grinding wheels when using an angle grinder; there were cuttings, stainless ones, of the kind produced when drilling stainless steel. In other words, the fuel tank had not been cleaned out after it was fabbed. I took all kinds of pictures, but i only include two here. What i include are only two examples, there was lots more to it than that (as i say, i filled and flushed two dozen times, before what was coming out could be considered negligible, or acceptable). I have no choice but to assume the same will have to be done with the front fuel tank and the water reservoir.
I yet do not know what is causing this fuel issue; it could be the location of the auxiliary fuel pump. Time will tell.
These are the most egregious issues; there are others.

troopieissues'14-'15 009.JPG

troopieissues'14-'15 010.JPG

troopieasrecvd 004.JPG

rearfueltnk1st&2ndflush 001.JPG

I've just noticed the 'trophies' some of you have placed in response to my first thread. Thank you, but i must ask that you wait until i post the less-than-happy news; some of what i wish to say is not considered good news.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me with him. My Troopy took over a year and he did all the work in the final week before I came to pick it up. Hey 61, I ended up with your side panels and front and rear consoles. I also ended up with that god awful pizza box hood. On my Troopy, when I complained he touted me "turning me in". He thought I imported it illegally. I got rid of that Troopy. Yea, he has globetrotter now. Let's see what he will have to say in a few months. I feel for you. I also got taken really really bad. Worst ever. I got to give it to him he got me good. Well that's three of us the green hzj40, you, and me if that makes you feel any better.

This really is a let down. Your build thread was one i followed pretty closely. I found it awkward that it stopped where it did. Do you have any avenue for recourse? Is anything being done to make it right?

Hello T-ridecruiser and others,
I hate to read of your misfortune (a heart-breaker for a car lover), T-ridecruiser, but you remind me of something i did last year and the year before that. I knew that Crushers had done a few builds in the past, and that at least some of them were posted on Mud; so i went looking for threads, some kind of feedback, from their owners on this site.
I could not find any. Granted, i lack patience to look through the huge number of threads on Mud; all the same, after two hours or so spent, on three occasions i looked for owner feedback for those builds, i found nothing. That doesn't say they aren't there, it just says i could not find any. All the same, with that much time spent looking, i could not help but wonder why i couldn't find any owner input; how difficult could it be?
At any rate, i asked myself why. It is possible i now know.
Please don't get me wrong: when i say that some of the design, workmanship, and results are second to none, i mean it. Yet the disappointments are major headaches that i will be dealing with and paying for, for some time to come.
I will post more, with more of the issues i have had to, and yet must, deal with. There is more yet, unfortunately.
By the way, i am perfectly happy with the pizza-box hood scoop; but that is subjective, hey!
Siflersmom, recourse is a waste of time, in that i cannot afford lawyers. One learns to get over things and move on. There was a period of time, a very long one, when i was in a rage; i maintained e-mail communications with Crushers and refused telephone conversation as i didn't think i could keep my cool talking to him. As i say, you get tired of the anger and move on.
Thanks for the kind words, folks; i'm sorry i'm not replying to each of you individually.

Hello Locked79,
You're not wrong about appalling; and i am honestly enjoying this troopy. I am heavily biased, but it is really a great car.
I do want to list as much of the issues as possible that the poor thing arrived with.
There are six studs, three on each of the spare carriers. The car was shipped with the spares mounted on the spare carriers, and i found out after the car's arrival that those studs had only been tacked on, and some were beginning to pull through. See the pictures of the original studs. I could not help but shake in my panties at the time imagining the potential carnage to people/vehicles/anything were a spare wheel to fall off at highway speeds.
There were fluid leaks in the power steering and the fuel systems. In fact the fuel system had LOTS of leaks, which took a while to sort out (after its arrival, my car was in my mechanic's shop for a little over three months to get it roadworthy, although that includes time waiting for parts). In fact it still leaks, there is one at the rear tank fuel cap (i'm on my fourth cap, i still don't know why it leaks), and somewhere near the top of the filler neck of the front fuel tank. The slave cylinder boot was cracked. The windshield washer fluid reservoir had been filled with a non-winter fluid and, as the car was shipped in late October/early November, that stuff froze, breaking the reservoir cap; at least the reservoir didn't break.
As an aside, that windshield juice reservoir on my troopy is ridiculously small; if anyone out there knows of a larger capacity one i can replace it with (with cap please!), i'd love to hear from you.
The car came with a key for the doors and the ignition, but the key didn't work on the driver's door; in other words the driver's door lock cylinder had been replaced. Not what i consider practical. The alternator belts (a twinned pair) were loose; the gearshift lever was from a left-hand-drive vehicle, and mine is RHD. So that lever was angled way off to the left, away from the driver. I did have the gearbox and engine replaced, so fine the replacement items came from a LHD vehicle. You'd think the owner at the very least would have been informed (i got the lever heated and bent to suit). On a more minor note, some screws are the wrong ones, as the photo of the two screws show: the small one is what was used to hold down the plates on the door sills, and the larger one is the correct one. That on its own isn't really a big deal, it's just that i expect to find all kinds of issues like this as i slowly get to know the car. So far, that is indeed what is happening.
As the car is Japanese, its hardware and fasteners are metric; so i requested to have all its additional hardware and fasteners in metric sizes. It makes sense to have one set of tools, especially if one wishes to travel and live in one's vehicle where packing light is the way to go. I didn't get that, so now i have metric and imperial tools to haul around. Silly, to put it kindly.
By the way, if i may, i get parts from Akella/Cruiser Addiction; i mention this as he provides no issues, knows his stuff, keeps it simple and straightforward, so for whatever it's worth, i recommend him.

troopiebits 001.JPG

troopiebits 004.JPG

027.JPG

I have a large washer tank in great condition. I think it is from 60 Series and is 24 volt. Please advise if you're interested. I'm not sure where you are but I can ship it to you.
I have always thought Crushers was a jerk, knowledgeable but still a jerk. Your experience confirms this.
Good luck getting your truck sorted.
Peter

As an aside, that windshield juice reservoir on my troopy is ridiculously small; if anyone out there knows of a larger capacity one i can replace it with (with cap please!), i'd love to hear from you.

If Peter's option doesn't fit the bill, I bought a new/larger one 70-series specific from Onur @beno (I am sure @cruiserdan can also provide it) which I thought the part number was posted on the link below. I just quickly browsed the thread and couldn't find it, maybe I just missed it:

AVAILABLE 7X SERIES PARTS--USA MARKET

I would send those guys a note, they can set you straight.

-Alberto

P.S. I can look for the part number when I get home and post it back here if that helps.

I seem to recall a thread a few years ago about a fibreglass 40-Series Crushers built, with a 1HZ. The owner reported similar issues.

Experience seemed similar to yours, some parts very well done and others seemingly completely neglected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom