A small clunk/play at the steering rack and pinion inner joint on pass. side (1 Viewer)

I found about 1-2 mm play on the inner joint on my passenger side steering rack. The rack is refurbished and has no leaks. I found the play by moving the wheel at 3 and 9 O clock positions. No play at the wheel bearing or at the D-bushing on the steering rack (installed an oem bushing a month ago).

Can the inner joint be adjusted? I am yet to open the boot and inspect, but waiting to receive the crimping tool to put back the boot clamp once removed.

Does a brand new OEM rack comes with this inner joint?

Thanks

hoser

SILVER Star
There is no adjustment for the inner TRE. The plastic sleeve/bearing between the ball and cup wear out and you get play. OE on the right, 555 on the left. Yes, new rack comes with inner TRE's.

img_1233-jpg.1398532

There is no adjustment for the inner TRE. The plastic sleeve/bearing between the ball and cup wear out and you get play. OE on the right, 555 on the left. Yes, new rack comes with inner TRE's.

img_1233-jpg.1398532
Thanks!
Looked at the price of an OEM inner and ouch! that's expensive! I am NOT a fan of 555 brand.
I think the best option is to go with a brand new steering rack.

The steering rack part number is 44250-60050 and this comes with inner tie rods, correct?
Anyone found this for less than $500 please let me know

Thanks

Last edited:

hoser

SILVER Star
I definitely prefer OE inner TRE's but a pair is about half the cost of a new rack. The rack probably outlives the TRE's 2 to 1. So, what do you do? The TRE's are easy enough to swap out and so I think 555 to buy some time is a good decision for many ($90/pr).

I definitely prefer OE inner TRE's but a pair is about half the cost of a new rack. The rack probably outlives the TRE's 2 to 1. So, what do you do? The TRE's are easy enough to swap out and so I think 555 to buy some time is a good decision for many ($90/pr).
That's a good point!
Never though the rack outlives the ITR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom